New to Tunisian, wanting to make a blanket

CaraleaT

Hello, I have decided to (finally) make myself a blanket and would love to do it using Tunisian crochet. I've got a few questions......I know I will need a big hook, but what size would be best? I'll be using bulky, or super bulky yarn. Also, about how many yards will I need to make a queen sized blanket? I want the blanket to be soft and cuddly, if I make the entire project using the Afghan stitch and really soft bulky yarn, how do you think it will turn out? I don't want a really complicated pattern, just really basic, I'll be making this to pass the time at work, so anything that I don't have to think too hard to do! Thanks for your help!

Caralea

In ref to the hook: I've never made anything in Tunisian stitch with bulky yarn, but, I would say to use the same size Tunisian hook as the crochet hook recommended on the yarn label.

Mmm, actually since Tunisian tends to be rather dense, although I haven't done a LOT of it I like a bigger hook than usual.  YMMV.

For yarn requirements, I usually try to find a pattern that is similar in pattern, yarn weight, and size and round up a little.  So many times a pattern will say x skeins, and I buy an extra 'just n case' and darned if I don't need a bit from the extra skein. 

Here is a search on free Tunisian stitch blankets. In this group there's only 1 that calls out bulky yarn (rainbow fuzz afghan), calls for a P hook, 1800 yards and is only 46"x60" [2760 sq in].  A queen blanket is 90"x90" [8100 sq in].  So going by that pattern you'd need about 5300 yards.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&view=captioned_thumbs&query=blanket%20%2B%20&availability=free&pa=tunisian&sort=best

As I said I haven't done much Tunisian, but you might want to play with entrelac.  I found that more fun somehow than making a bigger piece with a long Tunisian hook.  Plus you don't need a special hook, the rows are only a few stitches. 

Thanks Granny Square! I bought this yarn http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/homespuntq.html in the Tudor color. It's actually a super bulky and I am using a Q cable hook. I started the blanket last night, I started with a chain of 100 and it seems to be plenty wide enough! I'm having a little trouble getting a rhythm going with the return pass, I'm hoping it will just take me awhile to get used to using the cable hook, otherwise this blanket will take me forever to finish! Do you have any tips for that? I've tried searching YouTube, but haven't come across anything. I'm thinking of doing the whole blanket with the Afghan stitch, because that's the one I'm most comfortable with.

Homespun is such a textured yarn, and varigated, so keeping it to 1 simple stitch makes sense.

Not sure what to say about the rhythm, I'm sure as you said it will get better the more rows you do.  You are doing 2 rows to get 1, so yes it will be slower going.  Have fun!

• 1 month later...

How is your afghan coming along? Did you finally get comfortable with the cabled hook? I have about 6 different sizes but have not used them. The last Tunisian afghan I made was on the 14" hook. Took forever it seemed to complete.

Thanks Granny Square! I bought this yarn http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/homespuntq.html in the Tudor color. It's actually a super bulky and I am using a Q cable hook. I started the blanket last night, I started with a chain of 100 and it seems to be plenty wide enough! I'm having a little trouble getting a rhythm going with the return pass, I'm hoping it will just take me awhile to get used to using the cable hook, otherwise this blanket will take me forever to finish! Do you have any tips for that? I've tried searching YouTube, but haven't come across anything. I'm thinking of doing the whole blanket with the Afghan stitch, because that's the one I'm most comfortable with.

• 2 weeks later...

I unfortunately gave up on making myself a blanket with Tunisian, I got frustrated! I'm making a baby blanket with the cabled hook, it's going okay, it's going to look really nice when it's done. I'm finding it a lot easier to do with a smaller project, but still can't really get a good rhythm going on the return pass. 

I'm sorry the blanket did not work out for you. Maybe in the future you will have the desire to make one. Tunisian crochet does require a lot of patience. When I work the return passes, sometimes I find myself counting out loud 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, while pulling the yarn through . Drives the Hubster insane. LOL

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived