Reading chart patterns

Hello crocheters,

I am a beginner crocheter, but I have already tackled on a few projects and my next one has proven impossible for me to read. A friend of mine has lended me her book and I have chosen to knit this collar, and even though I understand what each symbol means individually, I am not sure how everythig connects (see attached image). I am confused about the "end stitch" on both ends..which one is it? Also, after I chain the initial 31, what happens next? (I see an arch of more chain stitches going up row 1, but I am not sure how to knit this). Anyway help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

mississ

welcome to the ville :hook

row 1 is read right to left, row 2 is read left to right, etc.  After you do the 31 chains for the base, you need to chain 6 more for the turning chain and the first half-arch.  

You should probably review the site guidelines; it is a violation of copyright and of the site guidelines to post an entire pattern, or a photo or scan of a pattern.  

also don't be confused about the end sts.  there are 2 ends to your beginning chain, right?  that is just pointing out where the 31 sts begin and end.  it is just for counting purposes.  

Hi :hi and Welcome :welcome    to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

I wish I could help you, but symbols are beyond me right now.

Thank you for your reply, Kathy, this is actually a small part of a huge pattern....Could I post little closeups of it (not revealing the whole thing) as I go along, or is that a violation also? Please advise. 

I don't think we are supposed to post any kind of photo/scan of any part of a pattern.  We would need Amy (admin) to tell us for sure, I will message her.     I think it would be fine to sketch a little drawing of a part that you get stuck on, and post that.  

I can check out the book from my local library but it will take a few days to get it and my online time may be a bit limited as we are having houseguest.  But once I get the book I will be happy to post back and forth about the pattern.  

Another idea would be to post a new question under the Help section, with a title like "Crochet with Color help needed"---something to identify the book, and then you may get a reply from someone who owns the book.  

However, what I want to say in all seriousness, is that the very best thing you can do is to learn to use/understand the symbols.  Doing so will open up a world of patterns to you as far as patterns with no English text, and for many patterns that have English text and also diagrams, the diagram is a great backup or check for the text----the arrangement of symbols often can really clarify something that may not be clear from the words.  So----Have you used the symbols at all up til now?  I can recommend some tutorials if you need them.  

Hi everyone and thanks for your welcome!

Kathy, would it be OK for me to send you a private forum message with the pattern later on, when I am working on it?

I also started this blanket, 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-baby-blanket

It is very simple, but I do not know how to weave in the yellow color around the blanket (as shown on one of the photos). For some reason this is not explained in the pattern. Please advice, anyone who knows! Thanks!!!!

Misssiss

sending me the pattern would violate the copyright.  I will request the book from my local library and should have it by Monday, thenn we can discuss it in this thread.  

i haven't gotten a reply from Amy, but I still think it would be okay to make a little sketch of a part you need help with and post the sketch in the thread.  to me that is the equivalent of typing out a line of a written pattern.  

re the blanket---the borders in the project pictures were not done strictly according to the pattern.  the yellow is a round of sc ( i think) done in yellow, and then there is a final round of sc in blue.  

Also, what does it mean to "2 dc in each ch-2 loop". I don't understand the ch-2 loop part...

on previous row you made "loops" composed of 2 chain stitches.  now you will place 2 dc in that loop.  see tutorial https://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/crochet/crochet-in-the-chain-space

I have a question about beginnig with a chainless single cochet foundation, could i do it to combine the chaining of stitches plus row 1 of this pattern, or would i not get the sides right (right side vs wrong side) since i will do two things in one step?

With color A and an I hook, ch 101 loosely, or use J hook, as you do not want your beg ch to be too

tight.

SWITCH TO I HOOK IF YOU USED J HOOK TO CH.

R1: (rs) cont. w/ A, sc in 2nd ch from hook and across to end (100 sc), TURN

R2: (ws) cont. w/A, ch 3, dc in next st and in ea st across to end (100 dc), TURN

almost always the side of a stitch that faces you as you work it is the "right side".  if you start w/ a chain and then work back along the chain, the chain is actually a "wrong" side row.  then the first row of sts is the right side row.  if you do a foundation stitch where there is no starting chain, the foundation stitches are the right side row. ( note that each foundation stitch is actually a chain and a single/double/etc. stitch.  )

so in this case if you skip the chain and do row 1 as foundation sts, that is your first right side row.  then you will turn and work row 2 which becomes a wrong side row.  if you want, place a marker in the right side row(s) so you can keep track.  

in this pattern, I think the main place where the right/wrong sides matter will be on the dimensional stitches.  

Hi Kathy,

Thanks so much for your reply. I am a bit confused, as according to the pattern, I am on the Right Side when my starting tail of my beginning chain is on the left side of my work, however when I do my foundationless single crochet row, I end up on the other side...then that presents further complications later in row 3, when it asks to "join to top of beg ch 2, ch 2, sc in next st and in ea st across to end", but my ch 2 is on the Other side...very confused...

Archived