HiSissa

Trying to reverse engineer this skirt

Question

I need to replicate a crocheted skirt that I have. The skirt has sentimental value and is 29 years old, made by my great-aunt (she's no longer with us, so I can't ask her how she made it, and it's my understanding that she made it from the top of her head, no pattern). I would consider myself an intermediate crocheter, but i work strictly off patterns. If I don't have a row by row word pattern, I have no clue. I'm trying to reverse engineer it, but I think I need the help of a crocheting expert! I put a bunch of pictures here: http://www.alittlewebsite.com/hosting/crochetskirt.html , if anyone is able to decipher by just looking. Alternatively, I'm trying to figure out if there are people that do that sort of thing that I could bring it to (like a seamstress but for crochet) to help me come up with a pattern.

Edited by HiSissa

6 answers to this question

wow, she really put a lot of work into that, it is very fancy!  I think most of the stitch patterns are not  really too complicated at all, but it is hard to give you exact stitch counts by looking at photos. Also you will need to match the yarn used (it looks like rayon or nylon?) and her gauge if you want it to be the same size.  

I see you are in NY and I know there are chapters of the Crochet Guild of America in NY.  Perhaps you would be interested in meeting with a guild chapter to ask for someone to sit down with you and go over the skirt.  

if someone told you the basic principles of the stitch patterns used, will you be able to count the stitches yourself?  that to me is going to be the hardest part of the task.  Well, maybe that and figuring out what currently available yarn to use.  

I do think that, with some guidance, I could probably figure out the stitches.  If the skirt came out slightly smaller or slightly bigger, that would be okay since we have multiple little girls to make them for.

I forgot to update my profile.  I recently moved to Maryland.  I used to go to the Guild in NY (many years ago).  I'll have to search and see if there's a chapter here in MD.

From my rather untrained eye, I would say the edging at the top and bottom look like some kind of shell stitch. The top band is single crochet stitches. There is some kind of chain work in the gapped area. The area between the ribbons is some kind of fan, shell, or bobble. The large rows were double crochet stitches and 2-4 chain stitches for the gaps. Thus, my non-expert opinion.

Your great aunt was very talented. It's a beautiful skirt.

Edited by AsheSkyler

It's very pretty. I think the shells are (3dc, ch 2, 3 dc). The pretty spiral pattern comes from working (some number of dc, skip a stitch and chain 1) around, then on the next row working up to the ch-1 sp  dcing into it then ch-1 so it's offset by a stitch on each round.