DesertCrocheter

2014 Crochetville Swap Schedule

The 2014 Swap Schedule is here!

We've tweaked the scheduling a bit to help people participate in more swaps, so there are fewer overlapping swaps now. We have the return of some old favorites and a couple of new KISS and smaller swaps. Plus, for those crocheters who also like to knit, we're going to have a swap where we exchange knitted and/or crocheted items (the swapper will get to choose which technique and what kinds of items they like on the survey form).

So come join us for some swapping fun! Make a new friend, try a new technique, make an item you've never made before, or let your imagination run wild with Starts With A... or Favorite Color swaps. We chat, we play games, we have fun shopping and crocheting and swapping, and we'd love to have you join us!

Sign-ups will start in mid-December for the January swaps, so send yourself a reminder that it's almost swap time!

2014 Swap Schedule

January 1 - February 15:  KISS: dishcloth (Mom4x)

Magic Ball Swap ($15) (auntbubbels)

Starts With A…  ($25)   (Kidge) Two choices:  your partner's screen                                                                  name/real name or a package based on the letters in the                                                                             word Olympics ™  

March 1 - April 15:  Favorite Color ($25) (Tiffer 93)

Pet Swap ($15)  (sahm2g1b)

Amigurumi (DesertCrocheter)

May 1 - June 16 : KISS: sachet  (auntbubbels)

Scavenger Hunt ($25) (DesertCrocheter)

Bookmark Swap  (Mom4X)

July 1 - August 15: Shawl Swap (Kidge)

Knit for Crocheters ($25)  (DesertCrocheter)

Stitchmarker Swap ($10)  (Tiffer93) Handmade or unusual stitchmarkers,                                     only—no easily available Big Box Store stitchmarkers allowed

Yarn Swap ($25) (auntbubbels)  Swappers choice! Specify what yarn, what                                                        colors, and let your partner spoil you.

September 1 - October 15:  Tea Cozy (sahm2g1b)

KISS: hot pad (kidge)

Purses and Totes (Mom4x)

November 1 - December 15:  Holiday Gift Exchange  ($25) (Tiffer93)

Stocking Stuffer ($10) (DesertCrocheter)

Ornament Exchange (Mom4x)

Edited by DesertCrocheter
  • Like 3

I see a few I would like to do too  [ was hoping to see the kiss ornament swap, sigh :(  ] but the others will be fun

Sorry, becky, some swaps are on a regular rotation (like java jamboree and tea cozy, which swap years, and pet swap, which is every other year), so they'll be offered on year and not the next. That's to try and keep swapping fresh for our many repeat swappers. But I'll see what I can do.

WooHoo  ......  I'm excited  :yay

Printed out the schedule and put it in my calendar.   (yes I am just a little anal retentive  :reyes )

Sorry, becky, some swaps are on a regular rotation (like java jamboree and tea cozy, which swap years, and pet swap, which is every other year), so they'll be offered on year and not the next. That's to try and keep swapping fresh for our many repeat swappers. But I'll see what I can do.

I can understand that, and I have only done the  ornament one once but really enjoyed it (the kiss swaps are great, but then they are all fun) 

What is the KISS swap? Also, an ornament swap sounds fun! I'll have to keep my eye out for that in years to come. I'm surprised there isn't a hat swap! There was the scarf/cowl swap the last two years so now we're full up on scarves, let's get some hats to wear with them!! :lol

• Like 1

What is the Magic Ball swap?  Is it just yarns tied together or are there trinkets inside the "yarn winding" (not  techical term, I know--haha didn't know what to call it)?

I'd love to see this one return, too. 

Let me address questions in turn, but start off with a general statement. There are only 12 months a year, and up through this year, we had overlapping swaps which prevented swappers from participating in some swaps because of our swap limit. So in 2014, we're trying a new schedule to see if that allows people to participate in more swaps without overextending themselves and failing to send packages. That's no fun for anyone. It means we're offering a smaller number of swaps than in previous years, but it means that people who missed a swap because they were already participating in two will not have that happen this year.

We also have a finite number of volunteer swap hostesses, who all have families and jobs and school (and often all three). I try not to overtax any one hostess by assigning her too many swaps because swaps should be fun for us, too, right? That means some swaps don't get offered every year, and some swaps that were a bust (like this year's birthday swap or the KISS headband) don't or won't reappear. It's just a simple scheduling issue.

But, mixing it up every year keeps swaps fresh and exciting for all of us! Crochetville has been hosting swaps for over 8 years, so a lot of us have done the same swaps several times; we vary the swaps every year so there's something to catch the eye of new swappers as well as tried and true (I'm not saying old!   :P  ) swappers like me.

We had a hat swap two years ago, and only 7 swappers. Swaps take up a lot of behind the scenes time for our volunteer hostesses, and so we have a minimum number of participants that need to sign up to make it work.

While details are offered for each individual swap in their first posts, here's the FYI: KISS are Keep It Simple Swaps, where a single item and nothing else is exchanged. So this year, we're swapping a sachet (with or without the scented filling, that's up to each swapper), a dishcloth, and a hot pad. No other items are allowed to be sent in a KISS exchange; it's just a fast 4-week swap that was on hiatus this year as we did the Year of the Granny Square. The Magic Ball swap was introduced this year and was a big success, which is why it's returning in 2014. In this swap, you spend about a maximum of $15 on a ball of yarn and small goodies. You then wrap the ball of yarn around the goodies, so your partner has to unwrap the ball (and re-wind it) to find the little things you've sent (like a tape measure, or stitch markers, or even another ball of yarn). Just search "magic yarn ball" on the internet and you'll see some gorgeous magic balls.

Oh, and the Scavenger Hunt? It's just that. I'll post a list of items that must be included in the package, and another list of additional items that can also be included. The swapper who sends the most items off both lists, and sends the earliest, wins a prize I donate. One year the prize was a small Namaste bag for crochet hooks. One year the scavenger hunt theme was flowers; another year it was just random stuff. Who knows what it will be this year? Stay tuned!

The upshot is, we try to offer a variety of swaps for a variety of budgets. And we try to come up with new ideas every year to keep it fun.

Interested swappers can always search the archived swap forum to see what's been exchanged in particular swaps in previous years to get an idea if any individual swap would be fun for them.

Phew! That was a long explanation for a few short questions, eh?  Please post here or send me a pm with any questions, comments, or ideas. Magic Ball was smokeyp81's idea in 2012, and what a great idea it was. We love to hear from you!

patty

• Like 2

Thank you DesertCrocheter, just wanted to say that we (I'm sure I can say for all of us at the 'ville) appreciate you and all our swap hostessess!!!!! YAY!!!! Thank you girls!!!

• Like 1

Patty, i really appreciate reading about the decision making that goes into the swap schedule. I know the jobs of swap coordinator and hostesses are huge and time consuming. Knowing more about the decisions helps me appreciate you all even more. I only see the tip of the iceberg i know!

• Like 1

Great line up, Patty! Looking forward to several swaps next year!

Edited by sahm2g1b

We like to keep the behind the scenes stuff mysterious and magical.  ;)  Seriously, I have a lot of swap ideas every year that I have to be talked out of, LOL. I really think the new scheduling will work, because now there will be two weeks down time between all swaps, so everyone can start planning for the next month, rather than wondering which swap they need to pass on because they can't do all of them because they're already signed up for two. So no deciding between Starts With A,.. or Favorite Color--you can do both!

Personally, tea cozy and pet swap are two of my favorites, but I'm really looking forward to Knit for Crocheters. I'm already working on the survey for that one, so if anyone has any ideas or input, let me know!

What is the KISS swap? Also, an ornament swap sounds fun! I'll have to keep my eye out for that in years to come. I'm surprised there isn't a hat swap! There was the scarf/cowl swap the last two years so now we're full up on scarves, let's get some hats to wear with them!! :lol

Didn't see anyone answer this question, so I will.  A KISS swap is Keep It Simple Swap.  It means you can only make the item the KISS is for.  Like the dish cloth swap.  Believe me it is hard to do that, but you do.  They are a lot of fun.

I loved the ornament swap. that was so much fun.

Okay, everybody, thank Mom4x, who graciously volunteered to host the Ornament Exchange in November of next year (she hosted this one before, so she's a pro at it). Thank, Mom4x! I hope Santa Claus is extra nice to you for doing back-to-back swaps next year!

Edited by DesertCrocheter

Okay, everybody, thank Mom4x, who graciously volunteered to host the Ornament Exchange in November of last year (she hosted this one before, so she's a pro at it). Thank, Mom4x! I hope Santa Claus is extra nice to you for doing back-to-back swaps next year!

Thanks to you and Mom4X I've never done that swap, but that is one my list for next year!!!!  Thank you so much!

That is soo awesome!! Thank you mom4x !!! (mom4x was my swap partner last year on this one, love my ornament)

I am definately signing up for this one!!

Does Crochetville have rules for new swappers on this site?  I haven't swapped here before, but I see lots of swaps I'd like to do next year.

Patty wrote this earlier in the thread

KISS are Keep It Simple Swaps, where a single item and nothing else is exchanged. So this year, we're swapping a sachet (with or without the scented filling, that's up to each swapper), a dishcloth, and a hot pad. No other items are allowed to be sent in a KISS exchange; it's just a fast 4-week swap that was on hiatus this year as we did the Year of the Granny Square.

Will there be applications sent out? Also, do we choose only one item in ant swap date to send or send all three? Can we send gifts to our buddy along with the assigned item. I love to find different and unusual things to gift.