Boxing Day CAL 2014

babypoohsmom

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice hat.

So here is the "Tezzie" hat. I could not put the last two rows (front post, back post dc's) for the brim because it would have made the hat too long. I have 5 pattern rows. I should have probably stopped at 4 and done the brim. I will get a chance to try that because I started one in pink and have run out of yarn. Of course it was cast off yarn, no label or anything, so I will probably finish it in the off white.
attachicon.gifimage.jpg
It is a very thick, comfortable hat. I like it and thought it was fun to make.

Got back to work on a 18" Doll Pioneer Nightgown set I got as a wishlist gift in December last night.  It's made with a baby camo yarn from Hobby Lobby that I'd never seen before and it is really soft.  I'm going to have to go back and see if it comes in other colors because I would love to work with the yarn again.

Also had DH help me with cutting some plastic canvas so I got the basket part done for a kit I got for a 5 inch doll  from Mary Maxim on sale last year.  I believe the pattern originally came from Maggie's.  It has the basket, mattress, blanket, and pillow for the doll.  Then it has a sleeper for the doll to wear.  So far I've completed the basket.  It still needs handles.  Considering I planned to have this completed for the 2013 donation, I'm feeling I'm off to a good start having the basket completed in Jan. :yes

Welcome Gardener!

Darski, I hope you figure out the hat. Once you "get it" it really isn't that hard. The video was a must for me. I just finished my pink and white one. I need to tuck in the ends and get a picture.

And Bailey, sounds like you have a good start on your project.

Wow! It's only January 4 and look at what all has been done! I feel like a real slacker.

I finished this round ripple while I was off over Christmas, but since it's still in my possession, I'm counting it for 2014. I totally lost track of what I had done in 2013 anyway. I'll try to do better this year. The colors aren't as gray as they look in the photo, and it really isn't all wonky. This was just not a day I could bend down to straighten it out. It could be a small lapghan or a toddler afghan.

I working one in the same kind of yarn in green now with the Lucy (Attic24) wave pattern. Some of you may remember last year's big project was to use up my Caron One Pound (not even close, still have a boatload of it). I've just stored all that away again and now I'm going to focus on using the bulky closeout yarn I got at JA last summer, lots of boucle and a fair amount of bulky brushed yarn, all of it soft and squishy. The skeins are big and take up so much storage space it would be nice to move it on out. Anyway, on big hooks it works up quickly.

I probably won't get as much done this year as I sometimes do. I want to try working with thread crochet and plan to spend some time on that after I finish my current WIP. Actually, I'm pretty much just crocheted out right now, and have spent most of my time lately doing jigsaws and crosswords and logic puzzles and anything I don't have to hold a hook for. I did a huge afghan in the late fall for a friend in double strand boucle and it took it out of me. I thought it would never end. But eventually the enthusiasm will come back. I think working with thread for a while may energize me. Or maybe just make me long for good honest worsted again!

I also still have one One Pound WIP that I may try to finish up too, just to clear the decks for new things.

post-39480-0-29370500-1388880125_thumb.jpg

I would like to join. At my former church, I used to make prayer shawls. I haven't made any in about a year or so, but recently, I felt the need to make one yet not knowing who I would give it to. After I made it, I met someone who could use it. So in about a week, I made 2 and have almost a 3rd one down. I was going to give them to a local shelter for women/children for domestic violence. However, I think one of them will go to a family in my town, whose 7 yr old special needs boy was diagnosed with a brain tumor last month and only has a short time to live. I know this boy from volunteering at my son's school and he is such a sweet boy.

post-41739-0-81711800-1388885762_thumb.jpg

post-41739-0-42233300-1388885778_thumb.jpg

Beautiful afghan and beautiful prayer shawls.

I know some have said were they donate things. Was wondering if everyone could let us know. I usually donate granny squares, hats, and yarn to http://fromewetoyou.m.webs.com/site/classic?url=http://fromewetoyou.webs.com/index.htm&back=http%3A%2F%2Ffromewetoyou.m.webs.com%2Fsite%2Fmobile%3Furl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Ffromewetoyou.webs.com%2Findex.htm

The batch of squares I'm about to start on is going t my local Michaels. They have a box for Warm-Up America. They also have a day where everyone who signs up comes and helps put them together. Not sure if I'll do that or not.

Also I was wondering do you donate local or mail things somewhere? I mail mine out.

Just thought it would be fun to learn a little more about what we each do.

My husband drop the dolls with their clothes/accessories and what ever other toys I might make at the local tech high school during their Christmas toy drive.  So we don't have to mail them.  I have a year to acquire enough to donate.  I love the stories he tells me about their reactions when he drops the stuff off.  The woman that runs the program always sends a beautiful thank you note after Christmas.

My husband drop the dolls with their clothes/accessories and what ever other toys I might make at the local tech high school during their Christmas toy drive.  So we don't have to mail them.  I have a year to acquire enough to donate.  I love the stories he tells me about their reactions when he drops the stuff off.  The woman that runs the program always sends a beautiful thank you note after Christmas.

That is so great! Such an amazing way to brighten the Christmas of some very deserving kids.

Hi Donna, sorry you didn't get to get rid of those pounders last year, but you made a lot of nice afghans while you were trying. Your star afghan is pretty.

Welcome Missy Ann! I have never made a prayer shawl. I don't seem to have the attention span for anything like that. I have only actually finished a few afghans. Thanks for joining us.

Finally, I did finish another Tezzie hat. I had said before that 5 rows seemed too long. Ha ha, so today I actually READ the pattern and it said to stitch 4 pattern rows. Oops, so that explains why the last one was so long that I had to omit the two brim rows!!

post-13802-0-30404900-1388896765_thumb.jpg

And Krazy, to answer your question..,I think you all know I make a lot of items for an animal shelter here in Phoenix. I make "comfort items" that are used in the kennels at the shelter and in Petsmart stores. The blankets and toys go home with the cats when they get adopted so they have something with a familiar smell in their new homes. The beds and cat mats stay with the shelter. I volunteer one night a week at the Petsmart store near my home taking care of the cats and letting them out to play. I also foster kittens. I usually get young kittens that are surrendered with no mom. I can't take them when they need bottle feeding because I work full time. Mine are just underweight and almost always sick. They are very fun. Last spring I had 3 litters back-to-back.

As far as hats go...I participate in one craft show every fall. It is a show that is handmade only items and carefully juried. After that show, the hats that do not sell go to charity. Seems like a different one each year. The last time, they went to a homeless shelter for veterans here in Phoenix, but I didn't get the kids ones sent out anywhere so I have a few of those that will roll over into this year's show.

Of course now and then I send hats and scarves to people who make special requests. I sent scarves to someone who was distributing them after Sandy hit the east coast, and have done a few for special Olympics.

Whew, more than you wanted to know, huh??

Our church got involved with a mission organization last year that collects blankets for kids and teens. They can be bought or made, so long as they are new. I think they collect coats and hats and stuff, too. Last year, I planned to donate something and never got around to it. So I'm planning ahead to be ready this fall.

Sorry to have been absent since Friday.  My internet died but the kind gentleman fixed it today.

I have made 2 Tezzie hats and 3 Divine hats so far.  I am also working on another c2c shawl.  They are so pretty when done.  I almost like them better than the full ghans.

Tomorrow is Post and Pics Monday for my hat box CAL so I will try to post come pics here as well.

Sorry to have been absent since Friday.  My internet died but the kind gentleman fixed it today.

I have made 2 Tezzie hats and 3 Divine hats so far.  I am also working on another c2c shawl.  They are so pretty when done.  I almost like them better than the full ghans.

Tomorrow is Post and Pics Monday for my hat box CAL so I will try to post come pics here as well.

Glad you got computer fixed. Can't wait to see pics.

Hi Donna, sorry you didn't get to get rid of those pounders last year, but you made a lot of nice afghans while you were trying. Your star afghan is pretty.

Welcome Missy Ann! I have never made a prayer shawl. I don't seem to have the attention span for anything like that. I have only actually finished a few afghans. Thanks for joining us.

Finally, I did finish another Tezzie hat. I had said before that 5 rows seemed too long. Ha ha, so today I actually READ the pattern and it said to stitch 4 pattern rows. Oops, so that explains why the last one was so long that I had to omit the two brim rows!!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Pretty hat!!!

I have a friend who is in administration at a local hospital. I generally give the lapghans I make to her and she distributes there wherever she likes - their hospice center, abused children's center or cancer center. I have also given her a few baby blankets that she finds a home for somewhere. Last fall I took some lapghans to a local charity that helps homeless families get a new start. I have given them used furniture and household things in the past, but this was the first time I took any of my lapghans. They would be good sizes for children too, so I thought they might like having them. I may take some of the ones made with the bulky yarn there too.

I haven't heard of a local place to donate hats and scarves, but may try to find one. I've only made a few hats and scarves, but would like to have some smaller things to work on. I may look into that for next fall. I have mailed things, but prefer not to have to do that.  

I lost some of my words from my pics post.  I was just saying that my c2c shawl was too small (@ 58X28)  and will need more trim rows. 

When I tried to find the words in the post they just weren't there :sigh

I have a friend who is in administration at a local hospital. I generally give the lapghans I make to her and she distributes there wherever she likes - their hospice center, abused children's center or cancer center. I have also given her a few baby blankets that she finds a home for somewhere. Last fall I took some lapghans to a local charity that helps homeless families get a new start. I have given them used furniture and household things in the past, but this was the first time I took any of my lapghans. They would be good sizes for children too, so I thought they might like having them. I may take some of the ones made with the bulky yarn there too.

I haven't heard of a local place to donate hats and scarves, but may try to find one. I've only made a few hats and scarves, but would like to have some smaller things to work on. I may look into that for next fall. I have mailed things, but prefer not to have to do that.  

How many afghans do you donate at one time. I have a few friends that work at hospitals in the area.

Wow! It's only January 4 and look at what all has been done! I feel like a real slacker.

I finished this round ripple while I was off over Christmas, but since it's still in my possession, I'm counting it for 2014. I totally lost track of what I had done in 2013 anyway. I'll try to do better this year. The colors aren't as gray as they look in the photo, and it really isn't all wonky. This was just not a day I could bend down to straighten it out. It could be a small lapghan or a toddler afghan.

I working one in the same kind of yarn in green now with the Lucy (Attic24) wave pattern. Some of you may remember last year's big project was to use up my Caron One Pound (not even close, still have a boatload of it). I've just stored all that away again and now I'm going to focus on using the bulky closeout yarn I got at JA last summer, lots of boucle and a fair amount of bulky brushed yarn, all of it soft and squishy. The skeins are big and take up so much storage space it would be nice to move it on out. Anyway, on big hooks it works up quickly.

I probably won't get as much done this year as I sometimes do. I want to try working with thread crochet and plan to spend some time on that after I finish my current WIP. Actually, I'm pretty much just crocheted out right now, and have spent most of my time lately doing jigsaws and crosswords and logic puzzles and anything I don't have to hold a hook for. I did a huge afghan in the late fall for a friend in double strand boucle and it took it out of me. I thought it would never end. But eventually the enthusiasm will come back. I think working with thread for a while may energize me. Or maybe just make me long for good honest worsted again!

I also still have one One Pound WIP that I may try to finish up too, just to clear the decks for new things.

Very pretty afghan.

I would like to join. At my former church, I used to make prayer shawls. I haven't made any in about a year or so, but recently, I felt the need to make one yet not knowing who I would give it to. After I made it, I met someone who could use it. So in about a week, I made 2 and have almost a 3rd one down. I was going to give them to a local shelter for women/children for domestic violence. However, I think one of them will go to a family in my town, whose 7 yr old special needs boy was diagnosed with a brain tumor last month and only has a short time to live. I know this boy from volunteering at my son's school and he is such a sweet boy.

attachicon.gifpurple shawl.JPG

attachicon.gifblue shawl2.JPG

Those are very pretty shawls.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That is a pretty hat.

I have a "Tezzie" hat  attachicon.gifhb04.jpg  and a "Divine" hat  attachicon.gifhb02.jpg pic to post.  I like both of these and will use them again.

attachicon.gifc2c2-03.jpgattachicon.gifc2c2-01.jpgattachicon.gifc2c2-02.jpg

Nice hats.

First charity item of year granny square.attachicon.gif0107140002.jpg

Very nice.

I have a preemie afghan started and some fabric cut for a baby quilt. The preemie/baby afghans and blankets go to another crochetville member for a NICU she collects for. I also make lapghans and wheelchair bags for a local nursing home that allows our sewing guild group to use a meeting room for free so we make lap blankets and wheelchair bags for the residents.

Nice work Darski. That Devine hat is on my list if hats to try. I thought about joining your hat box CAL, but I don't always get one hat done a week. I was doing good at the start of this CAL because I had the week off!

You obviously have not been feeding your computer regularly if it is eating text out of your posts!!

Krazy, you are on a roll now. Getting the first thing done is always the hardest.

I had to sit around waiting for some doctor appointments this morning and almost finished a simple hat. Hopefully I can get it done and get a picture tomorrow. I tried using my Addi to make a hat last night with some fuzzy-ish yarn and it did not work out at all.

Archived