scarf length

meandmy243

Question

I'm crocheting scarfs right now with different stitches no real patterns.. How long do I make them.. I personally don't like them more than hand to hand width but if I am making one for someone taller than me do I make them longer.. The one I am working in says 62 inches. That is my height... (Its a pinterest pattern vstitch)

6 answers to this question

I'm pretty tall, and I like long scarves -- 60 inches or more. A short friend of mine likes them very short. I did overhear a couple of women saying tha tthey would have bought handmade scarves at our recent charity sale if they'd been longer. and these weren't especially tall women. Personally, I think a longer scarf is more versatile; it can be looped around in different ways for different looks. I think you're on the right track.

I like to have a variety in my wardrobe, though with longer lengths they can be worn numerous ways so I think in general people tend to go for longer scarves. I have heard a scarf should be as long as the person is tall. My two favorite scarves I have made are 36 inches for a short, "just enough to keep warm" length, and a 60 inch one that I wear several different ways since it has the length to be a little more versatile with it. (I am 64 inches tall, for reference.) 

My rule of thumb when making a gift is the person's height plus 20 inches.

this allows it be wrapped once around the neck and the ends fall more or less to their waist.

But then I always wanted a scarf that wrapped my neck and then made a layer under my coat between me and the wind whipping up the Hudson trying to freeze you while waiting for trains or walking ot the station.

Because of the way it "piles" around the neck, wider might need to be longer.

Great Question I recently made one for my fiance who is back east and wants it wider since all the scarfs he keeps seeing are very narrow and wouldn't keep his neck warm he is 6 foot so I made a 10 inch so he can fold over (5 inch) but allows for it to be thicker/wider around the back of the neck and 72 inch long...This will allow him to also use to to over his ear & head as well if need be..like this infinity scarves I keep seeing every where :O) this year..those are 8 x 80 attached at the 2 ends to make a nice bunchie cowl type scarf and covers the head/ears & can wrap around the neck as well :O) the layered look

Unless the pattern calls for a specific length (I made four of them last year for gifts and one for me using a specific pattern and there was no way to either make it longer or shorter), it can be any length. I am 5' 1" and I make scarves for me about 60 inches (my height). I do a lot for charity and try to make them a minimum of 60 inches, then make others longer to accommodate taller people. I also make shorter ones since some just like them tucked into their coats and not be flapping below the hem. However, when it comes to children's scarves, those are a bit shorter so that they don't trip.

LI Roe

Archived