How to stiffen crochet?

Lauren Judy

Question

Last night I finished putting together a Piranha Plant amigurumi ( Picture attached- sorry its sideways. Doing this on my phone). I used a bendable thick wire as support for it in the stem, thinking it would be neat if he were posable. This morning when I woke up, he was drooping with his head near the table. Turns out the wire isn't strong enough to support the poor guy's head for more than a few hours! It's super sewn in, attached to a foam ball in his head and a foam ball in the base. It would be nearly impossible to get it out and replace it without ruining the piece...

Is there any way I could stiffen the yarn that makes up the stem to keep him standing? Glue? Some sort of magical crochet hardening concoction?

post-72036-0-46002300-1401925032_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Have you tried putting a stiffer wire next to the original wire.  That way you will have 2 wires to hold up the head.  You may have to put the wire thru the head then down the stem.

I use stiffy and I do not think that, that will even stiffen the stem enough to hold up the head.  Let us know if you get it done.

I do love the ami, it is so cute.

If you have a wire coat hanger, you could cut a piece long enough to stick inside the head, down the stem of the plant, then down into the soil. Just be careful while inserting the wire not to snag the stitches.

Or if you don't have a heavier wire, maybe more strands of the same wire, maybe twisted together.  I'm not sure how to say how to replace without ruining, however.  I agree that there's no starch/glue that I'd trust to hold it up.

Is that Audrey?  (Little Shop of Horrors)  (now I have that song going thru my head) She's adorable!

Unfortunately, the wire that is holding him up is pretty thick. It pretty much fills the stem so sticking another one in there with it is going to be tough. A friend of mine has suggested trying floral wire, since it's thin but pretty strong. I'm going to get some this weekend and try to weave it into the back of the stem.

Is that Audrey?  (Little Shop of Horrors)  (now I have that song going thru my head) She's adorable!

It was actually supposed to be more Mario piranha plant inspired. But I've had more than a few people tell me it reminds them of Audrey. So I guess it's just your run-of-the-mill friendly neighborhood flesh-eating plant.  :)

It was actually supposed to be more Mario piranha plant inspired. But I've had more than a few people tell me it reminds them of Audrey. So I guess it's just your run-of-the-mill friendly neighborhood flesh-eating plant.  :)

:rofl :rofl:rofl

Love Audrey.

Archived