Help with a knitted doily....

#1Crochetfan

I usually like to try something I've never done in the New year, and have been working on a doily. Are there any experts who can help me with a row where there is something missing, to get it somewhat the way it should be?

I have to go outside and clear the snow. I will try to scan an image of what it should look like when done, and I'll give the calculations of the rows leading up to the one I am stuck on in a few hours. I don't know any knitting experts who can help me. My husband's grandmother passed away two years ago and she was the only one able to help when I was stuck. I know there is something missing in the row, but I don't know how to fix it.:(

Thanks Tampadoll for any help you can give me. 

The name of the pattern is  Anemone Knitted Doily.

Okay, so  my problem is that there are no stitch totals given and I thought I was doing well until I reached Rnd 6. I haven't gotten very far, so I'm sure I will have more problems, but I do like the challenge of trying to figure things out :think even though it can be frustrating.

"Rnd 6: O twice, k 4 tog".

O= yarn over

Below is a recap of the rnd totals and how I arrived at them before round 6.  I may not be doing something right.

Rnd 1- 7 sts total

Rnd 2- When you knit and purl in each stitch I determined a total of 14.

Rnd 3- This was simply a stitch in a stich so the total stays at 14.

Rnd 4- "K1,O twice, k1."   I calculate 28 sts. for the total.  I may be wrong here.

Rnd 5- "K1,p1, in each O twice, k all other sts."- I get a 42 stitch total

If there are 42 sts. as a total before rnd 6, when I knit 4 tog, I am left with two remaining.

I'm sorry if the pictures aren't very good.  the magazine is really old.  It was my hubby's great grandma's.  If you look at the picture, you can see that the yarn overs form the holes.  I got the seven holes in the very center.  Rnd 6 will form 14 holes, I got each of the seven segments made up of 6 sts so I am thinking maybe I should O twice, and k6 tog, but boy would that be hard.  As I was outside clearing the snow, that is the only thing I can think of to try. 

I am open to anything you or anyone can think of. 

post-3193-0-81090800-1388779452_thumb.jpg

post-3193-0-39436800-1388779466_thumb.jpg

Ok I played with this last night.  I even got out a pair of needles and tried to figure this out. 

Row 4 I come out with 21 stitches.  K1 O K1 O K1  Your pattern for this row is 5 stitches.  If I read 4 right it is k1 O twice then k1.  You will end with one stitch that you will k.

Row 5 I then come out with 29 stitches with a K at the end on the last stitch.

Let me know if I have 4 wrong and see it that makes a difference.  But on each row I end up with 1 stitch, which I knitted.

Just finished working rounds 1-6. You have have rounds 4 and 5 correct - that is what I came up with as well. Round 6 is O twice, k 3 tog. Not k 4 tog.  There are 42 stitches at the end of round 6. 

Gingerbread Girl- Just finished working rounds 1-6. You have have rounds 4 and 5 correct - that is what I came up with as well. Round 6 is O twice, k 3 tog. Not k 4 tog.  There are 42 stitches at the end of round 6.

Thanks, that may be something for me to try.  I know once I make it to the petals, I will be okay with the rest of the pattern, but if I do, Otwice, k3tog I will have 28 holes and not 14 like that of the piccture.

Maybe I can do O, k3tog, but then I won't have 42 sts. total but I'll have 28 sts. total.  Hmmm.....I appreciate your help.  I think I need to look at this pattern more carefully and I may have to re think what to do.  Maybe I should pick a different doily similar, that I know will work up with no problems. 

Tampa Doll-  I found what I was doing wrong.  Gingerbread Girl has it right.  Sorry about that.

Thanks for any help.  I have wanted to try this pattern for so long but, there are just too many problems in it.

If round 7 is worked in a similar manner as round 5 where the yarn overs are concerned, it should work out to 14 holes like in the pictures. Just follow the pattern as written. I think sometimes we can overthink patterns and make them complicated when they aren't. Sometimes just doing it and trusting the pattern is the best way to go. Worst case scenario it doesn't work out an you have to frog it and try again but I think it should be good as written.

Archived