Hook taken away at courthouse

:manyheartI had this happen today as I went to court with my husband for family business.  I put my bag on the xray belt, and the guy at one end first saw my water bottle in the image and I had to show it to the female police officer.  Like a water bottle is terrible.  Then the guy noticed a crochet hook and yelled about Knitting Needles.  So I said it was a crochet hook and it was plastic.  My choice was to bring it back to the car, (about a 2 block walk) or I asked if I could throw it away.  They let me throw it away.  It was just a cheap hook, but it was the big deal they made of it. 

So we had arrived about 35 minutes early and I had nothing to do with my hands.  It made me sad, because I could have gotten a few rows done on a prayer shawl. 

Well, I have learned my lesson and won't bring any hooks or needles to the courthouse if I have to go again.  That sucks. 

Has anyone else had this difficulty?  Or was it just this courthouse that was overzealous with the rules?  I know I have brought them into the courthouse in my county and didn't have a problem.  I'm glad I only had the one hook with me. 

What's your opinion on this? 

I would of said hold it "I'll be back".  Sorry couldn't resist. :rofl 

First he insulted you by calling it a knitting needle, then said you could not have it in the court house.

Oh well, I guess it will be books, yet I did hear about some taking their hooks when they went for jury duty.

They have bins near the entrance to hold disallowed items at our courthouse so you can pick them back up on your way out. I have never taken anything not totally essential though. Keys, money, phone, and a big book to read while serving jury duty. (Ugh!) I didn't want to take any chances at having something on me that wasn't allowed. The people there are incredibly rude, I had a heck of a time even getting anybody to tell me where the restrooms were. They even gave me incorrect directions to the restroom. The first security guard at the door being the first one to do that to me, after she seemed irritated with me when my watch set off the metal detector as I walked through and i had to go back and take it off to send it through the xray machine. I mean.... it was my *watch*. I swear she was looking at me like she wanted to hurt me. Hate having to go there for anything.

I took a plastic hook a couple years ago when I had jury duty and they didn't say anything about it. Guess it just depends on your court house.

I might just put it in my bra next time.  I felt so horrible getting singled out like that.  Gosh, a water bottle and a crochet hook. 

Seems like if they took away a plastic crochet hook, they should also take away all pencils and pens, as well as any pencil-type make-up applicators people might have with them.  ;)

That's so stupid.

The last time I was in a courthouse was in January.  The guards there were still shaking their heads and couldn't get over the stupidity of taking away the little plastic gun that came with the stuffed action figure from Toy Story.  (I don't know his name offhand).  That whole thing even carried over to the security guards the last time I was on a plane.

Some of the things that they do - are ridiculous.  A lot of them don't like their jobs.  And some people are just miserable and they like to spread it around.

Archived