Can I knit a scarf with this?

loopy1

Can I knit a scarf with this? If so, any ideas?

Fingering weight: 4 ply
Recommended needle size: US 2, 6.5 sts = 1 inch
It's 75% metallic, 25% rayon

I want to use larger needles...not size 2! And I mean LARGER needles. I realize this will "hang" heavy.

Thanks!

post-7514-0-83029400-1392515678_thumb.jpg

Sure you can knit a scarf with it. You can make a scarf out of darned near anything. Don't worry about that gauge. Swatch a little and see what you like. I don't know how a size 2 needle would work with that, seriously, and it doesn't look like the kind of yarn that would look good worked too tightly.

Becky is correct. Just like with crochet, truly you can use whatever yarn and needle combination you like for any project you like. Just do some gauge swatches with your intended needle size and the stitch you intend to use to see if you like how it looks, and make any necessary changes and swatch again till you're happy with the results. 

Thanks, Ladies. I wasn't clear in what I'm looking for and know any size needle can be used. But I'm not so sure this yarn is suited for a scarf since it is 75% metallic fingering yarn, the weight and drape considered. I knitted 15 sts on size 15 needles and after looking at it thought about knitting rows of other types of yarn with it. However, I don't seem to have colors that will work with this green (at least I think it's green...see my siggy--partially color blind  :think). I'll keep playing with it and post more pics to see what you think.  :ty 

Another question: How do you mix different yarns in the same garment? For example, knit a number of rows with this brocade and then add rows in a different type yarn; not necessarily fingering yarn but maybe sport yarn or even worsted. Can that be done? I've played around with it but I think I would have to change needle size. Thanks for any help!

I'm far from expert, but I think that if you use different weights of yarn and different sized needles you will end up with sections that vary in width and the thinner yarn and and smaller needle would pull the heavier sections together. This might look okay, you will have to try it and see if you like how it looks.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, Cindy. I don't like that "trying" part...gets too frustrating!  :thair  :lol

Wonder what else I could use this yarn for. I think I bought it on eBay years ago because It's just so pretty!

Archived