Mar 2014 CAL: Clarice Top by Kim Guzman CAL (official)

Amy

MarchCAL.png

For March, we'll be tackling the Clarice baby doll top designed by Kim Guzman. The pattern uses Omega 5 cotton thread and size G-6/4mm and H-8/5mm hooks.

The pattern comes in sizes Small through 3X to fit actual bust measurements of 32" to 52".

Click here to order your kit from Creative Yarn Source.

Kit Cost: Small, $21.75; Medium or Large, $24.90, 1X, $28.05, 2X or 3X, $31.20 (all plus shipping/handling)

Need Help? The very next post in this thread contains a list of tips and suggestions based on questions that have come up so far in the crochet-along. Chances are, if you have a question or problem, somebody else may have already experienced and we've provided the answer. If you don't see an answer to your question in that post, please post your question in the thread so we can help you.

Clarice.Bougainvillea.png

Clarice.jpg

Clarice.back.jpg

Omega5colors.jpg

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PATTERN TIPS AND EXPLANATIONS

1) Trust that the pattern is correct. Do things in exactly the order Kim states in the pattern instructions.

2) This pattern was written before a particular stitch had a standardized name. You may be more familiar with the "modified half double crochet" being called "foundation half double crochet." Kim has made a

3) Testing for fit as you go: Gravity will cause the bodice to grow vertically due to gravity and the weight of the garment. As you're testing for fit, you may want to let the garment hang overnight before trying it on.

4) Garment Ease: If you want to fit a chest measurement of up to 32", you make the size small. If you want to fit a chest measurement of up to 36", make the size medium. There is already built-in ease for these sizes when worn over a light top. If you want it to go over a heavy top, you may have to consider going up a size.

5) Counting the hdc rows: If you're not used to making ribbing by working in back loops only, you may not be able to count your rows as easily at first. Here are some tips to make it easier to keep up with:

a) Make tally marks on a sticky note or piece of paper as you complete each row.
b) Use a row counter. Get one at the craft store with your 40% off coupon!
c) Place a stitch marker in the first stitch of each row.

6) Trick for HDC at beginning of each row: Are you having trouble remembering to work in the ch-2 that counted as an hdc at the beginning of the previous row? Here's an easy trick for making an actual HDC there instead of the ch-2.

a) Instead of making a ch-2, pull up 1 ch to the height of your regular HDC stitch.

b) Insert hook into stitch, picking up 2 of the loops: this acts as the yarn over when making a regular HDC.

c) Insert hook into the first stitch.

d) Yarn over and pull through stitch.

e) Yarn over and pull through all loops on hook.

f) You've just made an actual HDC in the first stitch, so you won't have to remember to find and work into the ch-2.

7) Joining new thread

Kim: I usually complete one stitch with the new ball of yarn and leave the strands hanging there until the garment is finished. When working on garments, I never, ever weave in ends until it's finished because I may need to tweak some areas for a better fit. With most garments, I will try to do the yarn change at the beginning or ending of a row because I can hide the end in the seam. But, with an in-the-round garment, this isn't really possible.

Amy: I will work a stitch up to the last step. I drop the tail of the current yarn. I pick up the new yarn, leaving a 6" tail or so, and hold it tight against the last stitch, yarn over and complete the stitch. I leave my hook in the loop, then take the two tails and tie the first part of an overhand knot (like the first part of tying your shoes), snugging the ends up against each other and making sure my stitch hasn't been pulled too tight. Then I just keep working with the new yarn. Like Kim, I weave in all my ends at the end. I usually leave that overhand bit in place, adjusting if necessary to make the stitch look great, then weave the ends in opposite directions. I always change directions plenty of times as I'm weaving, to make sure that end is not going to come undone.

8) Kim's method of blocking something like this is:

1) Dip in cool water until completely saturated.

2) Squeeze out excess water.

3) Roll in dry towel to remove more excess water.

4) Place on flat surface, smooth it out from top to bottom, even stretching it a little to mimic the effects of gravity.

5) Straighten and shape.

6) Allow to dry completely.

I have a question.  It may be silly, but going to ask anyway.   The kits are geared to size. If we order a certain size kit, will we just get that size pattern or will the pattern come as most do with all sizes?

I have a question.  It may be silly, but going to ask anyway.   The kits are geared to size. If we order a certain size kit, will we just get that size pattern or will the pattern come as most do with all sizes?

The pattern will be in all the sizes.

Just got word from Mona that people have started ordering their kits today. I'm really looking forward to getting my thread, but first I have to figure out which color I want to order. Right now, I'm thinking bougainvillea, red, or green leaf. Choices, choices, choices!

I may have a silly question but I need to ask....I have never done the crochet alongs and was wondering how they work....Can someone please tell me as to how they work please??

Discussion will take place here. Members will discuss different things about the project, post questions about the pattern, perhaps post progress shots, discuss projects, etc. here.

I may have a silly question but I need to ask....I have never done the crochet alongs and was wondering how they work....Can someone please tell me as to how they work please??

Pauline you just purchase the kit and we all just work at our pace.  You can post your progress and any questions you may have here and Amy will try to help answer them.  It's just a way of all of us crocheting together without actually being together! 

Well, it looks like everyone else gave very good answers about how the crochet-along process works.

Some people may buy the kit and never stop by to visit with us at all, even to read the thread.

Others may read the thread every single day, but still choose not to post.

Some will post only when they have questions.

Everybody else may talk a lot throughout the month. :)

I still haven't been able to make my final color decision. I need to get cracking because I want to start and be just a tiny bit ahead of most people, so I don't look silly when someone asks a question and I don't know the answer.

Ordered my kit, and got notification that it is on it's way. Can't wait to get it, I got Camel. Got my pattern in the mail today and after reading it can see I might have some questions on it as I work it. Can we start when we get the kit, or do we have to wait until March 1?

When does this CAL start?  I think I missed the date.  Thank you

We'll "officially" start on March 1 and continue throughout the month of March. People can start their project whenever they receive their kit, though. If you want to get started early, there's no need to wait until March 1. Although I probably won't be providing much assistance until the CAL officially starts.

Archived