Help with blanket. Rows are going in

KelB

Question

Hello all.

I am making a chevron blanket for my baby girl. I am 4 rows in and the rows seem to be losing stitches. I've had it happen before with much smaller projects and I just frog it and start over. I do not want to that with this if I can help it. LOL I'm confused on why it's happening though bc I've counted the stitches and best I can tell each row is right. It's 214 stitches though so I may have missed it. lol This is the pattern. http://stringwithstyle.blogspot.com/2013/06/chevron-love-chevron-afghan.html

Is there anyway to save this or am I destined to have to tear it out and start over?

4 answers to this question

If the stitch count is correct than it's mostly likely a tension issue (you worked more loosely in the beginning although it's usually the opposite of that).  If you've changed colors or brand of yarns it may be slightly thinner than the other.  Is it possible that you grabbed a hook one or two sizes smaller than what you started with?  That'll do it too.  (Guess how I figured that out lol)

Hi. It is a chevron, so the sides do look as if they are slanted. I think that you are just describing what the edges of a chevron pattern look like.

Wait and see how it looks after a few more rows. 

If you were doing it wrong, the chevron pattern would not be working.

When I made my first Chevron afghan, I was not counting correctly at the beginning and end of each row. The result was the same as what you are experiencing. Besides making the correct stitch count going up and down each "point", it's very important to skip stitches correctly as instructed. Maybe this could be part of the problem.

Before you frog-it, make a swatch of about 3 or 5 "points" and review what you've made. Maybe this will give you an insight to what is going wrong.

Agree with all of the above.  Chevrons are tricky for counting, you really have to pay attention to each hill and valley, or they can start to 'drift' (go crooked).  It's possible your total stitch count is right, but they're in the wrong place--example a stitch should be at the bottom of a valley, but is sitting on the side of a hill instead.

However, you are only 4 rows in...another thing with chevrons is that you might make a chain x feet long, but you will end up with a blanket MUCH narrower.  That's because your starting straight line is starting to form a WWWWW shape, so it has to draw up and get narrower looking.  Could that be it?

Archived