Large Granny Square Blankets

Crochet Cricket

I recently finished two large granny square blankets. I really had fun making these now that I have mastered my granny square technique. 

The blue, white and yellow one is for my daughter. 

The teal and beige one was for me! So rare that I make something for myself. 

http://www.crochetcricket.com/large-granny-square-blanket/

:)

post-65200-0-67299800-1393165318_thumb.jpg

post-65200-0-68524700-1393165340_thumb.jpg

Thank you for all the kind comments! I have already started another blanket for my older son. Can't help myself :)

Good for you!  You've caught the "Crochet bug"!  

ooh so nice, am interested in how you kept them from "twisting" as you say, he he he, something you can share maybe??

I'm not Crochet Cricket, but I can answer that one!  Instead of working around on the same side, turn your work each time you finish a row!  It's just the nature of crochet stitches to lean to one side, and when you work the next row after turning your work, it just straightens everything up!! ;) 

I think granny square blankets are my favorite.  Great job on them, you did an awesome job.  I like the blue and yellow best as someone said earlier, it reminds me of summer.  I could use a little summer right now.

Wow! I am so happy you guys like my new projects :). Yes I turn after each row but I also keep in mind that the first round was my 'front' and I do not cut the tale so I can remember. I also do strips in multiples of 2 so I will always begin on the 'front' side. I have a couple more tricks as well. And after a few more blankets I am going to make a blog post on the way I like to do my granny squares. When I do I'll link it here to share with you guys. 

Thanks again!

Beautiful blankets! They are very appealing!

For anyone who wants to keep working on 1 side, you can control that twisting more by changing the starting / ending spot often. After each rnd or 2, tie off, and start the next rnd ahead or back by 1 corner or side edge, depending on where you've been starting.

For instance, I start in the corners, so afer a couple rnds, I cut and tie off. I move ahead to the next corner to begin the next color. After a rnd or 2, I connect, cut and tie off. With the next color (or even if it's the same color) I move ahead to the next corner and begin again. Continue throughout this way.

You can do this also if you begin along the side edge, rather than a corner. I would do an invisible join, cut and tie, then move to the next side edge to begin a new rnd.

This does help control the twist, but better yet really, is to turn rnds as it was said earlier.

thanks avon lady, Ive heard of that, but I really do prefer a defined right side, and wrong side, lol but I will give that a try sometime.. thanks though! 

I used to prefer doing them all with a "right" side, and a "wrong" side, but I noticed that my family (who are all non-crocheters) and my customers (who are, for the most part, also non-crocheters!) do not know which side is the right side, and which side is "wrong".  So I just started making them all turning each row!  that way, they look the same on each side!

Archived