waysouth

Question re posting a link

Am I allowed to post a Pinterest link to a particular board here?

I have found a source of wonderful patterns from a magazine no longer published. The pinner has scanned them

Im really not sure, sorry, you might check the rules and regs thread and see if it's listed as a no no, or not.......sorry.

Did have a look, but I'm not very good at interpreting rules and regulations

It would depend on when the mag was published as a lot of those patterns are still under copyright,  and most of  the sites that do this are not allowed. You could PM or email one of the owners and they will tell you wheather it is allowed

The short answer is no.  Just because a publication is no longer in print or easy to obtain - scanning and sharing patterns is still a copyright violation.

I'll leave the rest to Amy to explain.

Edited by RoseRed

As others have mentioned, the answer will depend upon the date of publication of the magazine, so we can determine if copyright is still in place.

Even though the magazine is no longer being published, it is possible that they sold their copyrights to another party when they went out of business. It's also possible that the contracts with the designers specified the copyrights reverted to them if the magazine ceased publication or went out of business.

If the magazine is old enough, it's possible that the copyright term has expired, and the patterns are now considered in the public domain.

If you'd like to send me the link in question via private message, I can take a look and see if the link can be shared here in accordance with our site policies.

The short answer is no.  Just because a publication is no longer in print or easy to obtain - scanning and sharing patterns is still a copyright violation.

I'll leave the rest to Amy to explain.

actually the question was about posting a link, not posting scanned patterns. From what I have read, even if patterns are still under copyright it is legal to look, but illegal to steal

I've seen the links in question. The links are to magazines published in the 1980s, which would still be under copyright protection if the company that published them still existed.

We do not know whether the magazines sold their copyrights to another entity as they were winding down their business operations. We do not know if the original contracts with the designers specified when or if copyrights reverted to the designers.

Because we do not know the copyright status, our forum policies do not allow the links to be posted here on the forum or shared with other members.

Thank you for your understanding and for following our site policies.

actually the question was about posting a link, not posting scanned patterns. From what I have read, even if patterns are still under copyright it is legal to look, but illegal to steal

I understand that but you're posting the link to the scanned patterns. 

Scanning them and posting them (I realize that you didn't do it) is the violation.  The Ville has stricter polices than just following copyright law.  Learning the ropes here can take some getting used to but I think it's well worth it.  I think the Ville is awesome. 

If we allowed links to copyright infringement to be posted here, we could be held legally liable for contributory copyright infringement. That is why we do not allow links to any material that appears to have been posted without permission of the copyright holder.

It can be illegal to download scanned copies of patterns. Remember how Napster was taken down: they sued the people who DOWNLOADED the infringing songs, not necessarily the people who actually POSTED the infringing songs. If you visit a site with infringing material, even if you don't actively download and save the jpg images to your computer, your browser usually saves a copy of that image in your temporary files, so technically speaking, you have downloaded and stored the images on your computer.

Crochetville is always going to be on the side of protecting the copyrights of designers, publishers, and others in the crochet business. We aren't going to be party to helping direct others to infringing or even potentially infringing material.

As I said, I will not post.

I have never heard of Napster.

I didn't really want a long lecture with capitalised "shouting", I'm not a child, nor am I stupid