Beanie looks HUGE but fits fine, and help with circle diameter!

BrandiLynnx

Question

Okay, I am a newbie to this community as well as crochet itself. I just recently (3 months or so) started actually creating items. Here's my problem...

Whenever I make a beanie/hat I follow every instruction but my hats always end up looking HUGE but they still fit. I just want them to look normal. I have problems with increasing the "circle" and every chart that I have found about how big the circle should be before stopping increase always ends up looking too big (and sometimes the hat turns out 'boxy'). Does anyone have a correcting sizing method for the diameter circle for sizes newborn up to male adult? And any other tips for beanies would be amazing! Thanks!

post-70493-0-51061900-1390978785_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

Hi!

I too have had some trouble with them looking too big, and looking boxy.  But as long as they fit, there's really no problem!  I do kind of "twiddle" with the pattern some to keep them from looking boxy, though.  On the last increase row, I don't do as many increases as the pattern calls for, and that helps ease the sharp "edge".  I also use Red Heart Super Saver, except for children's hats.  Then I use Caron's Simply Soft, or a combination of soft baby yarns, etc.  The same--when making chemo hats.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I find any slight 'boxy' or bucket-hat look doesn't look that way on a person's head, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Here is a site that explains the math - you don't want to measure where you are showing the tape, but the initial flat circle where the increases are.  http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/round_hat.html

Here is a site that gives approx. head measurements for different ages. http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html  I don't agree with her about making the hat smaller than the head because I don't like them that tight, or getting 'hat head', but to each their own.

Archived