Hooks

There are SO many hooks out there!  I personally prefer Susan Bates aluminum hooks.  My suggestion would be to try one or two of the ones that really catch your eye.  Also, read some of the posts on here about the different hook brands and styles.

I'd agree, I'd buy one in a size you use frequently and see how they fit.  Each of us has a style that fits us better either in the handle or the tips.  I love the Bates Bamboo that has a wooden handle, but the metal tips.  These were the first ones I could use with crochet thread. 

I've sent off some of the other brands I've tried during wishlists because they just didn't work for me.

I use a knife hold and my favorite hooks are the bamboo handled Susan Bates hooks.  The head is a little different than on the regular Bates hooks.  After that are my special Jiimbo hooks.

If you use a pencil grip then the hooks with weight on the handles won't be very comfortable.

I like bamboo hooks for super slippery yarn but find them too grabby for regular ww.  I have a couple rosewood hooks that are wonderful but my hands do better with the thicker handle. 

I'll look up the Susan Bates hooks. Seems to be popular lol I like the Boye hooks but lately if I crochet a lot my palm starts to hurt/cramp so I'm wondering if a different hook would work better. I have to take a few days off before it stops hurting :(

I have two sets of clover regular size all letters. One with soft touch handles. The other the clover Amour hooks with padded/color coded handles. I have the large hook size k-n in clover reflections.

These are all  comfortable hooks which allow me to crochet for hours without taking a break.

I also use bamboo Susan Bates hooks and I have a pencil grip.  These are great for thread work.

I have also bought Clover Amour Hooks.  I have found with my grip they are very comfortable and they glide thru the yarn very nicely.  They are only for the larger hooks, not for thread.

I too use the Clover Amour and Susan Bates Bamboo. The Amour hooks are my #1 fave though. Not as much stress on arthritic hands as other brands and smooth foam grips.

I also use bamboo Susan Bates hooks and I have a pencil grip.  These are great for thread work.

I have also bought Clover Amour Hooks.  I have found with my grip they are very comfortable and they glide thru the yarn very nicely.  They are only for the larger hooks, not for thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the susan bates bamboo handles and love them.  I also have regular susan bates they are my fave!  But the ones I work with the most are a cheap set of bamboo hooks I got off ebay.  They don't hurt my hands as much as the metal ones, and I love the way they glide through yarn.  They are not any name brand, just said made in china.  Oh I cant for get my chopstitck hook from Jimbo, I also use it alot.  Like everyone says just try out different hooks, you'll find the right set for you.  Thats what I am doing with knitting needles, when I get a little extra money, I buy a pair of needles try them out till I find the brand I like.

I had never used anything but Boye brand up until last year (around this time actually I think) when I received a full set of Bates from a swap partner.. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bates & can not use Boye now!

• 2 weeks later...

The best hook I have found is The Comfort Gel Grip Crochet Hook by Gatorgrab (sold on Amazon). The reason I like this hook is because the gel handle is large (much larger than any others I have found) and it molds nicely to my hand. My hand used to get cramped up with the usually smaller handles and with this one it doesn't. I searched around a lot and this is the only kind like It tht I have found.

http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Grip-Crochet-Hook-size/dp/B00IP22G0M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1393686558&sr=8-4&keywords=gatorgrab

post-70954-0-21747300-1393688793_thumb.jpg

It's funny when I first started I used them interchangably.  I really never noticed a difference.  Then I slowly started having trouble with the points on the Boye and realized I owned more Bates than Boye.  Eventually I started having hand cramps and moved on to the Bates Bamboo and that's where I've stayed.

I do find I really need metal hook.  With the hand pain I like a round handle and I have another set I picked up somewhere that has a soft handles that aren't quite as big as the Bates that are Ok.  However, I just don't work well with plastic crochet heads.

I had never used anything but Boye brand up until last year (around this time actually I think) when I received a full set of Bates from a swap partner.. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bates & can not use Boye now!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of aluminum hooks that have a smooth coating on them. Silverlume (Sp. :think) I think they're called. Mine are 25 +/- years old, so I don't know if you can get them any more. I have lots of other brands but I haven't used any of them in years. I only have hand trouble when I :crocheting for 2 or more hours straight (had a deadline, worked 3 1/2 hrs +/-).

Ellie 13

Archived