What is Your Crochet Perspective?

So, what is your crochet perspective? What styles do you gravitate towards? How do you decide what pattern you choose? Do you have a favorite hook size? Do you specialize in afghans, doilies, etc?

I kind of have a short list of qualifications before I start/design a new pattern. I make afghans almost exclusively with some exceptions.

(1) Contrast of texture - does it incorporate multiple textures - popcorn, cables, ripple, basic stitches, etc.

(2) Color flexibility - lately, I have been gravitating towards vintage styling. The patterns, if they are vintage, I like to use modern colors. If the technique is more modern, I like to incorporate vintage colors.

(3) Adaptable to different fibers - most afghans seem to be written for acrylic yarn. I have noticed not all patterns look good with natural fibers. Though I do use acrylic for afghans, the past few years I have wanted to challenge myself to incorporate different fibers and weights in yarn. I am finding I like the drapability of natural fibers much better.

(4) "J" hook - Recently, my favorite hook size is J. I find most afghan patterns are not big enough for me. I am a tall guy at 6'5". I like to use my afghans I make. I usually like to use a J hook because it adds more length and width for me. I usually increase to a pretty bulky yarn so the work looks tighter. I also like the added weight it gives.

I do like to use smaller hooks on occasion, though, if I am hooked on the pattern and doesn't look good in a J hook.

(5) Crochet Dense - I am drawn to afghans that use a lot of single crochet work in the different techniques. I find it gives almost a woven look when I combine the other points above.

The majority of my work is done for charitable organizations so I tend to gravitate to easy but pretty patterns, often incorporating different stitches to keep it interesting since they are going to those in need and I like for them to have something special.

I do use all different colors, that will appeal to a vast range of people.

Due to the nature of my work, I tend to use more acrylic since I do not know if there will be a problem with allergies.

When I am adapting a pattern that has multiples  I like J or K, depending on if it is for a baby, toddler, teen or adult. I  do use specific patterns and will use that size hook specified unless I want it a little bigger.

I love to vary pattern stitches, whether it is a specific pattern or one that uses multiples so I can adjust the size. I do afghans, hats, scarves, preemie items, prayer shawls, wherever the need is greatest.

Roe

I teach a crochet class at our local Senior Center, and our work, like Roe, is done mostly for charitable organizations.  We each have our own preference for the size of hook--my own personal preference is K.  We crochet afghans for Veterans' hospitals and Childrens' hospitals.  I have contacted these hospitals, and they ALL request NO wool!  So we use acrylic yarn exclusively.  We use a lot of donated yarn, so we make many bright, colorful afghans!  For our prayer shawls, we like to vary the patterns, (again--no wool!) and use colors that are comforting.  We are totally non-profit, so we take special orders for baby things, scarves, afghans, purses, etc., and make those in the colors and yarns requested.  We also make many things for Crafts Shows, so we use thread and smaller hooks, as well.

But mostly--we just do what we love--crochet!!! 

I let my feelings tell me what I want to work on.  Right now, I'm making a sweetheart ripple afghan, one of my favorite patterns by Kim Guzman.  It's for my daughter-in-law in her wedding colors of pink and gray.  Some of the things I've finished recently are: a shawl to be mailed to someone who recently showed me some kindness, some baby items that have been mailed to California for a nicu, and items that I list in my Etsy store in the hopes of off-setting some of the cost of the yarn.

I've designed a few things myself.  But I'm not heavy into designing yet.  I do have an idea floating around in my head for a design, but need to finish a few more things that have been sitting on the "back burner". 

My yarn of choice is acrylic - I can't afford $8 - $10 per skein no matter how much I love the look or feel of it.  My favorite hook sizes are G and H.  And I hope to start practicing with some thread soon so that I can make a christening outfit for a grandchild on the way.

The prayer shawl ministry that I belong to only has one requirement and that is the size, it needs to be 20-22 inches wide and at least 60 inches long. We can do any pattern stitch we want. I often take afghan patterns that have multiples and adjust the size and hook to make it the required size and go from there.

Roe

That's great, Avon Lady!  The prayer shawls sound good.  Do you use particular patterns for them or design your own?

I do both!  Just this morning, in our Prayer Shawl meeting, the Prayer Shawl Ministry closet had some yarn that I wanted to use, and couldn't think what pattern to use!  I went through all our Prayer Shawl books, and some books with afghans in them--still couldn't find THE pattern!  So I just started crocheting, and let the yarn and the hook tell me what to do!  I'm combining some dc stitches together and coming up with a fairly decent pattern.  The yarn is Vanna's Choice "Woods Print"--a rather drab variegated--but it was the only yarn that "spoke to me"!  So I'm making a man's prayer shawl with it.  It's very similar to Red Heart's "Camo" but not nearly as bright.

The prayer shawl ministry that I belong to only has one requirement and that is the size, it needs to be 20-22 inches wide and at least 60 inches long. We can do any pattern stitch we want. I often take afghan patterns that have multiples and adjust the size and hook to make it the required size and go from there.

Roe

Roe, it sounds like you and I are doing many things alike!  Our prayer shawl ministry requires the same size as yours.  And I also use stitch patterns out of afghans for shawl ideas!  (I just wish EVERY pattern had a "multiple" listed!  It sure would make our jobs easier, huh??!)

Oh yes, I love Vann's Choice yarn. For acrylic, I find the texture to be superb. Currently, I am making an acrylic afghan using Red Heart's With Love which is also ok - not my favorite, but way better than the super saver red heart yarn.

YarnJeannie: G and H hooks are great for using acrylic yarn. I feel like acrylic with G/H hooks shows patterns very well. Personally, I find the larger hook size I use, the more blending of fibers I need to consider because not only the texture of the pattern speaks, but the larger stitches shows the texture of the yarn. My mom is a crochet goddess, though, and swears by G and H hooks with acrylic fiber to show a complex pattern.

I like making afghans, but have this WIP problem lol.  Working on 2 at the same time right now and know of at least 2 that are waiting for me to return and love them.

I like making round ripple with self striping yarns.  Big ones, baby ones, inbetween ones...

My next thing is hats.  I love the divine hat pattern and like to use it with self striping yarn.  They are a great donation hat as they look good in most any yarn.  

I usually stick with acrylic for price and also that anyone can use/wear it if it is acrylic.  

I and J are hooks I use most often.  I did a baby RR in a g hook..I thought it was going to take forever.  It was just short of that..

Colors..I tend to use colors I like and find it hard to work with colors I don't care for.

Perspective, huh?   I guess I never thought of crochet as having a perspective before.  I think my projects choose me more than the other way around.  I see or feel a yarn and fall in love with it.  Then thoughts of what kind of look I want starts whirling around....lacy, solid, patterned, difficult, easy....till it settles on something.  I'm not gifted as a designer but I love looking at patterns and imagining how to jazz it up or change the size or use it to make a whole different item.   Babies are always great to crochet for and I use serviceable soft yarns and solid patterns to keep from catching little toes and fingers.  I'm picky about supplies for pet items because they chew on everything...using organic stuff that will digest easily....lol.   

I love clothing but they are a bugger to make fit right so I do a lot of measuring....rarely a surprise gift here.  And, afghans are my mindless love.  I like repeat patterns where I can just sit and crochet, and crochet and crochet and let my thoughts float along.

Hooks are my "fun" thing.  I never used to swatch much except clothing but now I totally "groove" on swatching with all sizes of hooks, often 2 or 3 sizes in one pattern.  I pretty much swatch everything just see how it will look. I have way more hooks than a sane person should own....lol....yet,  find I am always on the look out for OLD/VINTAGE hooks wherever I go.  They often feel or look like there is a story locked away inside them so they come home with me to start a new chapter.

Yarns are a bit more complicated.  For gift giving I try and stick to yarns that are USER friendly.  I don't want the person receiving the gift to worry about care.  For one use items such as weddings or christenings or burial gowns I like to splurge and use the best that I can afford.  

I have collected vintage crochet books, pamphlets and flyers for a great many years and often find myself marveling at the skill needed to produce lace wear, insertions, medallions and such 70, 80 or 100 years ago with a hook the size of a bristle and thread thinner than the finest of human hair.  Just reading old books has a tendency to change my perspective and give me a nudge to "hook" outside my comfort zone.  

Hmmmm.....yep, perspective has a real nice ring to it.  Thanks for giving me one more reason to love crochet.

I never thought about perspective I just knew I liked crocheting different things. I like working with both thread and yarn  depending on what I decide to do next. I  started in the 40's with the older leaflets from the dime stores doing doll dresses and doilies which are still my favorites. But over the years I have enjoyed designing and making other items too,  hats and scarfs for my family members, and also baby sweaters and accessories for friends and family.  Now I like doing shawls and sweaters and have just started into toys too. I never wanted to do charts until a few years ago when that's all they had for the shawls I did and now I would rather have them.  I use sizes D F and G for yarns depending on the wt. and sizes 7& 8 steel Susan Bates for thread. I like collecting older patterns and hooks and have won a lot of them on eBay, and also some of the Wooden hooks.

• 11 months later...

I've never really thought about it before. My nana taught me how to crochet. She did afghans only. Her mother my granny could crochet anything. Thats where I got my love of crochet.

I do afghans, hats, scarves, washclothes, face scrubbers, and coasters. I have done bookmarks, and snowflakes before. My most favorite thing ever to crochet is a granny square. I do lots of granny square afghans. I like doing hats for charity. If someone requests something I will try to the best of my ability to do it for them.

I have only ever used big box store yarn, and only acrylic and cotton. Red Heart Super Saver is my go to yarn, then Hobby Lobby's ILTY, and I like Sugar n Cream.

I use steel hooks. My fav sizes are G, H, and I. I use H the most.

Color I love color. I'm drawn to bright colors. Turquoise, pink, lime green. I use those colors all the time. They are such happy colors. I do love to use other colors as well. I like to think of seasons when getting yarn. What and who I'm making it for dictate color choice as well. I love variegated yarn. I have a ton of it. I'm drawn to the colors. I'm a huge lover of color. In all aspects of my life.

My crochet perspective: 1st! I crochet to keep my sanity and get calmed down, whatever the project, whatever the yarn, whatever the color, whatever the size hook. First, it is the process of crocheting that is most important. I do it to relax and get away from the stress of life. 2nd! As a general rule, I choose my projects based on usability. I mainly do hats, scarves, bags, etc. Something I can wear or use. As for the colors; if it is for me, I choose colors I normally wear; blues and greens and cool tones.  If I am making something for someone else, I try to use colors that go with their primary wardrobe. As for my yarn choice; since I am on a limited budget, I choose whatever is the best bargain and the most practical choice; that includes yard sale yarns, hand me downs from someone, and on sale yarns. 

I forgot to add one more important thing. Since the process of crocheting is more important than what I am making, I hardly ever use the exact same pattern twice. One thing I love about crochet is occupying my mind figuring out the puzzle of a new pattern. If I do use the pattern again I will modify it in some way so it will be different. Usually I will move onto something new for my next project. The doing, using my hands and my mind,  is more important to me than the finishing. 

Crochet is calming for me. It's my de-stressor. At the same time, I like making items that are useful and pretty at the same time.

I now have a lot of yarn, hundreds of skeins, and this gives me absolute joy! It's not like when I was young and had to scrounge for just barely enough for any project.

After being ill very long term when I couldn't crochet, I decided I will never again make anything I don't like, make anything for a person I don't like, or work with a yarn or color I don't like. Life is too short. Now I make happy crochet only!

I like to sc more than anything else, so I do. I like to make bags more than anything else, from tiny drawstring bags to huge totes. I use a lot of color, and have never repeated a bag yet.

I also like to make bath or shower cloths. I usually use dishcloth patterns, sometimes enlarging them. It's kind of odd, but I don't like to do dishes with these because they feel too fat to me, but I love them for a bath. They are soft and scrubby at the same time.

I also like to have a lot of projects in process at the same time. I have 3 different blankets going right now, 2 shawls, 2 scarves, 1 tote and 1 hat. I just finished a hat and 3 bath cloths.

Real Deal, I never thought of it in the way you describe it, but I am like you I like to make "happy crochet" too. Something that makes me feel better not more tense, because I am doing something that is unappealing in some way to  me.

Olg ~ the most important part of my prospective now is that my crochet is my joy. I usually love what I make. A couple weeks ago, my best girlfriend even reminded me of this when I was gritting my teeth over a piece I was making in star stitch. She asked me why I was making it when I had ripped it out 3 times and the pattern was still not working out right. I was turning into a nervous wreck. She was right. I threw the item out, got rid of the pattern, and moved on. There's soooo much yarn and even more patterns waiting to be made to make someone happy!

Amen to that, RealDeal. When I was a child, I would visit my grandmother. She was a crocheter too. She always told me, never spend your time making something that drives you crazy. And LOL she sure practiced what she preached. They had an open fireplace in the living room. One day she had worked and worked on a pattern with no success. Suddenly she said, "Humph, This is not worth letting it drive me crazy. " And do you know what she did next? Without another word, she tossed it into the fireplace and watched it burn to ashes before brushing off her hands and getting up to move on to something else. LOL! True it wasn't the safest way to teach a child about fire, but it sure was an unforgettable visual lesson on keeping the right attitude. She tried to teach me to crochet, but she was so fast I could never catch onto what she was doing. I bought a book and learned to crochet from that, but I have many happy memories of my crocheting grandmother. And I am blessed to have large pieces of lace that she made.   

olg - what a great story. I'm sure we've all had a few projects we would love to toss in the fire. I know I have!

I crochet almost exclusively for charity, so like others who do that, I use acrylic for ease of care for the recipient. I've made a few hats and didn't much like it, so I stick to lapghans. Unlike some others, I choose simple repetitive patterns and use a few go to patterns over and over. I listen to audiobooks while I crochet, and I want to be able to give my attention to what I am listening to, not what my fingers are doing. What is hard for me sometimes is that I get compulsive about producing things and finishing things, working with too much determination to get something done, and I have to remind myself when that happens that this is a hobby, not a job. 

Ok, heresy time. Yes, you can have too much yarn. I do. I have been working through parts of it to weed it. I used up or gave away all the Caron One Pound that I had totally fallen out of love with, and now I'm working through my somewhat smaller stash of  ILTY. I don't mind RHSS, though I admit some of the colors are dreadful textures and I try to avoid those, and I love the huge color selection. I have a love-hate relationship with variegated. I love it in the skein and generally hate how it works up, with a few exceptions. I have way too much of it, and I will be trying to use that up first after I finish with the ILTY. Eventually, I want to use it all up in donation lapghans, but that will be a work of years.

What I am in love with now is DK weight. I have a large stash of Stylecraft, as well as some Paton's, James C. Brett, and other odds and ends, all of which I ordered from the UK. It's been on hold while I was dutifully working on destashing the worsted, but I agree that life is too short to always eat the brussel sprouts first and somehow never get to the brownies. So I've started an afghan for myself with this yarn, and it's great to be finally getting to play with that. 

With the lapghans, I generally use an I hook, though I frequently went to a J with the heavier Caron One Pound. For the DK afghan I'm using an F, smaller than anything I've used before. I'm making small solid color granny squares, and I thought the recommended 4 mm was just a tad too loose. I think I can use that on a ripple though that will be my next DK project. Probably.

I like just about very color - except brown, which I find quite dreary, and never use it gladly. I like neutrals, but find them very boring to use by themselves. I generally prefer cool to warm, but, really, I like them all. I'm a card carrying color junkie. 

I'm usually a multiple project person. I chose the small squares because I can easily bring that to work for downtime, and I'm working on the one piece donation lapghans at home, two in progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I look for things that are extraordinarily beautiful in what I consider to be beauty. I want to make things that are amazing, beautiful and unique. I guess every crocheter does though, lol. 

I tend to use f and h alot, 

I go through phases in what I make. Sometimes I make afghans a bunch, then will go a long time without making them, sometimes I only make baby dresses. Right now I am in a dishcloth phase. :)

I don't have a crochet prospective, yet, unless it's anything new and different.  It's really interesting reading about everyone's perspective!

When I was a child, my grandmother came to visit us for a week.  She taught me how to make a granny square.  I practiced after she left, but never did anything with it.  I still have the yarn and sample squares.  When I was newly married and starting a family, I was determined to make my son's baby blankets in any stitch other than a granny square.  I have 2 sons and 2 baby blankets.  As they grew, I did cross stitch whenever I was over stressed.  When I became ill 10 years ago and could no longer work, I turned to cross stitch as a constant time filler.  The last thing I finished was a cross stitch lap quilt that took me 700+ hours for my mom.  I have 3 cross stitch projects that I can't seem to pick up and do for more than a few minutes at a time.

Three years ago, my oldest graduated college and my sister made him a beautiful quilt, so I crocheted a throw to go with it.  I tried to go back to cross stitching.  My younger son asked for a full size afghan and I told him that he'd get one when he finished college.  He quit, because he became a chef, instead.  So, last year I made him a queen size, very challenging afghan for his 25th birthday.  It took me 4 months, because I had to frog it so much.   I caught the crochet bug and made 5 more afghans in January and February this year. 

Now I'm learning new techniques and experimenting with different weights, types and fibers of yarn.  I'm also learning to make new things.  My current favorite is hairpin lace, because it's so quick, and chenille yarn, because it's so soft.  Since March, I've completed 9 shawls, 5 tea towel toppers, 2 baskets, 2 crochet hook cases and a tooth fairy pillow.  I'm also working on a granny square afghan that's 324 squares (squares are done, joining is not!  LOL)  I seriously hate doing granny squares!  Next up is broomstick, tunisian, double hook, intarsia and entrelac.  My goal is tatting and making clothing.

Crocheting is therapy for me.  I'm building my yarn stash and crochet repertoire.  I don't know if I'll settle into a favorite or not.  Right now, I'm just having a ball learning.  I have learned so much from the crochetville family!  I can't tell you how grateful I am for this forum and the kind souls that inhabit it.  I'm trying my best to give back knowledge (sometimes I can help and other times it's a miss.)  Thank you to the many angels in this forum!

P.S.  I'm lucky to live within a mile of an AC Moore, JoAnn's and Michaels that all take AC Moore's 50-60% off coupons.  I only buy yarn if it's at least 50% off.

• 3 weeks later...

I :crocheting to relax and keep away boredom. I like bright or medium pastel rainbow colors and multi colored :yarn . I just finished 2 baby afghans with bright rainbow colors with Soft White as the main color. I'm working on a c2c in RHSS Monet. I mostly use acrylic or cotton, because wool makes me itch. I have used Wool Ease (80% acrylic - 20% wool), but I couldn't :crocheting for more than an hour or so at a time. I was given a bag of very old  :yarn, some blended with nylon and polyester. I have hooks sizes B to N and many steel doily hooks. I have a hook that says "Quickie Hook" on it. It's so huge, you could :crocheting 3 strands bulky weight :yarn with it :lol . My favorite hooks are H and I, but it really depends on the :yarn. I like working in DC or TRC because they work up fast. I use SC for teddy bears, dolls and other stuffed things because it's more solid.

Ellie 13

• 2 weeks later...

I crochet a lot for charity.  I make prayer shawls, lapghans (for nursig homes),hats, and cat mats.  My go to yarn is red heart super saver for price. 

My favorite hook size is J and it must be boye.  

I like to use bright colors.  Though I tone it down a little if it's going to man/boy.

Right now I'm working on things to submit to our area fair.  Afterwards, I  will dontate the items.

Archived