Ipad cover concept

Misty Lucas Cma

Question

I have a concept for an Ipad cover, but I can't figure out a method to make it come to life. Attached is a picture of what  I want the design to be. The problem is that I can't figure out how to get it the right dimentions. I estimate the dimentions of the cover to be about 10" x 7.5". I tested a 1 round dc granny square with a size 8 steel hook in a size 3 thread and the square was about 1" accross. The larger image is 16 square. I thought about doing a double crochet cover where each stitch is a block, but A: I don't know if the image would be lost and B: there are a lot of color changes. I worry that doing it that route would be difficult.

Does anyone have other ideas about how I can bring this concept to life? I appreciate any and all imput.

post-70573-0-46368700-1401048817_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

You would want to use SC not DC.  SC is very nearly square; Mario would be very skewed (tall and skinny) if you used DC.

Try a test swatch in sc to get an idea of your gauge.  You can carry some of the smaller color jumps across the back side of the  cover; and yes, there will be a lot of ends to weave in.  If you are worried about the messy back, you could line it with fabric.

I wouldn't recommend a granny square at all, just straight sc.  Every sc stitch is a square on your graph paper.

A granny square is worked in the round (which is giving me a headache thinking of how to follow a picture graph in the round), and has holes in it, which would really make the image hard to see.  You would have had to graph the images like a checkerboard, with every other square blank--you wouldn't get the effect you want at all, I think it would just look like random color spots.

I think there was a sticky link somewhere here about 'graph ghans' that might help explain, I'll try to link it....well, not finding it but here's another tutorial that might help.

http://crochetcabana.com/html/technique_chartcolors.html

I got to thinking about this - did you perhaps mean filet, not granny square? 

Filet is mesh fabric typically made up of either 3 DC stitches for a solid mesh, or 2 chains and a DC for an open mesh. (Although, you wouldn't want any open meshes, I'd think).

http://www.hassdesign.com/BasicFiletTechniques/

I still recommend sc for your pattern.  It will look neater. 

Are you sure you want to use thread? ... even a Sport Weight yarn would give you more protection.

You might also think about working plain and making motifs that you stitch onto your base cozy.

Archived