I'm looking for a line of cotton yarns

Kittaly

Question

I went first to Lily's Sugar and Cream and the Peaches and Cream lines but their colors are so limited. I don't like to mix brands within a project so I need a line that has a fairly wide variety of colors. I'm mainly looking for solid colors.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

22 answers to this question

I have the same issue. I like the tougher characteristics of the cheaper cotton worsteds, but hate their limited palettes. There's no consistency, either, in the range of colors carried by, say, Joann or Hobby Lobby. One in a while, I'll stumble over a pretty denim blue, soft rose, grass green, or buttery yellow, but that's about it. The pricier cottons are too soft, to me, for making small clutch purses without lining. Wish the sugar n cream and bernat handicrafters would offer more subtle colors.

Sorry folks I don't get online everyday like I used to anymore.

Oh thank you Granny!

Herter, I'm looking as big as I can get. And I do shop directly from the manufacture when I can unless it's from a small scale reseller because I really dislike the big box stores.

I know you mentioned you thought Lily sugar n cream had a limited selection, and I am not exactly sure how large of a selection you want, but I like to order lily sugar n cream online from joann fabrics. They have a good selection there. I use it to design most of my amigurumis. Also, you could try to visit the lily sugar n cream website and order it right from them, then you can see all of the colors they offer, and order any of them.

I am currently using "I Love this Cotton" yarn for some children's slippers.  It is very soft and easy to work with.  Not as inexpensive as I would have liked (over $3 for a 3 ounce skein).  There is quite a selection of colors and multi-colored skeins which is great for a mix and match.

If you are worried about the 'chemicals' in mercerized cotton, don't be.  The process has been around for over 150 years, and the chemical used in the process is lye.  The lye does not remain in the cotton, it causes a reaction/breakdown of the plant fibers which (along with stretching and heat) cause the fibers to have different properties (shiny, smoother).   Lye has been used in food processing for hundreds or more probably thousands of years (olives, lutefisk, hominy, lots of other things).

The most 'chemical' thing about mercerized cotton might be the dyes, but they are probably the same as you'd find in plain cotton.

It's 100% safer than toxic flame retardants that are still present in most children's products.

Kittaly, it is frustrating to be far from an LYS, i know.  My "L"YS are an hour away.  Half hour to Hobby Lobby or a small Joanns, hour to the medium size Joanns.  Fortunately online ordering is easy and offers a lot of choices, for those times when we can't travel to buy yarn.  (I do love my LYS and try to support them as much as I reasonably can...there is no substitute for wandering around experiencing the array of yarns!)  

For online ordering, like i said Halcyon is great because of all the sample cards they offer.  Those are quite hard to find these days.  Halcyon has great overall service.  Other places I've ordered from and had great service are Patternworks (they have a "test drive" where you can order certain yarns for free shipping and return it free for a refund if you don't like it), Paradise Fibers, Jimmy Beans, Webs.  I think there are several past threads about online places to order that people have had good experiences with.  

I don't think I have ever bought any organic cotton so i can't recommend anything in that regard.  I know there are some cottons that have a natural color, like very pale green for example, so they are not dyed at all.  There is also organic wool yarn, and wools that come in various neutral shades without dyes.  

Kathy, that was my reason for asking here. I wish I had a LYS. Locally the closest thing I have is Walmart heck I have to go a half hour away just to get to a craft store and at that my choices are either Michale's or AC Moore, and another half hour I have Joann's. It's just awful. I told my husband if we hit the lottery I'm going to open one.

In December it will be a year since I started crocheting so I'm still kind of new to this and unfamiliar with most of the online vendors yet. And yeah I guess you're right about abut the dye never really thought of that. My husband suggested we look for organic cotton for the baby toys at least.

Thanks. those colors are lovely, and  that is certainly worth checking out. Usually, I make only small items with cotton, so I don't mind springing for something special once in a while. Not like my zillions of acrylic afghans!

Have you tried looking at weaving stores?  I would imagine there are several in the Atlanta area, and they should have lots of cottons.  for example, maybe use perle cotton, double stranded if you want it to be heavier http://halcyonyarn.com/products/yarn/082.html

replying to the thread in general so far....

I think cotton just is not a "cheap" fiber at this point in time.  If we want to spend the least amount of money possible, we will be stuck with the chain store/walmart brands, which don't have a very subtle color range.  To get the feel and color we want, sometimes we just have to look a little harder, go beyond the chain stores to LYS or local weaving stores, or look online, and spend a little (or a lot!) more.  That has certainly been my experience anyway.  

I have the same issue. I like the tougher characteristics of the cheaper cotton worsteds, but hate their limited palettes. There's no consistency, either, in the range of colors carried by, say, Joann or Hobby Lobby. One in a while, I'll stumble over a pretty denim blue, soft rose, grass green, or buttery yellow, but that's about it. The pricier cottons are too soft, to me, for making small clutch purses without lining. Wish the sugar n cream and bernat handicrafters would offer more subtle colors.

Have you tried looking at weaving stores?  I would imagine there are several in the Atlanta area, and they should have lots of cottons.  for example, maybe use perle cotton, double stranded if you want it to be heavier http://halcyonyarn.com/products/yarn/082.html

Thank you so much for all the links!

The baby toys will have not much of, if any budget because I want them to be super special. The bags however I'd go with kind of cheap since they will be nothing more then market bags.

I know that mercerized cotton means it's been chemically treated would that make it off limits for baby toys. I'm not making teething toys, stuffed animals and rattles but we all know kids. :)

It seems to me that pretty much all commercial yarn is full of chemicals---they don't dye it with flower petals after all   ;) --- so I don't see why mercerized would be any different.  A precaution would be to wash the toy before giving it.  

Thank you so much for all the links!

The baby toys will have not much of, if any budget because I want them to be super special. The bags however I'd go with kind of cheap since they will be nothing more then market bags.

I know that mercerized cotton means it's been chemically treated would that make it off limits for baby toys. I'm not making teething toys, stuffed animals and rattles but we all know kids. :)

The colors that this yarn comes in are just GORGEOUS, but there's no way I could ever afford $7+ for 108 yards!!  Wow!  Talk about pricey!

Well you know, it depends on what you're making and how it will be used. Sometimes there is a bigger budget for a particular project. Color and texture can be a highly important factor in choosing a yarn. Paying more could be worth it for a special bag, for example. No budget was specified so i thought i would mention it.

I think Creme de la Creme would be good for all the things you plan to make.

Cotton Classic comes in a huge array of colors http://tahkistacycharles.com/t/yarn_single?products_id=184

There is also a lighter version http://tahkistacycharles.com/t/yarn_single?products_id=185

You could make some really pretty market bags!

Brown Sheep makes some yarn that is mostly cotton with a little wool http://brownsheep.com/yarns/cotton-fleece?view=category

Lots of colors.

Cascade usually has lots of colors in their yarns, i am not sure of the names of their cottons. Webs has their own line called valley yarns, you might look for their cottons at yarn.com

The colors that this yarn comes in are just GORGEOUS, but there's no way I could ever afford $7+ for 108 yards!!  Wow!  Talk about pricey!

I just finished two bibs(show and tell under baby section) and decided to try the Creme de la Creme.  I thought the colors were bright and it was nice to work with.  I purchased mine online from Walmart.com.  I bought a couple other things so it was 2.35 a skein and shipping free site to store. 

I think Creme de la Creme would be good for all the things you plan to make.

Cotton Classic comes in a huge array of colors http://tahkistacycharles.com/t/yarn_single?products_id=184

There is also a lighter version http://tahkistacycharles.com/t/yarn_single?products_id=185

You could make some really pretty market bags!

Brown Sheep makes some yarn that is mostly cotton with a little wool http://brownsheep.com/yarns/cotton-fleece?view=category

Lots of colors.

Cascade usually has lots of colors in their yarns, i am not sure of the names of their cottons. Webs has their own line called valley yarns, you might look for their cottons at yarn.com

Since Peaches and Cream changed hands, their color choice has gone down the tubes. 

Have you looked at Lion Brand?

Hobby Lobby's I Love This Cotton is also nice, but I found it to be very soft.

I like Red Heart Creme de la Creme http://www.shopredheart.com/default.aspx?PageID=62&CategoryID=66&ProductID=5443&RootCatCode=01000

I have not used it myself, but Knit Picks has a cotton that I think is called Dishie.

What are you making?  there are other cottons out there that I might suggest for clothing or accessories but would be too delicate or too expensive for washcloths.  

Archived