2014 Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas - Delivered!

badrhinogillett

This is the 8th year that I come to all of you to ask for help with a cause close to my heart.  In 2006, my son was born with a life-threatening and rare disorder.  We were expecting a healthy boy and suddenly were facing the scariest days of our lives.  Nathan was only the 7th person in the world to have the disorder in the 10 years preceeding his birth.

When Nathan was 3 days old, he flew to Oakland Children's Hospital, here in the San Francisco Bay Area.  It's the largest Children's Hospital between Los Angeles and Seattle.  For 10 days, the amazing staff saved my son's life.  Over the course of 9 months, we were seen by doctors until Nathan was miraculously healthy (out of the 6 preceeding cases, 2 children died, 2 had lifelong complications and 2 were well).  I owe an emotional debt to the hospital that is impossible for me to repay.  This drive is my attempt to give back a bit of what they did for us.

Nathan was born in November, and we weren't sure if he'd be home for Christmas.  Somehow, the pain increased at the thought of him being hospitalized over the holiday.  That seems odd, I know.  How could the most horrible thing to happen to you be worse because of one day?  I dont' know the answer to that, but I just know it to be true.  We were lucky that Nathan was home for the holiday, but so many families aren't as lucky as we were.

I'm asking for donations of afghans for the NICU babies.  The first ghans will be passed out on Christmas day by Santa.   Any remaining afghans will be given out by the nurses and by the hospital chaplain.  The NICU cares for babies from extreme preemie (think Barbie doll sized) to children 1 year old.  Afghans of all shapes are needed.   

If you are compelled to make something for an older child, I can take that too.  The hospital cares for children up to 18 years of age.

Any size and weight afghan will work. Whatever you feel happy making, will find a child who will love it and a family who will be comforted by your loving gift.  For me, the cards made by local children that were given to us, and the prayers of people that didn't know us gave me strength.

The smaller the afghan you make - consider using lighter weight yarns.  Extreme preemies weigh a pound or less.  The smaller the baby you make an afghan for, the more likely the baby is on more monitors;  therefore, the tiny afghans should have less holes in order for the wires not to get caught in them.

I would ask that if you come from a home with smokers that you wash the afghans immediately before shipping to me.  I am able to take afghans all year long as I have a storage bin that I keep them in in our storage shed.  I will deliver the afghans the week after Thanksgiving.  This gives the hospital the time to organize them in preparation for Santa's delivery.

If you'd like to make hats or booties or anything else, please do!  

I've also created a Facebook Group so you can connect with us there as well.   It's a closed group, but ask to join (and let me know here that you are asking if you could) and I'll do so.  You are free to add your Facebook friends who may want to help as well.  I just ask that you add people you know only because I'm eventually giving them my address. 

Thank you so much for thinking of the babies.  You have no idea how much comfort you will be bringing to a family that needs support and hope.  Your gift is just that for them.  

In the 7 years that you all have helped me, we have sent 1061 afghans to help these babies

Received so far:  

232 Afghans
167 Hats
4 Booties
8 Jacket

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't sure you were still doing this.  I have some that I made for last year, I posted a note a few months ago in last years,  asking ,but never got a response. 

Debbie

Debbie, I'm sorry about that.  I had difficult year, crochet wise... wasn't getting updates from the Ville and thought I didn't have posts.  When I logged back in, I tried to respond to them.  I"m absolutely doing this again - and every year till I die.

I would LOVE to help you with this charity.  I'm always crocheting baby items because they crochet up so fast and are so cute to make.  Please email me your address. 

Thank you so much!  I"ll PM you my address.  As I said, feel free to send me packages at any time.  I have 2 75 gallon storage containers that I store in a rubbermaid shed.  They items stay nice and safe all year until I deliver.

Because of the press that the hospital is currently receiving nationwide, I feel compelled to say something.  People are painting the staff out to be heartless and uncaring.  I can assure you that nothing is farther from the truth.  I've witnessed the display of Godliness (the only word I know to associate with the behavior) out of virtually every staff member.  They are caring, loving selfless people who rejoice when a child thrives, and grieves when they don't.

Have you considered making a facebook page for this?  I'd love to spread it around to others on my facebook.

I'm in.  Thank you for doing what you do!

Hats, booties... anything that you feel compelled to make will find a home with a child that needs it.  My motto is, "you make it and I"ll take it!"  :lol

hmmm.... facebook page.... that's an interesting idea... how would I control who is on it?  (I'm not really comptuer savy)

You could either do a page or a group. To be able to control who is on it, you would need to do a group. But for a page - you just get people to like your page.. For a group, people have to be accepted in order to be a member! 

Either way, count me in - PM me your address & I'll see what I can come up with!  

Do you think the corner to corner throw is too"holey" for the littlest ones. That pattern works up quickly and the small sizes would not use much yarn

The corner to corner pattern I use isn't very "holey" at all.  Depending on which pattern you use, it should be great!  

I willhave to see...I use the red heart one...though there is a knitted one also that is not hoey at all and still would not use a ton of yarn. I will see what I can manage. I don't want to commit just in case I get busy but will keep this in mind

Sandie- I haven't set up a facebook page.  I wouldn't want an open page... but need to create a group that I can add people to.  In my first post here, I mention that literally ANY size afghan is needed.  The NICU babies range from the size of a Barbie Doll to a 20+ pound year old baby.  The hospital cares for children up to 18.  I leave color and size choices up to you - make what makes you happy.

One thing to consider for tiny babies... while most make it home, not all will.  It's helpful if an afghan is large enough to wrap around the tiny babies - so that if they aren't making it home, the child can be wrapped in it as their parent's hold them as they pass away and then keep it as a memento. But, thankfully, most babies come home.

Kathryn -- I'm definitely in and actually just got one done that I will commit to your drive. I like to get at least one done early in the year for you so in case things get crazy later that I'll have at least gotten one blanket to you.

Archived