The Power of Prayer Shawls

Something happened last night that I really must share!  To put everything into perspective, I belong to a Prayer Shawl Ministry of a local Hospice, and have crocheted many prayer shawls in the last year and a half.  When my brother called me to tell me that our aunt, who was only 8 days from her 101st birthday, was on her deathbed, I wondered if I should take one of my shawls.  Then he told me that Hospice had already been to see her, so I knew they'd already brought a shawl.  When I walked into her room, there, on the bed, across her arms, was one of the shawls that I had crocheted!  She had faded to the point that she was no longer responding to anything, so I couldn't tell her that I had crocheted the shawl.  This morning, when I went to our weekly Prayer Shawl meeting, the lady who had delivered the shawl told me that she had gone to the closet, and picked out three pretty shawls, then prayed that she would pick the perfect one for the lady who was dying.  (She had no way of knowing who had made which shawl, or that the lady was my auntl!)  She chose the one I had done!  Everyone was in tears as she told that!

My aunt passed peacefully around 7:30 yesterday evening, with a long sigh.  

Lots of hugs and prayers for you and your family.  I was in tears reading the story and thought how perfect was that.  God Bless her to have lived so long and seen so much.

All my :hug to you and your family,

Collette- I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your touching story with even more proof that the power of prayer works on us all. Blessings.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your aunt. I believe there was an angel was watching over so that she would select your shawl.

What a beautiful story and thank you for sharing. Now I need a tissue since I am teary-eyed.

Roe

Thank you for sharing your story with us.  What a beautiful and reassuring story of the power of the Holy Spirit!  I'm sure the shawl was a great comfort to your Aunt and it had to bring you peace knowing that your shawl was the one that was chosen.  

Are there any coincidences? You were hugging your Aunt at the end of her time here. What a wonderful thought!

• 1 month later...

hi,

i have been mia for a while now, this is a wonderful story of how the lord works magic in our lives,even in the darkest of hours....my brother passed away in Feb 2014 in a hospice center. After his death the staff gave him a bath, gave him a clean set of clothes and placed over his body a beautiful hand made quilt. It was so nice to know he received such care even after he passed. we were allowed to visit him for as long as we wanted, he truely did look like he was sleeping peacefully. sorry for your loss but what a wonderful story to pass down to future generations.

Thank you for sharing your story.  It gave me chills.  So sorry for the loss of your aunt.  What a long life she was blessed with.  It makes me shake my head in wonderment just thinking about all of the things that happened during her lifetime.

• 3 weeks later...

What a heart touching story. When we send prayer shawls out we often don't know how they are received, we just trust the power of prayer. You were blessed to see this demonstration of that power.

Archived