Newbie! First Afghan, I think i did ok.

TaraB

Hello all I am new here and really just want to share with people that also crocheted. I have only started crocheting for about 2 months. This is the pattern i used for my fist project. I didnt want a lap throw but something bigger than that so added extra length to the strips and added 2 extra strips. I think out of 100 i would give it a solid 70 which i thought was pretty good for my first one ever. I am pretty happy with it in general. Be gentle.

Here is the pattern i used: http://www.allfreecrochet.com/Crochet-Afghan-Patterns/Beginner-Squares-Afghan-from-Lion-Brand/ml/1#Fyi95o3mxam579us.32

Here are pictures of my project:  (first two front, second 2 back)

pYGR3Gl.jpg
7cB3huU.jpg

JOY14kE.jpg

C5VtVBG.jpg

You did very well, I'm glad that you're project turned out this well, It is very encouraging for a newbie when such a large project turns out this nice. Congratulations, all your effort has paid off!

It came out great!

The only thing I would add would be at least a sc border around it.  It helps keep the panels from breaking apart with use.

Thank you all for the kind comments. I have started the same pattern again for my 6'2" boyfriend so I am making the panels wider and the individual color more rows high. My stitches now are all consistent which wasnt the case back at the beginnning. He picked two colors he really wanted from the homespun line which were pistachio and candyapple. So i filled in with barks and herb garden its actually turning out pretty well very masculine colors.

I think the border is a good idea.. not sure how to go about doing it but I am sure i can find the information. I've learned a lot and can see my improvement as I do it more.

Again thank you so much for the kind comments its very encouraging.

It's gorgeous!  And very ambitious of you to start your first project using Homespun yarn.  Some people find it very difficult to work with.  The colors are beautiful!  The single crochet border that RoseRed suggested is very simple.  Once you have your square done you just start in one of the corners and do a single crochet, chain 2, single crochet and then do single crochets to the next corner and work the sc, ch. 2, sc again and continue around.  That way when you put the squares together they hold together better and the entire blanket is more "square".  Hope this helps some!

Wonderful job!

Like Rose Red said, a sc border would be perfect. Maybe go up a hook size for the border too...see how it lays. When knitting (I'm a beginner) I find homespun to be very forgiving, and it's the same with crochet. Your colors are great, too.

Your first afghan is amazing! :yes  And your choice of colors is super! :)  And I'm so glad you joined the 'Ville! :yay  Happy crocheting! :D 

Ya'll (texas here) are amazing people and make me feel like a super hero. I honestly started this because in my "other life" I run some game servers and consult on backend development stuff (shopping carts, websites etc) this gives me something to calm myself and I love it. I used to cross stitch a lot but find it harder to set down and pick up where crochete you have a better ability to do it in short bursts.

I am a little confused about the border but I will be looking it up and learning for blanket #2 for the fella. I am looking for some ultramodern color block patterns to do .. not sure why those appeal to me most I already know the color scheme for blanket 3 but I will be changing up the yarn.

My friend told me i was nuts for using homespun for my first project but maybe since i didnt know any better it worked well. I know that my stitches were really really too tight. I read a lot about "relax it up some" and that made a huge difference. I can already see how much nicer this second one will be. I am looking forward to some other designs; i honestly wanted to make little animals but figured I'd like to learn to stich properly first :P

• 2 weeks later...

I think that TaraB needs clarification on the border - whether on each square OR the finished afghan, or both. I don't make square pieces so don't want to confuse the issue.

Tara, it is a gorgeous afghan and you are a brave soul to start out with Homespun!! I love how it looks but just have a difficult time with it. Be sure to show your Fella's. :-)

Wow! You did a great job. That's a pretty difficult one for your first. To match all those panels and all that sewing. My hat is off to you!

Archived