Feb 2014 CAL: Amy Cardigan by Jenny King (official)

Amy

Special thanks to our wonderful partners, designer Jenny King of Jenny King Designs and Mona Modica of Creative Yarn Source, home of the wonderful Omega yarns.

Join us in February as we all work together on the fabulous Amy Cardigan designed by Australian designer Jenny King. Yes, she designed it just for me and named it after me. She even had the pattern sample stitched up in my favorite color: purple!

This lacy cardigan fits sizes Small through XL with no shaping or fitting required.

AmyCardigan.front.jpg     AmyCardigan.side.jpg

AmyCardigan.back.jpg     AmyCardigan.detail.jpg

IMG_1766.png     IMG_1770.png

Kits with the pattern and 5 balls of Mimosa yarn, a fingering weight yarn of 62% cotton and 38% rayon, available in 16 different colors, are available at a special price of only $30.25 plus shipping/handling from Creative Yarn Source. Pattern is available exclusively in this kit.

Click here to purchase your kit from Creative Yarn Source.

MimosaColorChart.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMPORTANT PATTERN NOTES:

1. The shell stitch is:

a. US: ( 3 dc, ch 2, 1 dc ) all in the same stitch

b. UK: ( 3 tr, ch 2, 1 tr) all in the same stitch

2. The ch-3 at the beginning of each row counts as a dc (US) or tr (UK) throughout the pattern.

3. Tips for working Row 6:

As you work row 6, when you come to the end of Row 5, you're going to see a reverse-shell (1 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) followed by 4 dc.

You'll work a shell as usual into that ch-2 space of the last shell, then you'll skip the 3 dc of that shell, so you have 4 dc left. You'll skip 1 of the dc, then (dc, ch 1, dc) in the 2nd dc, skip the 3rd dc, and dc in the 4th (last) dc.

Australians don't punctuate their patterns the way we do in the US.

Here's Jenny's Row 6:

Ch 3, dc 1 ch dc in the next st, sk 2 dc, 1 shell in each ch-2 sp to last 4 st, sk dc, dc 1 ch dc in the next st. skdc, dc in last st.

Here's my version of Row 6:

Ch 3, (dc, ch 1, dc) in the next dc, sk 2 dc, 1 shell in each ch-2 sp across to last 4 dc, sk 1 dc, (dc, ch 1, dc) in the next dc, sk 1 dc, dc in last dc.

The two ends are not symmetrical in the way you skip stitches in the 4 dc on either end, since the shell itself is not symmetrical. You need to skip the way it's written for the shells to lie correctly.

4 Link to PDF for the Asian Seaming technique.

5. For the front pieces, you will increase on both sides for rows 3-16, and only on the side seam edge for rows 17 onward.

6. Changes to FRONT directions for US version:</p>

a. Row 33-42 should read Rows 32-42.

b. Row 43: last instructions for this row should read 1 dc in the last st (NOT 1 shell in the last st).

c. "Repeat the last 2 rows 3 times" will be Rows 45-50.

d. Eliminate Row 51.

7. Clarification for BACK directions:

a. When you get to the shoulder shaping rows, you will decrease by 1 shell at the beginning of the row and by 2 shells at the end of the row (total of 3 shells per row). After completing two rows, you'll have decreased by a total of 6 shells (shells on each end).

b. You should end with 4 shells in the middle of the back piece. This will actually have you finishing on Row 49. If you'd like to have 50 rows like the front pieces do, just add an extra row of 28 shells before you begin the shoulder shaping.

8. Sleeves

a. Feel free to make fewer or more loops to achieve the fit that you want. The lace does stretch, so you can make the sleeve cuffs with negative ease

b. The fit shown is to have the cuffs very close-fitting.

I ordered my kit. For the yarn. Jenny had already sent me a copy of my namesake pattern! :)

And yes, I did order my kit in purple. Did anybody really doubt that? LOL

Hi, ordered the kit. A friend of mine who is interested ask me for the size. Is relevant? The yarn would be enough for a 3x, 4x? Am like a 1x size wise. Just wondering. Am already waiting for my kit. Thanks. Blessings

The pattern is one size fits all up to 1X. I know, I know. Often times that results in a garment that looks good on nobody.

But Jenny has told me that they've had a bunch of their customers, in all different sizes, from Small to 1X, try it on. Everybody has been very happy with the way it looks. Jenny really is capable of magic with her designs!

If anybody wants to make adjustments to go up to a 2X, 3X, or larger, yes, you're going to need more yarn. I'll be quite honest and say that I have no idea how many extra skeins, because I always make a size small.

I'm not exactly sure how we'll need to adjust the garment to accommodate larger sizes, but we'll work through it together. I'll even get Jenny's input if we need it, but I'm pretty sure we'll be able to figure it out amongst ourselves.

This is going to be such a fun project to work on together.

Jenny just told me that 33 kits have already been ordered so far, and we're only just getting started.

Since we're working on a design by Jenny King, I'm going to encourage all of you to consider coming to the Crochet Guild of America's 20th anniversary Chain Link conference this summer, which is part of the Knit and Crochet Show. It will be held in Manchester, NH, July 23-27. Jenny is coming to the conference all the way from Australia, bringing a big group of Australians with her. She'll even be teaching a number of classes at the conference.

Since we're only having one show and not two this year, there should be very high attendance at the show. It's very likely the hotel will sell out. If you think there's any kind of reasonable chance that you can make it to the show, make a hotel reservation NOW. You can cancel with no penalty until somewhere around 5 or 6 PM on the day of arrival. (But please don't hold a room past the point you know for sure you won't be able to attend.)

We'll probably get to know each other quite well during this CAL, so you may even make a friend you can room with to help cut down on attendance costs. :)

Knit and Crochet Show information

Don't you think it would be fabulous for a lot of to be at the show, all wearing our Amy Cardigans on the same day? It would make a fabulous group picture!

While we all wait on our kits to arrive, if you have any questions about the conference, let me know. I'll be happy to serve as an enabler and get as many of your there as I possibly can. :)

My kit was shipped yesterday  :clap I am so excited.  Cannot wait to get started.  Even though purple is my favorite color, I need more variety in my wardrobe so I ordered Jade because I like it too and want to build on it in my wardrobe.  I am making this one for me, but will use the pattern over and over again for myself and others I am sure.

Thanks again for another wonderful CAL  :ty

Amy,

Regarding the show in Manchester; I made the hotel reservation in late October with the understanding that changes can be made to it. What do I need to do now to use the discount code on the show site? I'll be ordering the kit this weekend- still trying to decide on a color.

I have a question....got an email saying that the yarn was shipped but that the pattern was coming from Jenny?  Any idea when that will be sent out?  I would hate to think I have this gorgeous yarn sitting there and not be able to start because I don't have the pattern.  :cry

The pattern should come via email from Jenny within 24 hours of your purchase, maybe a little longer on weekends. Please be sure to check any spam and bulk mail folders to make sure it doesn't get sent there by mistake.

If you don't receive your pattern within 24 hours of placing your order, send me a message here or on the Crochetville with the email address you used to place your order. I can re-send the pattern if necessary if for some reason you don't get the email from Jenny.

Archived