Do you think this normal?

Hi!

I wanted to see what everyone thinks about something that seems to happening to me. When I am crocheting after awhile I have a heck of a time holding on to the project that I am trying to work on. The hand that is holding on to the project is the exact same hand that feeds my yarn for my hook to grasp. It's almost like my hand has no gripping power. Now, granted I am going to be having a EMG done on my hands in the upcoming week to see if/how much carpel tunnel affects my hands & then the doctor will go from there. But for the mean time, how can I ease this problem? And advice would be very grateful!

Take breaks, wear tension gloves, wear braces at night.

If it is carpel tunnel - take care of it.  The longer you have it and the worse it gets the less they can fix it completely.  I had surgery in both hands and I'm very careful with them now.  When you abuse them (and them going numb is abusing them) you pay for it.

Yeah what RoseRed said.  I wear braces at night and I have bands for my wrist to wear when I am crocheting.

My hands will give out sometimes when reading or corcheting or cooking and such. 

I do have this problem and I also get pain so bad I can't move that hand.  It's the hand holding the yarn.  I do wear a craft glove on that hand while crocheting.  I would be interested  in hearing what type of bands you are using or what type braces at night.  I've looked but not sure what would work.  The pain is in my palm right below the thumb.  Sometimes just stretching my hand wide helps. 

I can't suggest the braces strongly enough.  If you can - I run out and get them today.  Most stores have at least a few different ones that you can try on before you buy.  Yeah, it takes a little getting used to to sleep in them but it's the best thing you can do for your hands.

I had an idiot doctor who did the EMG, told me I had carpel tunnel but didn't think it was bad enough for the surgery and made me wait a year.  The surgeon had quite a few choice words for that decision including telling me to get the 'heck away from that idiot'.  The point of my story is - if the results come back positive and the doc tells you to wait - please get a 2nd opinion.  I wish that I would've.  It would've saved me a year of pain and made the healing process much faster and smoother.

I don't have that problem specifically, but one thing I do is lay the work down in my lap when my hands get tired. Usually when I'm having a problem stitch that requires more fingers than usual. Sometimes I lay a hand flat on it so it doesn't run away while I work. If that hurts your back, get a bunch of pillows or something to prop it up close to your eyes so you don't have to hunch over to see it better.

Having crocheted for over 45 years now, I have to make all sorts of physical concessions to keep from "locking up" my fingers, hands, wrists and/or forearms.  Carpal tunnel issues certainly need to be addressed and I agree with the advice given to get it taken care of sooner rather than later.  

Some of my relief practices for crocheters hands are:  limit time crocheting at one stretch (my upper limit is 60 minutes and sometimes that's a bit too much even).  I use pillows to prop up my forearms and wrists so they don't get pulled down with their own weight or the weight of project.  I use compression gloves or wrist supports.  They really do help.   I no longer crochet every single day.  I give my hands a change of muscle usage through other crafts or endeavors (gardening, hand exercises, papercrafting, etc.).  I also no longer sit for hours on end happily playing with my yarns.  I move more now to keep the blood flowing.  And lastly, and this may apply only to my old body, is that I am careful about water retention or the adverse.  Whether my hands swell or if a bit of dehydration sets in, I find my hands/wrists are one of the first things to be affected with pain,or numbness.  

It is good that you are taking this problem to a physician and I hope you develop a plan to help you.

Thank you all for all of this wonderful advice. I am hoping to make some changes based upon some of ya'lls' suggestion. I really do love to crochet & it is bugging the heck out of me that I am not able to crochet as much as I want!

I was looking at braces today but I really don't have any idea about one to sleep in.  I didn't see any that say to use them when you are sleeping. 

MaryJo, what type of wrist band do you use?

• 2 months later...

i have this problem also, i wear braces at night but i also take vitamin b6, this of course should be checked with your doc. a friend suggested this as a natural healing friend of hers suggested it as opposed toother prescription drugs.. ot does help iny casr but please check with your doctor first......

Archived