Spud and Chloe substitute or Cotton/Wool blend

samslaughter

I recently purchased a crochet pattern for fingerless gloves off Etsy that suggests a sweater yarn by Spud and Chloe. It's so so pretty, and I really love the example picture of what the gloves should look like using the yarn suggested.

However, after a quick google I realized that Spud and Chloe is waaay too expensive. Like around $15-$16 expensive. I'm used to $4.50 + coupon/sale for Caron Simply Soft at Joann's or Michaels. The other difference here is that S&C is a wool/cotton blend, and Caron is acrylic.

Does anyone know any good, affordable alternatives? The Spud and Chloe Sweater Yarn is 4-5 gauge worsted, 55% wool/45%cotton, and yardage is 160. I'm looking for something with some earthy colors. A dark camo green or a grey would be nice. 

Please help! Thanks :)

Hi, welcome ot the ville :hook

How many skeins of the Sweater do you need? It might be worth a splurge for some really nice yarn for a special project.  You might find discontinued colors on sale somewhere.  

For a cotton-wool yarn, i don't think Simply Soft would be a great sub.  For one thing, it is actually a light worsted so it is a little thinner than the worsted.  Also it is shiny which would be a really different look and feel.

Do you have a Hobby Lobby?  They have a cotton called I Love This Cotton which is very soft and a bit fuzzy, it might work well.  http://shop.hobbylobby.com/search/?keyword=Yarn%20bee&brand=I%20Love%20this%20Cotton&fiber=100%25%20Cotton&F_ALL=Y

Brown Sheep makes a cotton-wool yarn that comes in many colors but i guess it is DK-lt. worsted according to their site.  Cascade may have a blend, they usually have pretty good prices.  

those are nice looking gloves!  

Ok now that I see them, i would probably go for a 100% wool, and you could do superwash or not.   Cascade 220 comes either way and is in a ton of colors.  Webs is one place that has a good selection http://www.yarn.com/product/webs-knitting-yarns-cascade-220/  but to see all the colors go to the Cascade site.  2 skeins will run you about $16 and you should have some left over.  Sometimes the craft stores will carry Patons wool.  If you have ann LYS be sure to look there, they may have something on sale for a good price.  

or an acrylic-wool would be good,  Woolease would be available at the craft stores.  For more colors look at Plymouth Encore http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/0108F3D0-DFDC-4C50-B4D8-F23CE2A3BF01/productID/3FE93C14-D6F5-4A35-A51A-0F5B1075DEE2/   The wool % in these is not high but I think it does add some warmth and softness.  I just made (knit) my husband a hat out of Encore and he wore it hunting on a really cold day and reported it was warm.    

Archived