Crochet Dachshund Pattern Help

coco88

Question

Hi!

Im new to this forum so I hope this is in the right place!

I've been Crocheting for just over a year now and love love love it! However, I've met my match with this pattern :(

Its a set I was given as a gift and this is the pattern,

http://www.craftsinstitute.com/knitting/projects/kids/toys/dachshund-ted.aspx

Im a little stuck with the instructions, on the second row, I understand that I need to add a extra SC at each end however, im not sure where im starting this second row? Am I going in a round, so into the other side of the CH 5 I started on? Sorry! I'm dyslexic so struggle with patterns a lot! 

All advice much appreciated! 

Kiyoko x

10 answers to this question

Yes, you add an extra stitch in the first stitch and in the last stitch in row 2. All your odd rows will be dc evenly in each stitch. The head is worked as a flat piece in which you ch1, turn for each row until after row 27. You seam the top of row 1 to the bottom of row 27 and it will form a cone shape.

Now you work in the round along the top of your cone decreasing but you may want to stuff the cone somewhat before it shrinks too much. Eventually you will have a small hole and you will stuff the head more to your desire, and then you will close that hole up by whipstitching through the stitches.

It really is a cute pattern.:)

I wasn't realizing that the pattern looks to be written in English, so in American terms, the stitches would be sc.

Also - don't forget to do the odd rows as they are left out since they are all to be done with sc in each stitch across. If you forget to do them, the head won't form the cone.:)

Yes, you add an extra stitch in the first stitch and in the last stitch in row 2. All your odd rows will be dc evenly in each stitch. The head is worked as a flat piece in which you ch1, turn for each row until after row 27. You seam the top of row 1 to the bottom of row 27 and it will form a cone shape.

Now you work in the round along the top of your cone decreasing but you may want to stuff the cone somewhat before it shrinks too much. Eventually you will have a small hole and you will stuff the head more to your desire, and then you will close that hole up by whipstitching through the stitches.

It really is a cute pattern. :)

Thank you so much! I hadn't realised it was done as a flat piece, heres me trying to make it in rounds. That makes so much more sense! 

Its so cute, I hope it turns out ok! though im sure I will be back for more advice! x

Ok, its going well, but i've hit another snag... Same pattern but at the end of the head section it says " 4th round: dec sts between every 1st and 2nd sts through out. 21 sts" I understand i'm decreasing the number of stitches but its the bold part that confuses me. Does it mean I do SC then decrease then SC then decrease and so on...? 

x

I only see dec 2 together around which I think is what they mean too.  dec 1st and 2nd  tog, then keep decreasing the next 2 tog.

I only see dec 2 together around which I think is what they mean too.  dec 1st and 2nd  tog, then keep decreasing the next 2 tog.

Thank you! the pattern I have is the printed one that came in the set, it seems to be worded differently, but what you say makes sense! Thanks again! x

Yay! i finished the head! Hes going to be cute when finished.

Im now stuck on the body. It says Ch 11 +1 for turning, which I have done. But I was expecting the body to be far wider? The piece im making now is about 2 inches long maybe slightly more.. surely Im doing something wrong? Its the first piece after the head in the pattern and I just expected it to be wider that it seems to be. Any suggestions? 

x

I'm in a agreement with the commenter of the pattern on the website-the body directions aren't chrystal clear, and really should have a diagram.  And this woud be so much easier if it had been designed in the round, and I'm sure the piece would have looked better without so many seams.

If you read through the pattern, the body is made up of several little bits--there are 2 identical small 'front leg patches' made before row 10.  They are squarish shaped with a quadrant missing (because you start with 11 stitches, then add 8 after row 4) 

Row 10 connects the 2 pieces and starts to make a bigger piece.  Line up the 2 pieces you just made (I think) with the last row made at the top, and the empty quadrants at the bottom left and bottom right.

You chain 8, pick up the right piece that you lined up, skip the first  6 stitches and stitch across the remaining 13, pick up the second piece, and stitch across the rightmost 13 stitches of that piece, chain another 8 (+1).   So the first 2 pieces are connected at the top, you should have 42 stitches (8+13+13+8) not counting the turning chain.

Archived