Baby hooded jacket

Jess Fauchelle

Question

I'm pretty new to crochet but have been able to do a couple of things but this will be the most advanced thing I've tried so far.

I've crocheted about 20 rows and I'm getting the feeling me work is going lop sided, one side is going left and the other right.

The pattern to me even sounds a bit weird, it's one from the art of crochet books.

The 4 rows that the pattern is made up of is

2nd patt row 3ch, 1tr in first ch sp (counts as first tr2tog), *1ch, tr2tog inserting hook in same sp as previous st for 1st leg and in next sp for 2nd leg, rep from * to last sp, 1ch,tr2tog over last sp ans last dc, turn.

3rd patt row 1ch, 1dc in first st, *1dc in next ch sp, 1ch, miss next tr2tog, rep from * ending with 1dc in last ch sp, 1dc in last st, turn.

4th patt row 3ch (counts as first tr), tr2tog inserting hook in dc at base of 3ch for 1st leg --which this is the part where I see the lean starting-- and into first ch sp for 2nd leg, *1ch, tr2tog inserting hook in same sp as previous st for 1st leg and in next sp for 2nd leg, rep from * working 2nd leg of last tr2tog in last st, 1tr in same st, turn.

5the patt row 1ch, 1dc in first st, *1ch, miss next tr2tog, 1dc in next sp, rep from * working last dc in 3rd of 3ch, turn.

The 2nd-5th patt rows form patt. Work them 3 times more.

What do others think? I can scan the pages if you want to look at the original pattern, it's all worked as one pce to armholes.

3 answers to this question

Don't scan the pattern, that's against the rules of the forum not to mention copyright laws.

This is a UK magazine, in UK terms.  Are you in the US?  Reading it in US terms would cause problems, but by the hour you posted this, I'm guessing you're not in the US unless you are a night owl!. 

Row 4, compared to row 2, adds 1 stitch at each end.  Does that make sense for what should be happening in the pattern?  Is there a diagram of the pattern pieces, so you can see measuremenst & how they're supposed to look?  It's possible, if the piece is supposed to be straight at the sides, not getting wider, that the pattern has an error.  Does the magazine website have an errata section (I didn't see one, but maybe you have to be a subscriber)?

What issue of the magazine was it in, and what is the pattern name - there might be some info in Ravelry if others have made this and posted comments.

Yeah I did think about the copyrite after I posted this!

I'm in NZ so have noticed some things can get confusing esp when trying to find out things on the internet. I though it was adding a stitch by the way it reads and the way I see the pattern forming is that both ends, end up being the button up at the front once edging is put on, so it just doesn't make sence. I undid the whole thing and getting frustrated by this time of night!

I'll have a look at the website again and see if it does have a errata section, I couldn't fine one before and no the patterns only ever just show a photo, wish they would have a decent diagram!

Thanks for your feedback

:)

Archived