Problems with basic stitches

tinkerpuppet

Question

I am just learning the basic stitches from a book and doing lots of practice swatches. I think I have single crochet down, but when I do a half double crochet or a double crochet, there are small spaces between the stitches, where the pics in the book show a solid fabric (like my single crochet). Also my dc doesn't have straight edges. Can someone have a look and let me know if they can see what I'm doing wrong?

Here is my sc, I feel pretty comfortable with it, and there are no spaces between stitches (like the picture in the book). I used a 6.0 hook.

Picture074.jpg

This is my half double crochet. There are spaces, I've tried different tensions, but its still 'loose'. I used a 6.0 hook.

Picture075.jpg

And this is my dc. Again there are spaces. I've tried different tensions and different hooks. This is with a 3.5 hook. Also, the edges are wavey, not straight.

Picture076.jpg

Any advice would be great!

4 answers to this question

:think :think :think :think :think :think :think :think

What you are doing wrong, is very common with beginners.

:think When you are doing rows, the top of the stitch appears to be to the right of the actual stitch on one row, then to the left on the next.

:think When doing rounds the top of the stitch always appears to be on the right.

:think On your DC row, you should NOT be working into the stitch immediately below the CH3 as this will increase a stitch, but you also DO need to work into the top of the turning CH from the beginning of the row before.

:think The way you are doing it, you are keeping the same number of stitches but ending up with the bumps on the sides.

:hook With your SCs, I always do one CH as I turn then work into ALL stitches, including the one that the CH sits on, then you are not trying to work into a single CH at the end of the row. Keeps the edges straight too.

:hook With the HDCs, It is the same as the DCs, miss the stitch the turning CH is on and be sure to work into the CH at the end of the row.

Make sure you work into the top of the stitches properly. Just go into the top two loops, then you get a ridge facing as you do each row. The top of the stitch is different to a normal DC.

:hook Have a good look at your stitches, so you learn to recognise them and will immediaely know when you do something wrong.

:hook I do not use HDCs unless I really have to as they are not my favourites.

:cheer Hope this is helpful.

Colleen.:hug

I agree with Aggie in regards to almost everything. Except the HDCs......I prefer them over DCs. About the bumps, you obviously are counting your stitches but putting your first DC into the same stitch as your starting ch3 (which I prefer to do a ch2 instead as it prevents a 'hole' between the ch2 and first DC). Then at the end, because you are counting your stitches, you are stopping 1 stitch short, creating the lopsided or bumpy effect. About the holes between your DCs, I think that's due to your tension. It appears you have a loose tension (which is a good thing most of the time). Either try tightening your tension or using a smaller hook than what your project calls for and see if that helps. The tighter your tension, the closer your stitches will be to each other. The looser your tension, the more open or 'holier' your stitches. HTH

Thanks for your help! I'm still pretty new to the terminology of crochet, so I'm going to take some time to decifer what you both suggested, but I think I know what you mean. I tell you, crocheting is like learning a whole different language! :lol

Archived