Boxing Day CAL 2014

babypoohsmom

Hi everyone,

I am Denise and I will be hosting the Boxing Day CAL this year. (Linda has passed the torch)

I did some googling of Boxing Day and I find it odd that we know precisely how many light years away another planet is, but we are not exactly sure about the origins of Boxing Day. Some believe it had to do with Alms Boxes placed in churches to collect donations for the poor and others tie it to gift boxes given to servants with left over food from Christmas so the servants could celebrate with their families. Either way, it has been associated somehow with charity (and probably huge sales at department stores in the UK)

So we are here to share what we do for charity. You can crochet, knit, sew, etc and obviously volunteer your TIME and tell us all about it.

We are usually nudged along by the monthly charity weekend CAL that encourages people to focus on charity items for 6 days.

You probably already know that I have been a volunteer at an animal shelter in the Metro Phoenix area for 9 years and most of my charity work benefits animals.

I did, however, get an Addi Kingsize knitting machine in October and will be making more hats for charity this year.

So please drop in and share your stories. We had a great group last year and people made everything from squares to send off for assembly, to prayer shawls and amazing baby items. And please, share your pictures when you can!

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I would like to try this one this year.  I have been making small lapghans for a senior's home and of course I always have hats on the go.

I'll try to keep a running total as I go.

Hi Darski, so glad to see you jumping in again!!

Just to get things started, I finished three more beds today. (One bed and all of the toys and pillows were finished and counted in 2013) But when I take them in to the store, I like to take the matched set. People comment on how cute the kennels look, which I hope is a good reflection on our rescue. When I started there, the kennels sometimes had bleached out torn towels for a bed. Don't get me wrong, towels can fit the need, but it looked so miserable and I knew I wanted to change that. These are definitely girl colors. I need to look in my pile of fleece for some boy colors!

post-13802-0-62257100-1388038314_thumb.jpg

I haven't been a part of this CAL for a couple of years but I think I'm going to give it a try again. I usually work on lapghans and wheelchair bags for a local nursing home. I also like to make preemie blankest for our own badrhinogillett.

Welcome cshort and Linda.

cshort, I am not sure what happened to your keyboard on the last word of your post. Looks like what happens when my kitty steps on my keyboard. Maybe you could clarify where the preemie blankets go!!

I got the crown of a hat done last night while watching a bit of A Christmas Carol. I am going to try a new patten called "cluster v stitch" by BobWilson123 on you tube. I'm excited to try something new.

badrhinogillett is a member here at Crochetville who collects blankets for a NICU. Here is a link to her 2013 thread, I don't think she has started a 2014 thread yet but she is planning to continue collecting blankets.

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/144015-2013-afghans-for-nicu-babies-for-christmas-delivered/

I'd like to join this year.  I make doll clothes for a Christmas donation.  I finished 3 outfits for next year's donation and am working on a Halloween outfit for the dolls.  Our local tech high school does a toy drive run by the business students.  I like it because the needy kids get toys and the business students learn the skills involved with running a charity drive.

Hi Bailey and Howieann!

Bailey, your project is so unique. I hope other schools pick up on the idea, and I adore your outfits.

Howieann, glad you are thinking now of the blankets for the fall. I bet we will all blink, turn around and we will be talking about 4th of July and fireworks!

I finished the hat from the new pattern I found (new to me anyway) I will post a picture tomorrow.

It is looking interesting in here fer shure :wlol

I have 3 new lapghans --squares-- on the go.  I like to have variety to keep things interesting.  I have just completed a hat so that is started for the new year as well.

I have 2 boxes of hats ready to donate but I need to find a place I can get to for that.

These two were done on my addi machine.

The first one is a single thickness and I did a crochet bind off. The second one is a typical addi hat. It is double thickness and reversible.

The second one is very simple to make and really warm.

post-13802-0-75150300-1388203814_thumb.jpg

Hi I want to be part of his for another year. Fixing to post 2013 totals in that thread. I love to do things for charity. I usually send granny squares to From EwetoYou. Sometimes I send hats and lapghans or babyghans.

It's amazing what yall have already done. I'm in awwe!!!

Well heres to a wonderful crochet filled year xoxo

Welcome Krazycrocheter! I remember your name but not your photo.  Have you recently changed it??  

I have to confess that I have had this last week off of work, so that is why I have so much done to get started!

Thanks Linda. I see your signature is updated (I guess I better do that) and you have two hats already. Do you ever post pictures?
I am working on another new pattern. It's called the Tezzie hat.
But first I will show you what happened when I took one row out of the crown of that v stitch hat. Same yarn, same hook. It came out SO SMALL. What the heck??
post-13802-0-23863900-1388299165_thumb.jpg

Welcome Krazycrocheter! I remember your name but not your photo.  Have you recently changed it??  

I have to confess that I have had this last week off of work, so that is why I have so much done to get started!

Not sure when I changed it. I know it hasn't been to terribly long ago. Maybe a month or 2.

It's wonderful you had time off work and were able to crochet.

I'm not working right now. I have lots of time on my hands. So gonna be working on my amazing amount of clutter during the day and got lots of movies for Christmas so as a wind down I'll be watching movies and crocheting.

Thanks Linda. I see your signature is updated (I guess I better do that) and you have two hats already. Do you ever post pictures?

I am working on another new pattern. It's called the Tezzie hat.

But first I will show you what happened when I took one row out of the crown of that v stitch hat. Same yarn, same hook. I came out SO SMALL. What the heck??

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Cute hats.

Thanks for the compliments. I am really enjoying trying new patterns while my head isn't junked up with work.

I am afraid this week off is going to make me spend money on lottery tickets so I can hit big and retire (right…)  It has been so, so nice. 

Archived