Getting Started on Gifts for 2014

judianne

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First gift done for Christmas 2014. My sister sent this to me from Pinterest with a one word message attached - "PLEASE!!!!!!!!!"

So hopefully she still is in love with it.

attachicon.gifcrochet 2014 002.JPG

Here is a Princess Belle inspired bag that I made up.

attachicon.gifcrochet 2014 004.JPG

attachicon.gifcrochet 2014 003.JPG

Both pillow and purse lok great!

My sister has been dealing with an injury that has kept her foot in a cast for a while now.

She wants to get back to running and so I am hoping this little gift will inspire her.

Wonder Woman Headband! (doll not included!)

post-23494-0-61530300-1390082390_thumb.jpg

So my husband has been asking for an afghan of his very own since I started making them for people. I think this might finally be his year to get one. Every time I start one within a few rows or squares I just think it isn't good enough and frog it or set it aside. I tend to do that a lot actually... Hmmm... Well, this year is going to be different! I figure if I start now I have a whole year to finish it basically, right? Now do I do a scrap granny join as you go or do I finally finish the tetris one... The granny I can make as big as I need and it'll work up a bit faster (he's a tall guy and wants it big enough to cuddle with the kiddos under it) or do I suck it up and finally get that tetris one fully off the ground. It'll take a bit longer since they are completely closed grannies though... Decisions decisions.

Welcome!

About 3 or so years ago I made a king size ghan to cover my bed using various colors,mostly neutrals and earth tones, and it came out great. I love the idea of making a huge ghan like that for your hubby. I think you'll enjoy making it big so  it can be a cuddle ghan, and you can make any type of squares you want....solid if you're in the mood, or open work ones. Plus, because you will be relaxed making an easy one, I believe you'll be putting a lot of your positive enrgy and feelings into it.

Just my opinion.

I've decided on the open work granny. I have a ton of full skeins laying around with no home so I'm making them all into three round grannies. I found a great join that simulates grannies as well!

I've decided on the open work granny. I have a ton of full skeins laying around with no home so I'm making them all into three round grannies. I found a great join that simulates grannies as well!

awesome! Can you share the info or link for the joining?

awesome! Can you share the info or link for the joining?

Of course! This is the site where I found a bunch of different links to tutorials on different types of joining.  http://www.knotyournanascrochet.com/2013/04/10-different-ways-to-join-granny-squares.html

However, since mine are just basic grannies and it's for my husband so I don't want anything too frilly, I picked the "Granny Join" one since it looks the best to me and I can make all the tiny squares when I have a chance and then piece them together later. I thought about a join as you go but since these are all going to be made from random skeins I have laying around and there is no color pattern, I figured a basic black granny type join would look best since it'd tie everything together AND no sewing (thank goodness)  http://carinascraftblog.wardi.dk/2009/06/granny-square-joining-tutorial.html 

Of course! This is the site where I found a bunch of different links to tutorials on different types of joining.  http://www.knotyournanascrochet.com/2013/04/10-different-ways-to-join-granny-squares.html

However, since mine are just basic grannies and it's for my husband so I don't want anything too frilly, I picked the "Granny Join" one since it looks the best to me and I can make all the tiny squares when I have a chance and then piece them together later. I thought about a join as you go but since these are all going to be made from random skeins I have laying around and there is no color pattern, I figured a basic black granny type join would look best since it'd tie everything together AND no sewing (thank goodness)  http://carinascraftblog.wardi.dk/2009/06/granny-square-joining-tutorial.html 

Thanks for the links on joining. Anyone who knows me will be able to tell you how I feel about sewing pieces together! I'm happy to see that there are a few techniques that don't require sewing.

Hello everyone..Looks like we're off to a great start...I too fell waaaay short of completing all my gifts I've wanted to make...And some reminders of gifts I was supposed to make years ago...So maybe THIS year will be my year.....And it will take my mind off things....I'll add more to the list as I find the patterns....

Mom-

Sister-

Niece 1-

Husband-

Daughter 1-socks,make up remover pads

Daughter 2- Sarafina shawl,socks,make up remover pads

Daughter 3-socks,fingerless gloves

Daughter 4- socks,owl afghan

Daughter 5- socks,scarf,fairy doll

Daughter 6- socks scarf,fairy doll

Son in law-

Nephew 1-Old English afghan

Dad-

Stepmom-

MIL-

SIL-

Bil-

Bil-booby pillow

I'm going to stop here, as my list is pretty daunting....I haven't even added the great nieces and nephews either...

Archived