Sign in to follow this  
~Kel~

afghan buckling in center

Question

I'm using this pattern http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW3907.pdf right now to make a ghan and as I go the center is buckling up, it was fine the first round or two, then it buckled a little  but I was able to stretch it and get it flat again.  It seems to be the changing direction of the stitches from the triangles pulling against each other, stretching and stretching relieves it for a while then it buckles up again.  I hate to frog it all and start again though I will if I have to (UGH UGH UGH).  What I'm wondering is if I wash it will that loosen the stitches enough to lay flat do you think?  I have washed other stiff ghans on a high agitation cycle and it softened then and seemed to loosen stitches.  If I do that though should I use cold, warm, or hot water?  Agitate highly or gentle? is there anything I can add to the water? I'm on the sixth round of triangles and really don't want to start over so any suggestions would be appreciated, even if they are to tell me to frog it lol.  I'll add a picture of it from before I started the black edging and round 6, you can see how the lines are a bit wonky from stretching but it is laying flat and yes the black edging is not part of the original pattern, I added it to try and make it look most like stained glass, I'm kind of on a kick lately :)

post-13682-0-26381700-1389500336_thumb.jpg

Edited by ~Kel~

7 answers to this question

It looks to me like you're crocheting too tightly and that's what is giving you the problem.

If you don't want to rip it out, what I would do is LIGHTLY press it with a steam iron - killing the acrylic - then it will lay flat forever.  JUST DON"T PRESS HARD - USE A VERY LIGHT HAND!!!!!!!

When I first started crocheting I had to do that with a ripple afghan that would just go into folds - once it was steamed lightly, it laid flat even after washing and drying.

Good luck!

It looks like you're using a hook that's one size too big.  That's one of the reasons why it sucks in in the middle.

You could fudge it.  If it's dc then once it starts to suck in - you could use a trc in those sections just to straighten it out.  Crochet is very forgiving that way.

I'm noticing that your triangles are curved.  I think it may be an issue with the height of your stitches. 

See Doris Chan's musings about this subject - http://dorischancrochet.com/2009/01/05/confessions-of-a-lifter/  I'm a 'yanker', her designs are lovely but I found I couldn't make one of her top-down sweater designs (as written) because it really made a difference (armhole came out too small).

I think this is SC, right?  You might try extended SC, either entirely or maybe every other row-you might have to experiment to get it right.  The peak of the triangle needs to be 90 degrees, and yours look greater than that--especially the outer ones--the more rows the stitch height makes a more pronounced difference.

Thanks for the replies ladies. I did use the hook called for by the pattern and the yarn but my stitches tend to be a bit bigger/looser so I probably did need to use a smaller hook.

Right now I think I'm going to finish it, wash it and see. If it still buckles I'll frog back to the center squares and try again. I'm wondering if its the added rounds of black that are causing part of the issue, though I know the last time I tried a project w/ sc in different directions it pulled badly. Maybe my sc are tighter than when I dc. Hmmm well at least I now have your suggestions to consider

Changed my mind after pulling it back put to work, much as I hate to do it, I'm frogging back to at least the second round of triangles and maybe all the way back the center squares. I'll be keeping in mind hook size and tightness of stitches, maybe doing the black outline a bit different, thanks again for the suggestions ladies

I just thought of another thing to check.  The center squares are 20 across, 20 rows - make sure they are perfectly square.  Mine wouldn't be. 

Here is the link to the yarn, clicked right from your pattern - notice the gauge is not the same for rows and stitches. 14sc x 16r = 4in

http://www.shopredheart.com/default.aspx?PageID=62&CategoryID=115&ProductID=5086&RootCatCode=01000%0D

And yet, the pattern gauge is the same # of stitches for both. 

Note, the ratio won't change if you just change hooks, it's not a matter of loose or tight but the proportion of the stitch--tall or squatty.

Because of the geometry, this pattern won't work unless each stitch is perfectly square.  If you haven't already frogged, you can get a more accurate idea of this by measuring your stitches on the bigger sections rather than the center squares.

I have frogged but I think not counting my stitches to keep each side even is part of the problem, my center squares and first round of triangles are ok it was after that I was off. I've redone the black border I added after that round counting stitches to make sure all four sides are even and so I know how many stitches each triangle should have as their base. I will measure the center squares before I go any further just to be sure though. Thank you!