Best nickel plated hooks

Hi everyone! :D

I am searching for a nickel coated crochet hook,

it could be with an ergonomic handle or not.

That's the same.

I am speaking about those crochet hooks used for working thread cotton.

As for bigger sized crochet hooks, we could find Knit Pro vs. Furls crochet hooks:

I am speaking about the difference between hand-made/carved/manifactured 'luxury' crochet hooks, and industrial-made hooks.

Well.. I am searching for hand-made/manifactured 'luxury' small-size crochet hook, for example a 1.00 mm size.

I don't know how to find them.. :no

Could anyone here help me? :think

Thank you for any suggestion/information I will receive.

God bless you all::.. :U

I understand that you are looking for the tiny hooks, used for thread.

What I don't understand is that you want nickel coated, luxury hooks. Nickel coating is very cheap, and is used over solid nickel or often over brass. It's not used on great quality products.

The best small hooks I've ever come across are steel.

Perhaps some people here who work a lot with thread can help you more than I can.

Dear Real Deal,

thank you for the useful informations you shared with your post.

I did not know about most of the things you talked about! :no

For example, today Prym's steel crochet hooks are not the same of those manifactured some years ago.

I saw clearly the difference,

and I do not want to buy steel crochet hooks that are badly manifactured,

only because nickel coating is cheap.

:ty  so much for your help.

For good quality small hooks, i would choose Tulip Etimo or Addi brand. Some do have a gold color point but i do not think it is actual gold. You can see the range of Tulip hooks on the online store of Heirloom Crochet.

For good quality small hooks, i would choose Tulip Etimo or Addi brand. Some do have a gold color point but i do not think it is actual gold. You can see the range of Tulip hooks on the online store of Heirloom Crochet.

Thank you for your help. :)

I tried both Tulip Etimo and Addi steel crochet hooks: I do not like them,

really, I avoid this two brands. :no

I still can find some classic Tulip crochet hooks, that for me are the best, but without a wood/bamboo handle,

my hand begins to sweat, and this stops my crocheting.

I ordered a Susan Bates Steelite with the bamboo handle, and I hope it will be fine for me. :yes

Good luck with the Bates hook. I have found the new Bates (and Boye) small hooks do not run true to size.

I am curious what you don't like about the Addi or Etimo?

Dear magiccrochetfan,

I tried all types of Addi crochet hooks, and I noticed that the quality is not good. :no

..Not good as the brand says.

I tried them for 3 years and after some use the crochet hooks started changing their appearance,

the yarn/thread did not glide on the surface of the hook as when this one was took out from the box. :think

As for any other crochet hook brands that has been heavily advertised, I can see how poor is the quality of the materials.

The same thing is for Tulip Etimo hooks.

I do not want to pay for their advertisement. :irk

Thank you for your advice about Susan Bates and Boye steel crochet hooks. :ty

it is interesting to hear your report on the hooks.  It sounds like you have used them a lot. Do you think that the plating was worn off by friction from the thread?  I suppose with enough friction, any kind of plating could be worn off.  Would hooks that are solid metal with no plating be better?  This place makes hooks from silver or gold http://www.celticswan.com/crochet.htm  It looks like a B is the smallest they routinely make, but maybe they could make smaller ones.  

I really haven't been using my smallest hooks too much in the last few years, they are just sitting in a box most of the time, so they haven't been subjected to much wear and tear.  I just got my Etimos in the past year so they are still pretty new.  I will hope I have better luck with them.  

I do beleive that the Addi and Etimo are more true to size than the current Boye and Bates, and so far the finish on mine looks great but again haven't used the steels much.

The "vintage" Made in USA Boye and Bates from the 1960s-70s were great, good quality finish and true to size.  Mine have been used quite a bit and the finsih is still intact.  

The "vintage" Made in USA Boye and Bates from the 1960s-70s were great, good quality finish and true to size.  Mine have been used quite a bit and the finsih is still intact.  

You write that..'the finish is still intact/true to size/good quality finish'. :yes

I had the possibility to see vintage/old Boye crochet hooks,

and I have to say that 'modern' Boye are not the same.

I know that things change.

The same thing is for Addi, and Etimo. I have used both Etimo Gold, quite good,

but let me say that Etimo steel are not good. Really.

I want to pay $10,00 for a crochet hook that really worth $10,00.

I don't want to pay $20,00 for a $1,00 of material value + $19,00 of advertisement.

:ty  again for your informations about Susan Bates.

This morning, after been writing my reply to your post, I ordered a classic Tulip steel crochet hooks set.

They are not golden.

God bless you. :D

My old Susan Bates hooks are better quality too, when they were made in the USA. I use them even now, but I don't let anyone else touch them!

You could start looking in second hand shops for older hooks, and once the weather permits, yard sales and rummage sales might have some.

Household auctions might be a place to look also, because they often sell boxes full of knitting, crochet, tatting and other projects and supplies for a dollar or 2 just to get rid of them. They don't want to take the time to sort craft type items, so they're just dumped in boxes.

My old Susan Bates hooks are better quality too, when they were made in the USA. I use them even now, but I don't let anyone else touch them!

You could start looking in second hand shops for older hooks, and once the weather permits, yard sales and rummage sales might have some.

Household auctions might be a place to look also, because they often sell boxes full of knitting, crochet, tatting and other projects and supplies for a dollar or 2 just to get rid of them. They don't want to take the time to sort craft type items, so they're just dumped in boxes.

Dear Real Deal,

thank you for your answer and for your help.

I see that there are many auction sales on eBay concerning old/vintage Susan Bates hooks,

and whole boxes of old crochet hooks, when they were made in the U.S.A.

God bless you. :waving

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with the Bates hook.

I received the Susan Bates Bamboo handle crochet hooks.

Here what I think about them: :irk

Before taking them off their boxes, I noticed that were/are damaged.

Total waist of money.

At this moment, I am working crochet with the classic Tulip steel hook.

The simplest one I ever had.

I cannot post any photo, because I do not have a good camera with me.

God bless you. :waving

• 3 weeks later...

I use most any hook that gets the job done. Some hooks are definitely better than others with obtaining a specific gauge. I have been given an incomplete set of Lee Ward's hooks that are vintage and they seem to be very good quality. I use them a lot. They were manufactured in Germany. My newer Boye/ Bates steel hooks don't seem to be of bad quality. Using hooks with only thread shouldn't take the coating off. I have never had that happen to me. The only time my hooks lose their coating is if I use them to crochet with wire. I keep those hooks separate.

• 4 months later...

Best nickel plated hooks...?

I found them, and here you are my new Hamanaka Rakuraku crochet hooks set.

I really love love love them.

I am writing/posting from a tablet, and still can not find how to insert the emoticons,

so that I could describe better how do I feel working with them.

Just by surfing on the web, you will find other enthusiastic reviews, they are far better than Etimo crochet hooks.

I bought them from an excellent eBay seller, that ships/sends goods from Hong Kong.

They have a great customer care.

Here you are the eBay online store link: http://stores.ebay.it/addineedlesarpatyarnstore/

God bless you all! ^__^

post-69967-0-09453700-1403623334_thumb.jpg

That's a shame you got damaged Bates Bamboo steel hooks.  I've bought mine mostly in stores and never had an issue.  They've been the only ones I can use as the small handles combined with the small hook size was hard to use in the traditional ones I bought previously.  The larger Bamboo handles made crocheting with thread a real possiblity.  I hope your new brand works out well for you.

Best nickel plated hooks...?

I found them, and here you are my new Hamanaka Rakuraku crochet hooks set.

I really love love love them.

I am writing/posting from a tablet, and still can not find how to insert the emoticons,

so that I could describe better how do I feel working with them.

Just by surfing on the web, you will find other enthusiastic reviews, they are far better than Etimo crochet hooks.

I bought them from an excellent eBay seller, that ships/sends goods from Hong Kong.

They have a great customer care.

Here you are the eBay online store link: http://stores.ebay.it/addineedlesarpatyarnstore/

God bless you all! ^__^

So glad you're happy with your new hooks!  Perseverance pays off, doesn't it!!  :yes 

I have several thread hooks made by boye. is this something you would like? they were given to me. they where a friend of my moms. she is gone now and I don't use them anymore. if you would like them please email me.  debi

That's a shame you got damaged Bates Bamboo steel hooks. I've bought mine mostly in stores and never had an issue. They've been the only ones I can use as the small handles combined with the small hook size was hard to use in the traditional ones I bought previously. The larger Bamboo handles made crocheting with thread a real possiblity. I hope your new brand works out well for you.

Dear Bailey4,

I can say that these Hamanaka Raku Raku are what I searched for years,

so perfect for my hands.

I have several thread hooks made by boye. is this something you would like? they were given to me. they where a friend of my moms. she is gone now and I don't use them anymore. if you would like them please email me.  debi

Dear nana,

I love my Hamanaka Raku Raku, and I don't need anything else for my works.

But thank you for your interest.

Daniela::..

Archived