DesertCrocheter

2014 Crochetville Swap Schedule

Does Crochetville have rules for new swappers on this site?  I haven't swapped here before, but I see lots of swaps I'd like to do next year.

Here is where  you can find the rules.  Just follow these and you should be ok.

Thank you Mom4X.  I love the ornament swap.  I had fun with it last time.

Edited by Tampa Doll

Rebby, we used to, but when we moved to this new platform this year, we lost the ability to keep swaps hidden from new members until they'd been here for 30 days/30 posts. So the short answer is  no. Anyone can swap in Crochetville swaps. But do read the general guidelines (a sticky on the main page of the swap forum) and read the guidelines for any specific swap you are interested in. They spell out what you must do, the repercussions for failing to do so, and then the specific requirements for individual swaps (amount of money, required items, etc.). I'm sure you'll enjoy swapping with us next year!

Patty

Rebby, we used to, but when we moved to this new platform this year, we lost the ability to keep swaps hidden from new members until they'd been here for 30 days/30 posts. So the short answer is  no. Anyone can swap in Crochetville swaps. But do read the general guidelines (a sticky on the main page of the swap forum) and read the guidelines for any specific swap you are interested in. They spell out what you must do, the repercussions for failing to do so, and then the specific requirements for individual swaps (amount of money, required items, etc.). I'm sure you'll enjoy swapping with us next year!

Patty

So. Patty, do we get applications and choose one iPod the 3 things in thar category or all three? Will we get a questionnaire om our buddy we send to as to likes and dislikes?

So. Patty, do we get applications and choose one iPod the 3 things in thar category or all three? Will we get a questionnaire om our buddy we send to as to likes and dislikes?

Hi Crochetslacker :hook

I think you might need to edit or repost, I don't think you meant to say "one ipod", did you? ;-)  Anyhow I at least am unable to understand the first question.

To answer your second question: There is a questionnaire for each swap that you can fill out and send to the swap hostess and she sends it to your partner.  You  can look in the threads in the Swap section for current and past swaps and get a good feel for what they are like and see the questionnaires.  there are also stickied threads that you can read, of guidelines and tips.  eta:  Now i realize Mary Jo linked the rules in her post #27 above.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan

Can we send gifts to our buddy along with the assigned item. I love to find different and unusual things to gift.

As I understand it the KISS swaps are for only the one item specified, and there shoould not be any extras included.

For other swaps you can send extras if you want, but realize your partner may not send extras.  Some people really are not into the extras so much.  The extras do not count toward the minimum requirement for the swap.  I think all this is pretty well covered in the guidelines.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan

Just so you friends know. My iPod has a mind of its own. It talked and types what it wants regardless. Please always let me know if there is a problem. That is why I have this set up for instant notice of replies.

I can't wait to participate in the swaps but please know I need some hand holding as I have never done this before and want to make a very happy partner. I love my craft and love to share.Beckey......please call me Beckey rather than my croshet slacker monicker......it sounds irresponsible now, several years later.

Oooh magic ball and starts with a were my favorites this year woohoo. Scavenger hunt was also kind of comical my friends looked at me a little weird when I asked for some of the things that I couldnt immediately find.

Beckey, no fears--each swap has the guidelines for it posted in the first post and the survey in the second post for each individual swap thread. Directions are given as to what items must be sent, how much money must be spent  (Spent, not sent!), and the deadline dates. We pretty much hold your hand through these.  :lol

Please pay attention to the requirements; swappers can amass reputation points for not fulfilling their parts of the swap (like sending delivery confirmation numbers to the hostess) and if someone amasses 10 points in one year, they are banned from swapping. No one's ever had that happen to them, although we have had to ban swappers who never sent a swap package to their partner.

No extra items are allowed in the KISS exchanges. That's the whole point. They're fun, they're fast, they're budget-friendly. In item swaps like the shawl swap, for example, people often send little items along with the shawl--tea, or lip balms, or notebooks, or mugs, or what have you. I've been in so many swaps I ask my partner not send too many little extras, but to spend any extra money they might have wanted to spend on the yarn for my item instead, so we can both enjoy a different yarn (them working it, me wearing or using it).  Swaps like Favorite Color are actually all about the items--you put together a box, meeting the monetary minimum requirement, of things in your partner's favorite color.

So some swaps involved crocheting an item, and some don't. Again, all the particulars will be spelled out for you in the guidelines for each swap, so just make sure you read carefully the directions for any swap you're interested in.

Kathy, thanks for directing Beckey, and any other new swappers, to the current swaps and the archived swap thread to check out swaps, and thanks, MaryJo, for linking to the swap guidelines (prominently posted on the main page of the swap forum). These can give you a really good idea of what's exchanged in any particular swap, and help you decide which swaps you might be interested in. Remember, you can only sign up for two at a time, even though we offer three at a time, so choose wisely (as the crusader in the Indiana Jones movie told our hero ;) ).

Magic ball was super fun last year; I recommend it. But then so was Starts With a ..., and I love making dishcloths, so choosing from the January list is practically impossible for me.

Patty

Edited by DesertCrocheter

So of all the listed swaps you can choose 2 for each time period.

Edit: please forgive my state of confusion. I am dealing with Shingles And never had them before.

Edited by crochetslacker

If I were you for your first one, I would pick a KISS.  They are pretty simple.  You fill out the questionaire and get to know your partner, before you make and send what the KISS is about.

Just my opinion.  As you pick, everyone will be willing to help and the hostess usually put a nubie to swaps with someone who has doe a few.

The main thing to remember is to have fun and get to know a new friend.

You can sign up for either one or two swaps a month, if the idea or theme of the swap appeals to you. TampaDoll offers great advice, that a KISS is a great first swap in which to participate. That way, you can an idea of how swaps are run, what the expectations are, what you can accomplish in a specific time frame, and all that good stuff. Because we have a mailing deadline, the KISS exchanges really have a three-week turn-around time from when you get your partner to when your item needs to be mailed, but since it's just one item, that shouldn't be a problem. We have a reigning champ, who will remain anonymous, who actually made her KISS item the very afternoon she got her partner assignment and mailed it out the next day!

Again, we still have two active swaps going on, so please feel free to lurk in those threads to see how swaps work.

Just so you friends know. My iPod has a mind of its own. It talked and types what it wants regardless. Please always let me know if there is a problem. That is why I have this set up for instant notice of replies.

I can't wait to participate in the swaps but please know I need some hand holding as I have never done this before and want to make a very happy partner. I love my craft and love to share.Beckey......please call me Beckey rather than my croshet slacker monicker......it sounds irresponsible now, several years later.

I tried to type iPad but this mystery machine has it's own language and I am not always up on my rest/sleep so I miss details sometimes. I apologize.

You can sign up for either one or two swaps a month, if the idea or theme of the swap appeals to you. TampaDoll offers great advice, that a KISS is a great first swap in which to participate. That way, you can an idea of how swaps are run, what the expectations are, what you can accomplish in a specific time frame, and all that good stuff. Because we have a mailing deadline, the KISS exchanges really have a three-week turn-around time from when you get your partner to when your item needs to be mailed, but since it's just one item, that shouldn't be a problem. We have a reigning champ, who will remain anonymous, who actually made her KISS item the very afternoon she got her partner assignment and mailed it out the next day!

Again, we still have two active swaps going on, so please feel free to lurk in those threads to see how swaps work.

Sounds ridiculous I know from someone crocheting 6 years but, I have never made any of the KISS items listed. It would be embarrassing for me to jump in and make a mess.

I do have a dishcloth I would like to try.

I love to feed peoples wishes for something they want and don't yet have. It is fun!