fpdc in the round

tiffer93

Question

The stitch is not new to me, I've done it a million times! However, I am designing a hat that uses fpdc and in the rounds after I've done all the increasing I need to do, the stitches have started leaning more than I would like. Is there a secret to keeping them all lined up? I know that some leaning is natural, but this is to the point that the entire design is off! Should I be missing a stitch and then placing it somewhere? 

First 6 rounds of pattern (my design) are as follows:

*Note: 2 dc are worked in the st behind the fpdc on increase rounds, do not skip the stitch behind the fpdc

Magic ring, ch 1

Rd One: 10 dc in ring, join, ch 1 (10 sts)

Rd Two: 2 dc in joining st, dc and fpdc in next st, *2 dc in next st, dc & fpdc in next st*. Repeat from * to * around, join, ch 1 (15 dc & 5 fpdc)

Rd Three: 2 dc in joining st, dc in next 3 sts, fpdc around fpdc, *2 dc in next st, dc in next 3 sts, fpdc around fpdc*. Repeat from * to * around, join, ch 1 (25 dc and 5 fpdc)

Rd Four: 2 dc in joining st, dc in next 5 sts, fpdc around fpdc, *2 dc in next st, dc in next 5 sts, fpdc around fpdc*. Repeat from * to * around, join, ch 1 (35 dc and 5 fpdc)

Rd Five: 2 dc in joining st, dc in next 7 sts, fpdc around fpdc, *2 dc in next st, dc in next 7 sts, fpdc around fpdc*. Repeat from * to * arouud, join, ch 1 (45 dc and 5 fpdc)

Now here is the issue, when working the next few rounds the stitches start to lean. I have it written as such:

Rd Six: dc in joining st, dc in next 8 sts, fpdc around fpdc, *dc in next 9 stitches (missing st behind the fpdc from now on), fpdc around fpdc*. Repeat from * to * around, join, ch 1 (45 dc and 5 fpdc) 

Can someone work this up and tell me where I am going wrong? The fpdc should all stay in line but instead they are doing some major leaning! Any hints/tips are appreciated! 

3 answers to this question

Of all the patterns I have made over the years of "crochet in the round", I have never joined a round at the end. By placing a stitch marker at the end of each round, determines where it ends.  Maybe, closing each round with a join instead of marking and continuing, might be one of the reasons why it's leaning. According to your pattern, if you are also not turning after each join, might be another part of the problem. Best wishes to resolve this.

Archived