dwiggicb

i just CAN NOT get crocheting in the round! so dang frustrated

Question

when I say working in the round...im referring to making things like mandalas where the colors change every row or so...ive searched and searched online tutorials, but none seem to show me what I want.

after I complete 1 round....slip stitch with same color WHERE???  then...to change a color.  start new color with slip knot and start where?? 

do these questions make sense?? its hard to ask crochet questions when what I really really need is a warm body right beside me..then I could get it..

any idea of pointing me in the right direction??

10 answers to this question

slip stitch is almost always done in the top of the turning chain.  To change colors usually it is done by finishing the last stitch's yarn over with the new yarn.  So the last 2 loops pulled through on a double crochet would be with the new color.

• Like 1

If starting a new round with new color often you can start wherever you want, as long as the st patt lines up right. Start with either a ch or a standing stitch.

• Like 1

Standing stitch:  finish off your old color.  Put the new color on your hook with a slip knot, insert your hook into the piece and continue.  The knot will be at the top of the stitch, versus other ways of changing colors where the color change is at the bottom of the new row of stitches.  The standing stitch method looks a little cleaner where the colors transition.

Lmao you explained your issue perfectly....just not everyone likes to admit we all thought the same thing when we started....

I didn't know about the standing stitch so I looked it up and it's neat.

Standing stitch

I love the standing stitch but don't use a slip knot.  I just yarn over instead.  No knot

• Like 1

Ok I guess I have done the standing stitch and didn't know it since I use a slip knot, who knew.  The website posted shows without using a slip not and you can see it doesn't look as good as using the slip knot.  Mary

the web site posted does use a slip knot.  The standing stitch I use I yarn over the hook twice and double crochet from there. 

for a standing st I always use a slip knot, seems to work better for me.