Where does everyone get there yarn from?

Snookums14

I buy my yarn from Wal-Mart sometimes. I have also purchased yarn from Herrschner's and I have purchased some mill ends and also I purchase yarn from the classified forum of a knitting forum I'm a member of. I

I get mine mostly from a local yarn shop, but also occasionally shop at Jo Ann Fabrics or Wal Mart. I also shop for yarn online, usually directly from the manufacturer if they have an online shop or from a site like Jimmy Beans, Knit Picks, Seaport Yarn etc. Etsy is a great place to shop (online) for yarn as well. 

I HATE that I can't order from Michael's, but I just really like their impeccable yarn so I keep going back (sometimes to more than one store) to get the colors I want/need. 

• 1 month later...

I do a lot about 98% of my crochet and knitting for charity and much of the yarn is donated by church

groups and others. These are single skeins or less.

If I am doing a contract piece for someone, they purchase the yarn.

A gift for a family member or friend I usually order my yarn from www.knitpicks.com

I love working with their acrylic yarn. It comes it beautiful colors and is long wearing, washes

well. Its offered in 3 different weights. I have never been disappointed in their yarns. They

offer excellent customer service.

• 2 years later...

For my amigurumis I usually buy the cheap read heart, which can be found almost anywhere. I usually buy it at Walmarts. For things I am going to wear, I get most of it at knitpicks.com. I use their merino/merino blends for most of my cowls and scarves.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I love the feel of Patons Classic Wool DK Super Wash and created numerous presents for Christmas using it. After the holidays I started receiving notice from my gift recipients that the yarn, which I purchased for the texture and the fact it could be washed, lost all structure when it was washed. I myself washed a hat in cold water by hand and it gave off the worst smell (like something burning) that only dissipated when completely dry. This hat (a child’s ski cap) lost all structure and the edge could no longer hold a folded up brim, as well as the size being much too large after the wash.

I contacted Yarnspirations about their yarn and was told it was because I used a pattern that was not suitable for the yarn. How does the pattern affect the smell it gives off when washed or the fact that the project becomes larger and has no structure?

They offered me a $20 coupon to buy more yarn from them (I spent from $70 - $120 on this yarn). I still have 8 skeins I am afraid to use. I had to inform all my gift recipients to NEVER wash the items I gave them (embarrassing!).

I will not be purchasing any more Patons Classic Wool DK Super Wash.

Do you have a favorite Super Wash yarn you use that is trustworthy?

One thing is for sure, do not buy your yarn from Amazon. Because you will pay a lot more than you should. 

Same thing is with wired ribbons for wreath making. O Boy! those people on Amazon can really jack-up their prices!. Even double or triple and sometimes even more than that if it is a "shortage" on some seasonal ribbons in a craft stores.

Krys

2 hours ago, KarenLeeS said:

I love the feel of Patons Classic Wool DK Super Wash and created numerous presents for Christmas using it. After the holidays I started receiving notice from my gift recipients that the yarn, which I purchased for the texture and the fact it could be washed, lost all structure when it was washed. I myself washed a hat in cold water by hand and it gave off the worst smell (like something burning) that only dissipated when completely dry. This hat (a child’s ski cap) lost all structure and the edge could no longer hold a folded up brim, as well as the size being much too large after the wash.

I contacted Yarnspirations about their yarn and was told it was because I used a pattern that was not suitable for the yarn. How does the pattern affect the smell it gives off when washed or the fact that the project becomes larger and has no structure?

They offered me a $20 coupon to buy more yarn from them (I spent from $70 - $120 on this yarn). I still have 8 skeins I am afraid to use. I had to inform all my gift recipients to NEVER wash the items I gave them (embarrassing!).

I will not be purchasing any more Patons Classic Wool DK Super Wash.

Do you have a favorite Super Wash yarn you use that is trustworthy?

How did you and recipients launder it?  Some superwash needs to be machine dried.  I don't know what the label says but the site is confusing; scroll down to questions and it says the site info is wrong, it should say to machine wash and dry.  

What patterns did you use for it?  

On 1/19/2014 at 2:15 PM, Snookums14 said:

im in the UK and i have been getting mine from The Works but i have all there yarn thay stock now and im struggling where to get it from at a cheap price.

Can anyone help? 🙂

Thanks in advance

I know this is several years old I have heard a lot of people mention wool warehouse.co.uk

in the USA Joann; knitpicks; herrschners; HobbyLobby; WEBS; Smileys; and Walmart those are my usual sources.