Looking for help with free charted pattern

hhensler

I have been all over the internet trying to find this and the only thing they say is O is yarn over, which we all know. 

Now as for  "O - 1 yarn over, purl 1 in the next wrong side row"  makes no sense.  If you read it right, you should be making a purl in the next row not a knit as the chart shows.

I have been knitting for a long time,since I was about 8 , and I will admit there is still a lot to learn, so I am curious to see what answer you get.

I read it as yarn over then purl in the yarn over stitch in the next row.

I count 14  + 8 which gives you 22.  Are you adding an extra stitch at the end making it 23 instead of 22 stitches?

The only way I can keep the stitch count, is to add an extra yo in each row.  Otherwise I keep coming up short.

Hopefully someone who is familiar with this pattern will help.  You now have me facinated with this pattern.

I think the 14 + 9 multiple seems right for casting on, but can't be 100% sure of it. I have tried this a few times but keep coming up short a stitch each row, even when I fudge a fix at the end of a row in some way to make it work out for that row, the next is inevitably short by one again. 

The sole problem I have with charts is that sometimes they are not accompanied by some written instruction as to the cast on multiple, if there is an edge stitch on each side that is not shown on the chart etc. I don't need full out written instructions to follow charts but I do think basics like that need to be included to avoid such confusion as this chart has led to. I will keep trying and will recruit my sister as well if she is willing (she tends to be a genius with knitting). Hopefully we can get it sorted out - it's a lovely stitch pattern for sure!

Do you have any stitch dictionaries to look for a similar stitch, or maybe the exact same one?  They might have it written out or have a different chart.  I have found that lots of stitches are in multiple books.  

There is also the Walker project which has photos of st patts from B Walker's books.  it does not give the directions but if you find a photo there you would know what book to look it up in. 

I have not had luck yet either. I can easily identify what is wrong with the chart but figuring out how to correct it has been difficult. I am inclined to think the chart has errors in it. There is definitly something missing somewhere.

Do you have any stitch dictionaries to look for a similar stitch, or maybe the exact same one?  They might have it written out or have a different chart.  I have found that lots of stitches are in multiple books.  

There is also the Walker project which has photos of st patts from B Walker's books.  it does not give the directions but if you find a photo there you would know what book to look it up in. 

I haven't seen this stitch anywhere else, but I am continuing to look... There have to be some written instructions out there somewhere.

Recieved the reply below when I asked for help with this pattern on knittinghelp.com...I'm going to try again following this advice, oh I hope this works!

Are you repeating only the 14sts highlighted in pink? That'll balance out the stitch count so that you aren't losing sts. If you add in the sts on the left (8 blocks, not highlighted) you'll decrease one stitch every row until row 13.

Lovely pattern!

When I was trying it out I knew to only repeat the colored portion for it. The problem still existed for me in my attempts. There is an increase missing, it seems, and I have yet to work out where it ought to be. The repeated portion of the pattern has one decrease and one increase. It is the additional decrease at the end of the row(s) that consistently throws the stitch count. At least that has been my experience with this pattern. Either that last decrease does not belong, or another increase is necessary.

Ok, I never thought to only do the 14 stitches.  Either my eyes are going or my computer color stinks, cause I could not see the pink.

Now, why does a dishcloth or facecloth have to be square?

It looks nice.  Infact, I think it is pretty.

Thanks for the info on the pattern.

Kudos for figurig out to only follow the highlighted part of the chart! 

As for the leaning - how did you work the even number rows (2,4,6 etc)? If you look closely at the chart, you will notice it only shows the odd rows. Purl straight across all the even numbered rows and it should turn out right, and be straight along the bottom. Mostly straight anyway - there is a bit of uneven-ness to it from the shape of the stitches but it should not slant. I just worked up a small swatch, though my computer is giving me internet connection issues so I can't upload a picture at the moment. 

Hoping my computer will cooperate long enough to get this posted. This is what I have after doing 2 full repeats of the pattern, working only what is in pink on the chart; odd rows following the chart and even rows purling across. The edges are uneven, but it really doesn't slant - it's pretty straight, simply uneven. I wonder if it might benefit from adding a few stitches to either side and add a little bit of a garter stitch edging to the sides. There are some stitch patterns that if worked alone the edges curl inward or are just kind of messy but if you add a few edge stitches it can neaten them up/help them lie flat. Many knit stitches also benefit from blocking, and I think this is one that blocking the finished piece would help tremendously; even without adding any edge stitches or a border, I think it would block into an even square pretty nicely. 

post-45165-0-17664000-1389659861_thumb.jpg

Kudos for figurig out to only follow the highlighted part of the chart! 

As for the leaning - how did you work the even number rows (2,4,6 etc)? If you look closely at the chart, you will notice it only shows the odd rows. Purl straight across all the even numbered rows and it should turn out right, and be straight along the bottom. Mostly straight anyway - there is a bit of uneven-ness to it from the shape of the stitches but it should not slant. I just worked up a small swatch, though my computer is giving me internet connection issues so I can't upload a picture at the moment. 

Thank you so much for your continued help! 

The way I worked the even number rows was this: if it was a knit on the odd row, I purled it on the even row...if it was a purl on the odd row, I knit it on the even row. I really wasn't sure what to do...

Another question...I found that once in a while you end up with a yarn over at the end of the row. Is there a special way to work that? I just y/o and turned but it felt weird and awkward to work

Thank you so much for your continued help! 

The way I worked the even number rows was this: if it was a knit on the odd row, I purled it on the even row...if it was a purl on the odd row, I knit it on the even row. I really wasn't sure what to do...

Another question...I found that once in a while you end up with a yarn over at the end of the row. Is there a special way to work that? I just y/o and turned but it felt weird and awkward to work

Happy to be able to help! There really should be written instruction with the chart as to what to do on the even rows - otherwise it is guesswork. It took me a couple tries to figure out that just purling across seems to have the best results. In my opinion anyway. If something else looks better to you, then do that. That's what I love about knitting (and crocheting!) - even if technically something is "wrong", if you're happy with the way it looks then it really doesn't matter!

This was not the first chart I have used that had a row end with a yarn over. I actually just worked to the end of the row, turned, and then wrapped the yarn around the right hand needle and considered that the first stitch of the next row. I'm not sure how "right" it is to do that, but it's how I've always done it when I encounter a yarn over at the end of a row. 

• 2 years later...

Do not know if anyone is still looking for help with this issue but your question came up when I Googled the same question. Then I clicked on a link to www.craftcookie.com and took me to a pattern called Wheat In The Wind which had the chart but also written instructions for the same stitch. It was a lifesaver to me. I believe those who replied had already correctly worked it out with you but just wanted you to know you were doing as intended I believe.

Cyndie

Archived