Wanting to make easy half-finger gloves

jlvking

Question

Last night I lost my absolutely favorite pair of fingerless gloves. (Actually they had half fingers.) I must have knocked them off the electric cart I was using at the grocery store. Called the store but no one turned them in. :(

So now I am again thinking about making a pair but have not been successful in the past. Can anyone recommend a basic EASY pattern? Even a regular glove pattern that I can leave the fingertips off of. Something that can be used with a DK or worsted yarn.

18 answers to this question

To my understanding, based on the difference between gloves and mittens, Fingerless Gloves have partial, open fingers and Handwarmers/ Fingerless Mitts/ Wristwarmers are completely open on the end without covering each individual finger. 

On the otherhand, Lion brand yarn has a "Wrister" pattern that is open but with a partial thumb cover. Wonders in patterns and names never cease. 

If you scroll down on the same page of the link I included, it's there. If not showing for you, it can also be found under the sites' Index page:  No Sew Fingerless Mitts

I scrolled down to Accessories, and clicked on that.  It had some fingerless gloves patterns on it.

You're welcome. Hope it works out for you. Can't wait to see a pic of the finished gloves. :)

thankyou for the link to this pattern 

free pattern using RedHeart Soft baby and has a lot of info.

This particular pattern has a fingertip cover that can be omitted if you desire.

If you have the Nov/Dec 2009 issue of Crochet Today; pattern in it for half-finger gloves. The digital magazine is also available on their website online store.

Last but not least, Enfys.me offers a free pattern in UK or US terms.

Tip: To make the gloves longer, increase stitches above wrist area as needed or go up in hook size for larger stitches.

I've thought about the squares or a long rectangle, Becky, but I want fingers on them. It helps the arthritis in my hands. :) One of the things I liked about the pair I lost was that they went up the arm some. Not quite to the elbow but almost. Was thinking about using the sock yarn that has some elastic in it, too.

The quickest, easiest pattern is two squares--any kind--the size of your palm. Sew them together all the way down one side. Work ribbing on the top and bottom, however you like to do that. Sew the open side as far as you need to give space for your thumb.

If you don't like that idea, you could work a couple of inches of sc ribbing long enough to go around your wrist, dc into the ends of the rows with a few increases to fit your hand, dc a couple of rounds, turn and work back and forth once, join, ch 3 and work in rounds again until you like the length.

I don't like my crocheted ribbing, so I knit that part.

Archived