loocahswit

Help:: How to make curly project flat

hi!

i would like to ask on how can i make my crochet thread project "stiff" or "flat" and not "wrinkled" or "curly" all over..... (sorry for my english i don't know the exact words to describe it... )

i tried making a motif but it's not flat. do i need to spray something on it to achieve the appearance i want?

i'm using a steel hook 7 and i think my thread yarn is 10 (the label doesn't say anything about size of yarn) cotton

i'd like to try one of these::

post-69414-0-00659900-1386790396_thumb.jpg

Thread projects are usually starched or blocked to shape them and make them flat.

You can block a cotton motif by simply wetting it thoroughly, squeezing out the excess water, then laying it out flat to dry.  Use rustproof pins to pin it into desired shape, stretching it to flatten it.  Pin out the points or scallops.  When it dries it should stay flat.  you could also iron it.  to make it stiff, you can saturate it with fabric stiffener (white glue like Elmer's, diluted with water) or you can use starch.  

For  a pendant I would think you would not want it to be too stiff as it would feel scratchy I think.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan

hi ladies!

:ty  for the suggestions...i think i'll try the elmer's glue diluted in water and blocking...

thanks again! :cheer

:c9

When I finish a doily, I pin it out into the shape that I want on a foam core board, then mist it with spray starch and let it dry before taking the pins out and removing it from the board.

Aside from blocking and starching - give it a good tug in all directions.  It'll help the stitches line up and lay flatter.