Checking single crochet measurements

DanielaPagliaruli

Question

Hi everyone here! :D

I am starting a topic about a very important step in constructing garments.

Or everything else we have to work with our lovely crochet hooks.

So.. Let’s talk about checking the single stitches measures and HOW to obtain them.

Here you are the first picture:

post-69967-0-39713500-1390672788_thumb.jpg

Some rows of shallow single crochet stitches,

this is my favourite stitch.

It is really similar to stockinette stitch/knitting.

Let’s measure them:

post-69967-0-73163500-1390672802_thumb.jpg

How would you check the measures?

From A (the birth) to A’ (the ending) of ROW 2 not considering stitches under (ROW 1)/upon it (ROW 3)?

God bless us all. :waving

8 answers to this question

I'd make no less than a 5" swatch, measure the stitches within a 4" square inside the swatch, count the stitches (including best guess of fractional stitches) and do the math.  More accurate than trying to measure 1 stitch.

You can buy gauges for this, but it's easy to make your own 4" measure out of cardboard.

Here's one, sort of expensive http://www.amazon.com/addi-Stitch-Counting-Frame-Needle/dp/B00BQ2763K/ref=sr_1_7/190-5047908-1102159?ie=UTF8&qid=1390683584&sr=8-7&keywords=stitch+gauge

I've made mine L-shaped, it is a little easier to use - like the 2" gauge here http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Stitch-Gauge-Needle-Check/dp/B004QBDYHA/ref=sr_1_2/190-5047908-1102159?ie=UTF8&qid=1390683584&sr=8-2&keywords=stitch+gauge

I've found there are 4 sc to 1" using a J hook and worsted weight yarn. I estimate up or down from there if I'm not making a swatch.

I'd make no less than a 5" swatch, measure the stitches within a 4" square inside the swatch, count the stitches (including best guess of fractional stitches) and do the math.  More accurate than trying to measure 1 stitch.

Dear Granny Square,

thank you for your answer, and for the first link: I am going to buy one from the online UK Addi needle shop.

I consider now the second illustration: when do you check the gauge,

where the lowest stitch begins (point A), and where the highest one ends (point A') inside a e.g. 4" height?

I suppose that I could recognize a stitch fraction, only when I know where a stitch begins,

and where a stitch ends.

God bless us all today. :waving

I agree with the 'a' measurement for height, I'm not clear what your 'b' is measuring but I think I see where you are coming from...in knitting, I find it difficult to count the stitches across, it's sort of an optical illusion.  I start counting Vs and then suddenly I am seeing ^ not V and have to start over.  I think it doesn't matter for knit-looking stitches, as long as you are consistent.  Other crochet stitches are more obvious.

Dear Granny Square,

and obviously this thread could be helpful for everyone who knits or crochets,

when we knit or crochet,

we do not have this situation:

post-69967-0-61290500-1390850737_thumb.jpg

but we have this situation,

I call that an 'interlocking' mechanism:

post-69967-0-31562000-1390850799_thumb.jpg

I am taking all the time I need to realize this new point of view,

perharps because I did not see any discussion like this in crochet/knit books.

I mean.. It's easy to say..'measure gauge/tension',

but I have to take measure to something that is 'interlocking'. :think

Thank you again for your post,

may the Lord bless you. :hi

I agree with the 'a' measurement for height, I'm not clear what your 'b' is measuring but I think I see where you are coming from...in knitting, I find it difficult to count the stitches across, it's sort of an optical illusion.  I start counting Vs and then suddenly I am seeing ^ not V and have to start over.  I think it doesn't matter for knit-looking stitches, as long as you are consistent.  Other crochet stitches are more obvious.

Take all the time to look again at the illustration.

Good evening to everyone,

I am again giving a look at this topic and its contents, started over one year ago.

I think that the point of view that I was describing should be seen again as much as possible

within this community.

Just going over the obvious, new things could be seen together with new possibilities.

:tup

Archived