Amy

Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

I have finished one back and one front. I have one partial skein that should do at least one sleeve if not both and another partial that will take care of the second front.

I have one untouched skein that should take care of the edging and anything the two partial skeins don't finish.

I have finished one back and one front. I have one partial skein that should do at least one sleeve if not both and another partial that will take care of the second front.

I have one untouched skein that should take care of the edging and anything the two partial skeins don't finish.

Thank you Amy!.  This helps ease my mind.

Any suggestions for an alternative cast on other than chaining? I am have a very hard time finding all my chains amongst the shells. When I get to the end I am always off. I am tired of starting over :(

Any suggestions for an alternative cast on other than chaining? I am have a very hard time finding all my chains amongst the shells. When I get to the end I am always off. I am tired of starting over :(

I posted this earlier because I had the same problem:

I had a very hard time withe the first row.  I would do the shell, and since it was so many stitches in one stitch, I wasn't always able to do the skip four and end up in the right stitch for the next shell, then I would not end at the right stitch.   So, after about the 5th start over, I did the following:  I figured out which chain stitch would have the shell and started marking the stitches with a stitch marker as I did the 82 chain stitches.

FYI, here are the stitches to mark as you chain: 3, 8,13,18,23,28,33,38,43,48,53,58,63,68,73,78

It really helped me because I knew exactly where to put the shell.

Hope this can be of help to others.

Cindy

• Like 2

Another way to make sure you can see all your chain stitches after working the shell into a stitch: hold onto the top of the shell and tug your unworked chain out to the side. That will open things up and make it easier to see the chain immediately next to the chain with the shell in it.

Thank you.

In the meantime I wrote to Jenny King herself and she confirmed me that indeed the gauge of the US pattern is the correct one.

So now I can start to make my Amy cardigan :yay

"see" you later ladies  :rose

greetings from Belgium      :waving            

For people who are having problems with stitch counts. This is what has helped me maybe it will help you.

I use stitch markers all the time. They can be anything from paperclips to safety pins to store bought ones made specifically for that purpose. In dark colors it helps me find the first stitch or the last stitch in each row. When doing long chains you can make intervals of 10 or whatever works for you. Do this before you turn to do the first row either while you're chaining or after you're finished. This will save you from lots of frogging when you finish the row and find your stitch is off.

It helps in keeping row counts i.e. back repeat rows 3-9. I will use 7 markers and mark the first stitch of each row. if I put it down all I have to do is count the number of markers to know where I am.

Edited by Lnb804

I've never joined this type of yarn before and I would be interested in what type of joins people are using.  Knots, russian join, surgeons knot? 

I've never joined this type of yarn before and I would be interested in what type of joins people are using.  Knots, russian join, surgeons knot? 

I just plan on tying a small knot and sewing the ends into the work.  I have never done a russian join or surgeons knot on anything.  Do they hold better.  I have never had a problem with anything coming apart either as I usually leave 6 or more inches to tuck in.

I just plan on tying a small knot and sewing the ends into the work.  I have never done a russian join or surgeons knot on anything.  Do they hold better.  I have never had a problem with anything coming apart either as I usually leave 6 or more inches to tuck in.

I have very limited experience with cotton yarn, other than for utility kind of stuff like pot holders and sleeves for mobile phones etc.

I've gotten into doing Russian joins but don't see doing this with cotton.  It works well with stretchy springy yarns.

The techniques are hard to explain in words but if you do a search you'll find tutorials on how to.  

• Like 1

I have very limited experience with cotton yarn, other than for utility kind of stuff like pot holders and sleeves for mobile phones etc.

I've gotten into doing Russian joins but don't see doing this with cotton.  It works well with stretchy springy yarns.

The techniques are hard to explain in words but if you do a search you'll find tutorials on how to.  

Thank you. I will do a search for them.

running into knots in the skein of yarn.  Anyone else dealing with this?

Yes, I've had knots in a couple of skeins. Yarn manufacturers will generally not consider one knot in a skein a manufacturing defect, as it's within their tolerance levels.

I just cut the knot out and attach new yarn as I would when I run out of a ball.

I don't think the Russian join would be very effective with the way all the individual plies of this yarn are twisted together.

When I join, I just drop the tail and start working with the new yarn. I loosely tie half a knot (like the beginning of tying your shoes) to keep the yarn in place, and keep working. I will go back and weave those ends in securely when I'm finished the garments. (Yes, I always wait until the end to weave in ends.)

I leave at least at 6" tail of yarn, and weave in one direction, then back the other way, then back the first way. I also try to make sure that at least once  I run the tail back through itself, helping to anchor it in place.

That is what I've been doing also. Weave ends in a similar way. I was making a sweater once and wove as I went. Needed to rip out and the yarn was to caught up. Needless to say, I now always wait till the end. Thinking I will try the Russian join sometime though.

I posted this earlier because I had the same problem:

I had a very hard time withe the first row.  I would do the shell, and since it was so many stitches in one stitch, I wasn't always able to do the skip four and end up in the right stitch for the next shell, then I would not end at the right stitch.   So, after about the 5th start over, I did the following:  I figured out which chain stitch would have the shell and started marking the stitches with a stitch marker as I did the 82 chain stitches.

FYI, here are the stitches to mark as you chain: 3, 8,13,18,23,28,33,38,43,48,53,58,63,68,73,78

It really helped me because I knew exactly where to put the shell.

Hope this can be of help to others.

Cindy

You are awesome, Cindy!! What a brilliant idea. I will try this when I am not tired in the evening and can concentrate :)

I've finished the back and front pieces and seamed them together. Excuse the tails!

Front view:

image.png

Back view:

image2.png

• Like 1

If you've been waiting for your favorite color to get back in stock, I have good news for you: All colors are now in stock. Order now before the popular colors are sold out again!

I asked Jenny via email how we would make the sweater a 2xl and she responded that she has a 48" bust and is a 2xl and it fits her fine. She gave me permission to post most this.

• Like 1

Hi I have been working on the Amy cardigan but I am now stuck at row 10 who can I ask about it? Thanks Stephanie  The yarn is so pretty love it I got the green...thanks Stephanie

I was able to figure out the rest of the care symbols, but what does the sun represent? From left to right I figured out:  Handwash cool, (sun), No bleach, do not wring, do not hang, dry flat & low iron

If you have questions, please ask them here in this thread. Look for Post #2 in this thread, where answers are being compiled.

If you think I've missed something that should be added to that post, let me know. :)

I haven't been able to find out anything about that symbol, but my best guess would be not to store the yarn/garment in bright, direct sunlight.

Sue, yes, Jenny should have emailed the pattern to you already. Be sure to check your spam/junk/bulk mail folders, as some messages end up getting sent there.

If you can't find the email, send me a private message here on the forum with the email address you used to place your order. I can send you the pattern.

I have finished one sleeve. Now I'm working on the edging, then I'll finish the other sleeve.