Getting Started on Gifts for 2014

judianne

I'd like to join in on this.  I have so many little ones that I have to make things for.  Nothing big for many of them, but at least something to wrap up and give (cousin's children).  I really need to get started early on this so I am not rushing around at the last second, as that seems to be what usually happens.  I was able to get something sewed up for all of them this year, but sewing really isn't my thing.  I am much happier crocheting. 

SInce I'm new to the crochetalong thing, how does this work?  Do we make ourselves a list of people we need to craft for and keep coming back and checking off when we complete things?  And can we link to the patterns we are thinking of using to make the items?  Like putting a Ravelry link?

If so, I will start making my list now, since that doesn't really change... unless someone pops out another baby.

Cousin's kids ... Smaller items:
Kalen

Alex

Evelyn

Katie

Warren

Shelby

Kolt

Josh

Nieces & Nephews ... Larger items:

Dallas - Slipper Socks

Cheyenne

Sierra

Zak - Slipper Socks

Vinnie - Slipper Socks

Xander - Slipper Socks

Nellie

Vera
Makenzie

My Boys ... Largest items:

Timmy - Slipper/Loafers

Niko - Slipper/Loafers
Adrian - Slipper/Loafers

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for mentioning a list. That reminds me to post mine. I am not quite as far along as you, but here is my list.

Mama--something in pink (her favorite color)

David--maybe a sweater size medium or a vest or maybe a lapghan or a scarf.

Mary--likes caps, maybe a lapghan, maybe some fingerless gloves, cowl or a vest.

Emily--likes caps, maybe a vest, maybe a lapghan or a cowl.

Sara--likes caps, a vest, maybe a lapghan.

Beckie--likes caps, lavendar her favorite color, maybe a vest or a cowl, a lapghan.

Patsy--maybe a lapghan or a scarf.

Helen--same as Patsy. 

Rusty--a blanket.

Welcome, Catrina!

Some people post lists here, but it's not necessary - except in your case I think I would post one too! That's some list!!

Links to patterns are always welcome, of course if there might be copyright issues with the link, they aren't allowed. Ravelry is a wonderful source for original patterns! There are many free links on the net, too. We also love to see pictures of your projects if you can do it.

Rustys mom....you have a nice manageable list. :)

Catrinau, you certainly have your work cut out for you! That's quite a list. You'll have the slipper and slipper socks patterns memorized! My list isn't nearly as long as yours. We usually don't do gifts outside our immediate family. Unfortunately, having a short list doesn't mean I get through it. I have a tendency to procrastinate, mostly on finishing projects. I have no trouble at all getting started!

You folks inspired me, I got out a doll kit that I bought from Mary Maxim when they had a sale last year.  It is one of the 5" dolls that has the basket bed.  I got the basket crocheted last night.  Long way to go, but it is finally started.  I thought I'd have it done for this Christmas. 

If I get this done I have the Santa pins kit I bought at the same time that I never got to either.  It would help get some storage space back.

I will be heading to Joanns today. Coupon for 25% off entire purchase!

I need several skeins of yarn. Two for the pillow for my sister and at least four for projects for me.

I am heading to Disney for my birthday in February and I need princess accessories!

(Yes, i am 45 going on 7!)

I already have planned 3 sock monkey hat and scarf sets on my knitting loom.  Can I join? 

And some crochet pot holders and knitting loom dish cloths.

knitting, crocheting ....whatever makes you happy....you are more than welcome to join us!

I will be heading to Joanns today. Coupon for 25% off entire purchase!

I need several skeins of yarn. Two for the pillow for my sister and at least four for projects for me.

I am heading to Disney for my birthday in February and I need princess accessories!

(Yes, i am 45 going on 7!)

thats me....except I'm 65 going on 6!

Been working on an afghan for DH--which isn't a gift for next Christmas--he'll get it when it's done--which should be soon since I'm using Homespun Thick and Quick! I do have a scarf on the knitting needles, though which will get put away for someone's gift next year!

Hi there!

I'm Kristy in Louisiana. I am so glad I found this thread! I was thinking the same way as 2013 ended, because I ran out of time to finish my list of gifts. I'm determined to start early. Hopefully this will keep me motivated, as I will try to post photos as I go. A great reason to "hook-up"! :dance

Welcome, Kristy! Do have any projects in mind?

Well, I am thinking of making afghans for several of the people on my list this year. I guess I need to put that list together, lol. I may make a few more shawls, which were made for my grandmothers this past year....but of course, when you get oohs and aaahs from other women, you add them to the list for next year, lol.

post-30628-0-68039300-1389194474_thumb.jpg

I only have a few kids to make for other than my two, possibly a small throw in school colors for one...since he's starting highschool, not sure about the others.

My kids tend to think outside the box on the things they want, like crochted items from Dr. Who or  Halo! I made several Minecraft inspired items this past Christmas, so we'll see.

And I also plan to make several doilies and kitchen sets, which I intended for this past year, but it never happened.

Can anyone recommend a good hook with the comfort handle in the smaller sizes? I'm starting to have problems with my fingers going numb after working for too long, ugh

Ok, I'll be quiet and get to work! :lol

Kristy, that's beautiful!

And are you talking about a signature line! If so, go to your profile page...one of the sections there will give you the option for adding a signature (on the left side of the page). You can add other info, too, but there is a limit as to how much.

I hope that helps.

Well, I am thinking of making afghans for several of the people on my list this year. I guess I need to put that list together, lol. I may make a few more shawls, which were made for my grandmothers this past year....but of course, when you get oohs and aaahs from other women, you add them to the list for next year, lol.

attachicon.gif413.JPG

I only have a few kids to make for other than my two, possibly a small throw in school colors for one...since he's starting highschool, not sure about the others.

My kids tend to think outside the box on the things they want, like crochted items from Dr. Who or  Halo! I made several Minecraft inspired items this past Christmas, so we'll see.

And I also plan to make several doilies and kitchen sets, which I intended for this past year, but it never happened.

Can anyone recommend a good hook with the comfort handle in the smaller sizes? I'm starting to have problems with my fingers going numb after working for too long, ugh

Ok, I'll be quiet and get to work! :lol

Is that a shawl? Whatever it is, I think it's gorgeous.

I often use the crochet hooks with the bamboo handles, but I don't know if they come smaller than an E. My favorites for comfort are probably the Clover soft touch hooks. I don't use a lot of thread or very fine yarns, but I have a few very small hooks in the Clover brand. Pretty much any hook with a bit of body to the handle is more comfortable for me to use than an ordinary hook. However, I'm too cheap to buy expensive hooks, and my choices reflect that.

I have the Bates Bamboo and they are the only thread hooks that I can use.  I have found some in the stores, the rest I bought online, and I like that you can buy them individually.  I've seen some other sets that seem interesting, but some are only available in the thread sizes as sets.  I hate to buy a set and then not be able to use them.

Hi all.  I got my box from Herschnerrs and had to break out the afghan kit for a Christmas afghan for DH.  I am not as thrilled with their aghan 2 weight yarn as I'd hoped.  It is worked in two strains and I had to pull the first row out to get the count right and it is balling up something fierce.  I love the colors, so I'm hoping it will work out OK.

I also got some holiday dishtowels that are crocheted that I'm looking forward to getting started.   I want those to be nice little fillers in the packages for my in-laws and my Mom.

Hi all.  I got my box from Herschnerrs and had to break out the afghan kit for a Christmas afghan for DH.  I am not as thrilled with their aghan 2 weight yarn as I'd hoped.  It is worked in two strains and I had to pull the first row out to get the count right and it is balling up something fierce.  I love the colors, so I'm hoping it will work out OK.

I also got some holiday dishtowels that are crocheted that I'm looking forward to getting started.   I want those to be nice little fillers in the packages for my in-laws and my Mom.

I wish companies would give you more details about patterns and kits!

Oh I'm so in!

Yup, here I am! :)

The gifts that were most appreciated this year were hand made ones. I did not do anywhere near as well as I had hoped

Sounds like everyone is in that boat this Christmas!

I finished my first shawl for myself over the Christmas break.  I had never made one and it is so nice and warm when I'm crocheting.  It's a reader's shawl and I love the pockets!!

Can you link the pattern? That sounds very nice! It's so cold out that all I want to make is warm stuff!

As I read through this pattern I find myself cracking up. You guys are so funny. :lol

Well my Christmas went about the same way as everyone else's. Didn't get everything done. Had to BUY 2 gifts! The shame!! Everyone loved the gifts though. The road afghan is a big hit with my 2 nephews. The 2 year old has been walking on the streets. :) the snowflakes were a quick and big hit as well. I'm glad I had that ace up my sleeve or I really would have been up a creek! Made 5 flakes for the women of my family and I already had them sitting around just needed to be blocked and starched. What a lifesaver!

I have found myself thinking about next Christmas as well. I truly don't know what I'd do without this cal :heart. It really helps to keep my thoughts in order. My other favorite thing is making ravelry lists!

I see a few people mentioned a lot of afghans. My only advice to you would be start early and don't forget about them! They are very hard to whip out at the last minute! As far as gifts for kids, I've been making amigurimi animals the last two years for my younger nieces and nephews and they have all been BIG hits!

My list so far...

Dad - Joseph scarf on ravelry

Mom - possibly a wrap or snowflake trivets/placemats

FIL - same scarf??

MIL- tree skirt and dish cloth

Emilia (niece)- cowl

Felicia (niece) - ami cat

Generic present - slippers and snowflakes (this time in blue)

Want to try this pattern! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lizzie-4

I wrote a blog about the Reader's Wrap here.  It wasn't a free pattern.

Oh I'm so in!

Sounds like everyone is in that boat this Christmas!

Can you link the pattern? That sounds very nice! It's so cold out that all I want to make is warm stuff!

As I read through this pattern I find myself cracking up. You guys are so funny. :lol

Archived