Sign in to follow this  
LaVonneK

knitting needles, what type?

I've recently learned how to knit, like a week ago from my bf's mother.  I have a few straight aluminum needles in different sizes.  She taught me on a pair of size 6 circular needles.  Love them.  Now the question, what type of needles do you like?  (what brand name and what made of).  I know I love my bamboo crochet hooks, they seem to slide easier for me .  And I like susan bates hooks.  But when it comes to needles  I don't know where to start.  What are some of the basic sizes used.  I would love to eventually learn to knit socks.  And where is the best  (meaning the cheapest) place to start my collection?  Right now I am still practicing on wash cloth patterns and watching youtube alot.  My bf's mom said I picked it up pretty quick.  I will post pics of my wash clothes in another post.  Thanks for any help given!!

I started out with a set of Boye interchangeable needles my sister gave me when she no longer wanted them. I have since passed those on to a friend who is learning to knit because I don't want them anymore... my sister totally converted me into an Addi fan. My sister has EVERY set from Addi. I kid you not - every single one. I only have the Lace Click Long Tips set, and I adore them. I can't remember for certain what metal they are made of... I want to say nickel, but I think they might only be nickel plated something else. I've also got a few fixed circulars from them. The Addi interchangeable sets are expensive but they're an investment worth making, in my opinion. They give you a variety of size options to work with that will cover a lot of your needs. There really is no such thing as a "most commonly used size", because everyone has their own preferences. I personally use the smaller sizes (4-7) most but I also work mostly with lighter weight yarns, and I like the lace tips (which are more tapered) because I do a lot of lace knitting and the finer tips do make it much easier to work with lace weight yarns. 

I also have some Knitter's Pride needles that are great, and they are less pricey than the Addi's. I have several fixed circulars from their Dreamz and Cubics lines (both wood) and love all of them, I will eventually get the interchangeable sets of both of them. I know the Cubics seem like a weird concept (they are square, not round like other needles) but they are quite comfortable to work with. My sister has several of their sets as well, and she likes them a lot. She said the Karbonz are great. 

I don't have any straight needles - I like the versatility of circulars, you can use them for pretty much everything.

Now, the DPNs I have are all Susan Bates. I don't use them a lot, so as of right now I have not felt a need to upgrade those to a more expensive brand. I have a sock set as well as several other sets in varying, larger sizes. When I make hats I tend to use size 8 or 9 needles, so I have some 16 and 18 inch fixed circulars and DPNs in those sizes for hats. I don't have much use for DPNs otherwise, though. I like to have them for just in case, but they don't see a lot of use.

I've bought most of my needles at local yarn shops because I was able to see and feel the needles first to make my decisions. Not all yarn stores will allow such "hands on" shopping - I'm lucky in that my local yarn shops are great about that; I've been allowed (after asking!) to open up the packages of needles to take them out and really get a good feel for them before buying them. The few I have bought online have been from Amazon when I wasn't able, for whatever reason, to get what I needed from my LYS but I already knew exactly what I wanted, so there was no question if I was getting something I'd like or not. 

Honestly, the only way to know what you will like best is to try as many different kinds of needles as you can. If your bf's mom has lots of options, perhaps you can borrow some of her needles to try out different materials/brands and find what works best for you before you make the investment in your own needles. 

I have the lighted ones, I have the Boye interchangeable (I do not like) and I have the old aluminum ones my Mom use to have.  I also have the regular circular needles.

I finally bought a set from - e-knittingneedles.com  They are bamboo and I just love the feel of them and the way they slide thru the yarn.  They are not overly expensive, infact they are having a big sale now.

They also carry Crochet hooks.

Thankyou Both.  I would like to get a set of interchangeables.  She has plastic ones and they click together not sure what brand and she loves them.  She says they are over 20 years old. And I noticed her dpns are wooden.   I am going to ask her opinion next time I see her too.  She lives about a half hour away and we don't get over there as much as we would like to.  Mainly because of work.