Suggestion for Baby Blanket

Laraine

Question

Hi all,

I ordered I Love This Yarn  Iced Sugar Ombre in worsted weight.  I am going to be making a baby blanket about 24X36.  This is for my cousin to give to her grandchild to be.  I was thinking of making a corner to corner or maybe a basket weave stitch.  Since I have never made the basket weave pattern, I'm hoping someone can give me input on the thickness of the weave.  Do you think it would be too thick/heavy for a baby blanket in worsted?  Any suggestions for a pattern for a blanket, hat, booties, mittens using Ombre, would be super!  It has to be relatively simple as I haven't made anything too complicated. :think  Any and all suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Laraine  :hook

16 answers to this question

Beware that basket weave pattern is a yarn hog (or any heavily post stitched pattern is).

I suggest for ombre or variegated yarn that you pick a fairly simple stitch pattern.  Anything fancy will just get lost and look messy with all the color changes.

Sad news.  The girl I was making the baby blanket for miscarried.  I was actually making it for the grandma (my cousin) to give to her daughter's first baby.  I fell terrible.  I told her that I would put it away and if she wanted, I would complete it for the next time. Or forget about it.  I left it up to her if she wanted it.  She wanted to know how much she owed me, and I said nothing.  I couldn't possibly have her pay for the yarn. So my question/s,  personally, how would you feel if you were the grandma?  Would you want the blanket later on down the line when there is a new baby?  Or would you rather not?  I am feeling torn about it.  I may be over reacting, but I don't want her to feel the blanket was not meant for anyone else.  She (grandma) has already seen what I have made so far and loved it.  I'm sure she feels bad about the work put into it, but I don't want her to feel obligated to take it in the future.  :cry

I used the Box Stitch (corner to corner) with variegated yarns. I got the pattern from a link that was posted here. It's not too thick and works up quick. I agree 24" is a little narrow. If you want a rectangle afghan, 36" X 45" is good. Most baby afghans are not less than 34" and not more than 45". I've entered a contest once where they had a size limit of 32" - smallest, 37" - largest (including borders). I make a 36" (+/-) square or 36 - 6" squares crocheted together. I never really bother with measurements, as long as it's around 35" - 37".

Ellie 13

Such a sweet gesture to make this for your cousin's grandchild.

I love this baby blanket pattern, mostly because it is so quick to work up.

If I make some suggestions; If you use a fancier stitch with ombre or variegated yarns, the stitch pattern sometimes gets lost in the coloring of the yarn. Since this is a pastel ombre, it might work out okay. Making a test swatch will determine that for you.

Also, 24" wide is a rather narrow blanket for a term size baby. That size would usually be used for premie babies.

Hope this is a bit helpful and whatever you decide on, I'm sure will be wonderful. 

I gotta admit the "V" stitch baby blanket is my old standby...It works up fast, is simple to remember and makes a nice light weight blanket...Works good with ombre yarns too...It can always be varied with the size of the hook, using 1/2 doubles or even triples...It just depends on how thick you want the blanket to be...Work up a 25-30 stitch swatch and see if you like it...

Thank you both!  Very helpful.  I am intrigued about the sc, dc/ dc, sc idea and will give it a try when I get the yarn.  Very curious to see the way it looks.  Much appreciated.  I don't want to go too thick, so I think I'll leave the basketweave for another project.

One of my very favorite patterns for children is the "sc, dc" pattern.  Then you "dc over sc and sc over dc" across every row.  How much easier could it get LOL  The best part of this super simple pattern is that it's great for variegated/shaded yarns because it doesn't make strips of color, for some reason it "puddles".  I'm not sure why that happens, but it's a happy thing.  And it has a happy texture too.

There are probably several names for this pattern, but I'm too lazy to hunt it up.

I'm not a big fan of ombre yarn.  I love it on the skein but I never like anything that I try to make with it.  ......but to answer your question - a basketweave pattern works up very thick.  For the size you're making it won't be too heavy (weight) - a corner to corner might work better with the ombre and it'll be thinner - better for a baby.

Archived