Need suggestions for afghan for graduating senior

Adasha Knight

Question

Hello! My daughter is graduating from high school this year and starting college. I made her a blanket when she was 4 that she still uses to this day. I'd like to make her an afghan for graduation that she can carry with her on her adult adventure in life. Suggestions, please!!!!

About her: she's very into fashion, she's a 15 year gymnast and competitive cheerleader, model, is going to college for nursing, etc. I'm attaching a picture of her.

I'm thinking earth tones but can't decide on a pattern.

Help!!!

16 answers to this question

It's gorgeous! I made a huge motif afghan for my mom. The African flower pattern. It took a long time to make. But my Mom washes everything at least once a week. Including the afghan. It's 2 years old but looks 20 years old. She only gets quick and simple now.

If you can sew, another idea is a t-shirt quilt, but you crochet around the squares and join them.  Use some of her t shirts from high school, gymnastics, cheerleading. cut out the pic into a square.  Use a stiff 2 sided interfacing to stick a pic square and a solid square together.  Sew a blanket stitch around it and then crochet around the square.  When you get enough for a blanket, crochet all the squares together.. I hope I made sense, if not look up tshirt quilts  it should give you some ideas.  Just a suggestion though!

My neighbor lady is doing  the same thing right now for her Grand daughter.  She is making something close to the same pattern as she made when she was little because  there is a certain fringe or cluster shell that she likes to hold while she sleeps. (makes sense to me)  The colors and size(bigger) is all she is changing.  Just an idea........

I would also suggest school colors.  College colors, that is.  Show that school spirit, rah, rah!  You can always make her another afghan when she graduates from college and is off to a career.

As to what style, I would suggest something without a lot of sewn seams (like granny squares) because it will probably get moved around a lot - bed to desk, desk to floor, etc. - and that puts a lot of stress on the seams. 

One option is using the school colors of the college she'll be attending. Another option is to use her favorite colors.

Archived