HDC or SC

guiness56

Question

I bought a graph to make an afghan.  On the website it said it was to be done in SC.  When I got the pattern it says HDC.  I have tried contacting the seller and they are not responding and it has been near a week.

How much of a difference would it make if I did it in SC instead of HDC.  I have no idea how to figure out what it should be.

8 answers to this question

Are the grids of the graph square?

Does the picture in the graph look in proportion (not squished in 1 direction or the other)

If both answers are "yes", I'd make 2 swatches, 1 in sc and 1 in hdc.  Make them in 2 colors, a square within a square - the outside at least 4", more would be better.  The inside square should be the same number of stitches vertical and horizontally.

You'll want to pick the stitch who's inside square is squarer

If the graph questions aren't "yes", the swatches will also answer the question - you may have to pick the less square stitch to 'straighten out' the graph.

They appear to be perfect squares.  Of course I have to zoom in a lot to be able to see them.  The picture looks fine.

I was actually playing around with it trying to figure out how I wanted to do them and was using SC.  I did about 6 rows and they all lined up with the pattern.

But because of the difference in personal tension a sc or a hdc might be better for you.  You won't know until you swatch.

I know swatching can seem like a pain but it really is worth it when you consider the size of the finished item.

Yep. Tension is not just loose or tight, but also stitch height.

There is a designer (Doris Chan) that has lovely patterns, but I have a hard time with some of them because we differ in our stitch heights.  She makes tall stitches, I make short stitches.

She writes about it here http://dorischancrochet.com/2009/01/05/confessions-of-a-lifter/

Ok, stupid question.  How will I know if one is better than the other?  The way they look?

Also, the type of yarn could be an issue.  I am using RHSS and they all vary on the size of the yarn even though they are all the same.  For instance, the skein of black is very thick in most places, thinner in others and sorta stiff.  Some of the other colors are more pliable and not so thick.

And it calls for an H hook.

Archived