graphghans

jpr54_

Hi everyone,

Just finished this a couple months ago.  Beer is just for size comparison.  Problem I had with this was as I was getting closer to the end the width kept on decreasing.  Is this due to the tightness of my stitch?  Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Smiley

post-71182-0-41382300-1394951278_thumb.jpg

post-71182-0-14617700-1394951320_thumb.jpg

I've made several....my blog has pics. I haven't used a program. If I can't find a premade pattern I revert to using old fashioned graph paper and a pencil.

Smiley - it looks like you made yours with single crochet?  The only reason it would have gotten smaller towards the end is if you skipped stitches or you tensed up and you were crocheting way tighter than you had been the entire afghan.

I missed that....and I agree with you. I made a pair of fingerless mitts and in the two weeks before I made the second one my tension had increased and it was tighter than the other. Still wearable, however...

Thanks Nancy and Judy for your input.  Ya, I was using single crochet.  I think I realized that I was getting tighter halfway through.  Tried to loosen up a bit but the stitches went bigger lengthwise of the blanket? 

Reason I went looser than I normally do in the beginning was because the first graph pattern I made in single crochet didn't come out as a 1 to 1 ratio.  As I was crocheting I guess I fell back into my original routine lol.

It's about 6-8 inches shorter at the top, do you guys know of anything that I could do so I don't have such a deformed blanket?  I was thinking about having someone putting a backing on it and stretch it so it's a little more square?

Sorry for all the questions but is there an simple way to deal with all the loose ends?  It's been sitting in my room for months because I don't want to deal with it (worst part of crocheting imo and the reason I got a bunch of unfinished projects).

One of the reasons a graphghan narrows is that there are fewer color changes going on typically near the top. 

If you've made it using acrylic, you can permanently change it with steam blocking.  Pin (or use blocking wires) the picture to the size you need.  I use my own bed for something this large or a piece of the carpeted floor.

Get a piece of white cloth and soak in cold water.  Wring it out.  Place on picture.  With a hot (linen hot) iron, place the iron on top of the cold press cloth.  When dry, pick up the iron and move it to another spot.  I usually count to 10. 

The acrylic will be killed permanently into the new shape.

As for the ends, you can put a backing to cover the ends or weave them in. 

Loose ends need to be woven in...at least in two directions. If it's a slippery yarn, like Caron SS leave a longer end and weave it in more directions. I also lightly pull the end, cut it close to the work, and it should snap back into the body of the work.

have you made any using tunisian?

do you use graph program?

Sorry to late answering this question.

I use a graph and sc only.  I just can't seem to get my mind wrapped around tunisian.

As for lose ends, I have none, as I crochet over the dropped color at the most 6 stitches and the least is 3.

do u use pc stitch/or similar program for your graphs?

or do you get them made for you free on graphghans r us on facebook or pay for them?

do u use pc stitch/or similar program for your graphs?

or do you get them made for you free on graphghans r us on facebook or pay for them?

I have the program PC Stitch on my main computer.  There use to be a web site that had any graph you wanted, or she would make it, but she closed down.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived