Ever use light weight yarn with a big hook?

I've tried it just doing a chain, but don't like the feel of the lightweight yarn bumping over the hook neck. But it seems logical that such a combination could result in some pretty interesting lacy work with standard type stitches.

Whatcha think??

Jimbo

It does.  Laceweight yarn is often used with overlarge hooks or needles.  I think it looks nice when the yarn has some halo to it; doesn't look so hot with doily thread for example.  It is a little harder to keep the tension even.

Example, (although this is knit), it's laceweight yarn with a needle size equivalent to an H hook.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ice-queen

crochet examples

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/angora-lace-cowl

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/reina-scarf-wrap

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kakadu-crochet-shawl

Thanks GrannySquare!  I appreciate the links and input.  As you might suspect, I'm thinking of making a special hook that might ease the bumping problem.  The other thing I noticed while doing an experiment is that the lighter weight yarn likes to bunch up in the neck of the larger hook and throw off the loop size (tension?) so it's more of a problem keeping a consistent loop size.  So I'm thinking of a modified head/neck design that might help reduce or hopefully eliminate the problem.

I much prefer a neck shaft that is the same width throughout than a sloping one.

Yup.  I think tapering necks are part of the difference between "in line" and "boye" style hooks.  Now consider the depth of the throat, even if the neck isn't tapered on the sides, the throat has to be or there'd be no hook.  And in the typical hook designs we're all used to, the throat depth and bowl are proportional to the hook size, so if you have a big hook you have a deep throat and large bowl.  What I'm doing to allow a light weight thread and big hook combination is to carve a much shallower throat and bowl in the large diameter hook blank.  If I get a chance I'll make another one up (I've sent out a couple already) and post a picture.  They're kind of odd looking ducks but once you see the geometry, you'll see what I'm getting at.  It seems logical to me that it would work, but I put MUCH more stock in you guys' crocheting genius.    

• 3 weeks later...

I have a very old hook that looks like it was hand carved from a dowel. It was in a box of old wood/steel hooks from a thrift store ("buy all or none"). It's got a rounded point with a tilted V cut for the hook, no real neck or throat. The dowel is about size J or K, but the hook barley holds 1 strand RH yarn, would never work with bulky yarn, but would be great with finer yarns. I thought about carving the hook out better, but then it wouldn't be a "hand made antique" any more :lol .

Ellie 13

This sounds very interesting to me. On past projects I have struggled with maintaining a consistent tension with a hook larger than the laceweight yarn calls for. I look forward to seeing how your new hook turns out as I might make some laceweight shawls for this years Christmas gifts.

Yup.  I think tapering necks are part of the difference between "in line" and "boye" style hooks.  Now consider the depth of the throat, even if the neck isn't tapered on the sides, the throat has to be or there'd be no hook.  And in the typical hook designs we're all used to, the throat depth and bowl are proportional to the hook size, so if you have a big hook you have a deep throat and large bowl.  What I'm doing to allow a light weight thread and big hook combination is to carve a much shallower throat and bowl in the large diameter hook blank.  If I get a chance I'll make another one up (I've sent out a couple already) and post a picture.  They're kind of odd looking ducks but once you see the geometry, you'll see what I'm getting at.  It seems logical to me that it would work, but I put MUCH more stock in you guys' crocheting genius.    

You've sent some out and didn't ask if I wanted to try it?  I'm hurt.  :P

Archived