How to crochet a sweetheart neckline

Kel27

Question

4 answers to this question

I think you are going to have to stop working in rounds, and work in rows (turning) for the last few rows at the top.  This is going to make your stitches look different.  You'll need to turn at the center front and decrease a stitch (or more) at each end.  The pattern of the decreases (each row? every other row?  other?) will vary and would depend on the stitch you are using, and how you want the shape of the neckline to look.  

Another way to do this might be to figure out how high and wide you want the 'dip' to be, and make it with quarter circles.  Instead of decreasing, switch to rows as I said above but leave a gap in the front equal to 2 sides of the quarter circles.  Make enough rows to equal the height of the side of the quarter circle.  Then, at one corners, attach the yarn and make several stitches into that 1 space to fill from side to side (calling this row zero), chain up, grab a stitch at the straight side to anchor your circle, make multiple stitches across (to lie flat; probably 2 stitches every row the first row, 1 stitch every row the second row, then 1 stitch every 3rd stitch the third row, and so forth.  This sounds more confusing than it is.  Edit - I've attached a sketch, the blue being the 2 quarter circles. post-13625-0-70818400-1400787537.jpg

I'd make a swatch and experiment over a small number of stitches before trying it on the garment, will save ripping out on the bigger piece.

Thank you so much, I have been working in rows using half double crochet with the intention of buttoning the back. I only want a slight sweetheart neckline as it's for a four year old. Is that possible to do with what you have described, sorry I only know basic crochet stitches at this stage. :-) it does sound a little confusing even though I'm sure it's not I will see what I can do.

post-71929-0-44345900-1400844936_thumb.jpg

post-71929-0-70958200-1400844989_thumb.jpg

OK, working in rows is a little different for the 2 ways I described.  When you reach the length where you want the bottom of the notch to be, you will start working across half the piece only - work from the button side, stop in the middle, turn, then work back to the button side.  

You'll come back and do the other half later, but you will start at the middle, and mirror what you did on the completed side.

Archived