best stitch for variegated yarn?

corachet

Question

5 answers to this question

I would stick with simpler stitches (sc, hdc, dc) - almost any stitch will show off a variegated yarn, but the stitch will not be so visible (with some you will almost not be able to see it). It tends to dominate whatever item you put it on. That's JMO, though, lol.

I use plain stitches to show off variegated yarn and i love to mix and match different colours randomly.I make afghans,shawls,scarves anything i love colour and have a hard time making up my mind. happy crocheting! Jacqui

For me, it depends on whether the varigated/ombre segments or short or long. Short ones get single crochet, often in a ripple/chevron wityh a complimentary solid. Long ones get double crochet, often in a granny or v-stitch, sometimes with complimentary colors, sometimes not.

Another vote for simple stitches here. IMO, either you want the yarn to stand out, or the pattern to stand out, not both. To me, multicoloured yarns make a lot of patterns hard to see from a distance--even a simple shell--so I'd rather do a very simple stitch so there's nothing for the yarn to compete with. I think the fanciest I'd personally get would be, as the PP said, a ripple stitch with a complementary solid color.

Archived